Home Forums General Sharing top tips on saving money

Smileyday Posted 4 months ago
Sharing top tips on saving money

Top tips for saving money
With all the price rises happening and about to start with the energy increases I got to thinking about sharing ideas on what we do to save money or cut expenses, let’s share a few.

Mine are
Never put the oven on with only one item in it…I fill it with either making scones, put a baking potato in for warming in microwave another time. Stick a tin of rice pudding in a dish with a sprinkling of nutmeg ( tastes like home made) or bake a cake. Takes a bit of planning but I’m getting there.

Might be obvious but I turn the heating off an hour before going to bed ( makes me actually go to bed to keep warm instead of sitting up)

Try to food shop less often , the more I go the more treats I buy ( which I certainly don’t need !! )

3 likes & 22 replies
    • Forestbather 26th January 2022 at 11:27 am

Cook in bulk – make enough for 5/6 meals at a time. This means you can buy in larger quantities which is generally cheaper and you are also saving time and energy cooking.

Shower and hair wash at the gym.

Give up meat/fish.

Packed lunches, tea flask and hip flask for days out – pubs are so expensive.

Make a pledge to only buy household items secondhand or on FB marketplace – also vital for the environment/recycling.

Work out when your supermarket discounts things and swoop!!

Don’t buy bottles of water. Carry a container and refill. Vital for the environment too.

Download books free from the library or book share with mates.

Don’t buy outfits for weddings/parties etc – borrow from friends – none of you will ever wear it again so might as well get some use!!

Car share. It’s more fun getting lost with someone else anyway.

Always check best prices when renewing insurances.

Don’t just reinvest savings after a fixed term or when your mortgage deal expires – shop around like a crazy person.

Listen to Martin Lewis. He knows stuff.

I could go on ….. I am a tight arse like my Dad was.

Ps – rechargeable batteries.

• Smileyday 26th January 2022 at 11:38 am

Wow, some very good ideas there🤔👍🏻, I like to call it frugal but tight ass will do 🤣 thanks for sharing

• Purple boots 29th January 2022 at 9:24 am

I’ve done most of these for a few years now, I wish I could borrow an outfit from friends for a wedding, etc, but they’re all much taller than I am.

• Christopher Leslie 30th January 2022 at 9:09 am

All of the above but I would add no central heating use halogen heaters I find that 10 mins warms the room nicely, if you have an electric shower use it, switch off the water heater. You don’t need it. Boil a kettle to do the washing up if there are only 1 or 2 of you and wash up once a day. Wear layers of clothes in the cold weather Indoors you will need less heating. Pressure cookers cook fast and keep all the flavours in. Pet food look to making your own instead of tins its not hard

• CastlegreenBobby 30th January 2022 at 3:56 pm

When you mentioned pubs being expensive for drinks it reminded me if you go to Brewers Fayre pubs it is something like £2.90 for a tea or coffee but it is also free refills so you could stay all day (using their wifi even) and have as many drinks as you want

• Purple boots 29th January 2022 at 9:26 am

I try not to turn the heating on I have a fluffy blanket with Freddie Mercury on it and I wrap myself in that but if I get too cold I go to bed😁

• Linde 29th January 2022 at 10:03 am

Great ideas, thank you. I must use the oven more effectively, have got a little lazy and don’t do much extra cooking/ baking, but it certainly makes sense.
      Other ideas like refilling water bottles, using bread wrappers for sandwich bags, we have done for a while now. Also cutting up old T-shirts for rags, mopping up spillages, etc.
      make your own cards, birthdays, greetings, they needn’t look “cheap or tatty. “
      Since lockdown postage has been quite a big factor to consider, but how were we to get to a shop when shielding for months on end? Clothes and shoes still had to be ordered, with at least £3.50 a time postage.
      Heating is a problem, especially as my son has breathing difficulties and wants to have the doors open! It has caused many an argument, we have come to some agreement now, hopefully.
      Any more good suggestions? Ready to listen and learn! Have a nice weekend, everyone, Linde

• Robert K 29th January 2022 at 12:06 pm

There is a saying ‘look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves’. I dont agree – I think ignore the pennies, but make sure you get the big decisions right.

• Mad Ralph 29th January 2022 at 3:50 pm

Rent out your home and live in the shed.

• Lindyloo28 29th January 2022 at 4:38 pm

Yes agree with all above – but one of my habits has always been to buy one cheap item and one expensive (i.e like tins of Coffee, Gravy powder/Granules and mix them. Shop less then you won’t be tempted to buy anything that takes your fancy such as clothes we all have too many as it is! Supermarkets today sell everything, so shopping local and just for items you really need is a good idea.With heating I have a small house so easy to keep warm and turn off when not needed and go to bed an hour earlier and watch the tv in bed with a hot water bottle. Also cook a lot in bulk as Curries/Spag Bowl/Chilli Con Carne freeze well.

• CastlegreenBobby 30th January 2022 at 3:52 pm

Good idea to mix quality and not so good brands. Unfortunately I dont use a lot of anything so they would go well out of date. In fact I tried to make a friend a coffee with some dated 2019 a couple of weeks ago….it wasnt good!

• Brummie Boy 29th January 2022 at 4:48 pm

Have a look at the app “Too Good To Go”, surplus food sold off cheaply at end of day at carveries, supermarkets, and local shops like Costa, etc. Type into Google Too Good To Go, and see whats available locally. 👍

• CastlegreenBobby 30th January 2022 at 3:49 pm

Im amazed at all the suggestions on here and only have a few to add…..If you use the ‘every day’ shower spray a good idea is to save a spray bottle which you put approx a 5th of a usual cleaning spray in, then top up with water so you end up paying about a 5th of the usual cost in future plus saving the environment by not using all those bottles of course

I wish I had one friend who was the same size as me but Im short and round so its not happening unfortunately.

I do do a lot of my shopping at charity shops though, especially for books and I’ve also picked up some great books from second hand book boxes in Tesco and Lidl too.

Home Bargains and Tesco sometimes have ‘refill bags’ of Carex hand wash which save a fortune in money and the environment.

I wish I liked bread thats been frozen as that would save a lot if a loaf was frozen in suitable portions.

Has anyone heard of the The Bread and Butter thing? Its a charity project where people can get £35 worth of food for £7.50. It is only set up in certain areas atm (generally in deprived ones) where volunteers make up the bags of food. You have to join (which is free) in advance and request it on a Wednesday and then they let you know on the Thursday if you’re successful and you collect on a Friday

Websites lovefoodhatewaste.com, bbcgoodfoodcom and ivaluefood.com all have ideas for using up leftovers but if you google using leftover food or similar you will get lots to go on….

All the best to everyone with their efforts to save money and quite often the environment in the process

• Smileyday 30th January 2022 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, I too have found many a bargain in the charity shops. It’s when your not particularly looking that you find a really useful bargain.
        I too try to buy refills but it often turns out to be cheaper to buy the whole thing.

Other things i have thought of is
        Wash the car yourself ( saves a fortune on paying these car wash places)
        When out for the day take a flask of hot water , a cup and some sachets of coffee with milk added
        ( Aldi do them 69p for 8 ) just think of the saving on buying a coffee out.
        Buy multi packs of everything you can and would use regularly ( saves in the long term)
        Clean your own windows ( soapy water and old rags to dry them works well )
        If living alone wash up once a day ( obviously if you have a lot of pots or visitors this won’t work)
        Use washing up water to clean muddy boots with.

I’m not tight 😁 honest !!

• CastlegreenBobby 30th January 2022 at 4:27 pm

Unfortunately I have disabilities which prevent me from cleaning the car (or windows for that matter), I even struggle with ordinary housework sometimes but usually manage by pacing myself. The washing up situation can save a fortune although I do use a dish brush to clear the food off the items before leaving it in the washing up bowl till the bowls full

• Smileyday 30th January 2022 at 4:34 pm

Bread when frozen is quite nice when toasted straight from the freezer. Most toasters have a button on saying frozen or a picture of a snow flake ❄️ On the settings. It seems to cook it for longer without burning it. Or toasted teacakes from frozen are a good idea.
          I use my slow cooker a lot too to make large meals that I then portion up and freeze.

• mel 31st January 2022 at 10:52 am

These are all great tips! Am sure you’ve already seen this, but we’ve previously rounded up some of the brilliant suggestions we’ve had from Rest Less members in our article https://restless.co.uk/money/everyday-finance/frugal-living-tips/

• Smileyday 31st January 2022 at 8:54 pm

Thanks for this …NO I hadn’t read this as I wouldn’t have a clue where to find it.
        I do find this site hard to use and I’m used to technology. It must be very difficult for anyone that isn’t.

• mel 1st February 2022 at 8:57 am

So sorry you’re finding the site hard to use – will pass this feedback on. If you click on the ‘Money’ tab on the home page and then Everyday Finance in the dropdown menu, there are lots of articles on saving money/ frugal living etc, so do have a browse if you get the chance. We’ve also got lots of other Money content on pensions and retirement planning, mortgage, insurance etc, so hope you find something useful there. Thanks again for the feedback and for starting this thread – some really great tips here!

• Robert K 25th February 2022 at 5:01 pm

Add