Home Forums General Save the BBC: oppose the abolition of the license...

Chris Frederick MHFA Posted 4 months ago
Save the BBC: oppose the abolition of the license fee.

Today the government announced the end of the BBC licence fee.

The BBC is under threat like never before and we must act now or lose this national treasure forever.

Sign the petition now with a click

https://chng.it/88dNmJ2thj

6 likes & 16 replies
    • Daisychain 17th January 2022 at 8:38 pm

I’ve commented on one of the other threads. My thoughts are be careful what you wish for. It certainly wouldn’t be cheaper as this government likes to take away rather than giving anything back. At least the BBC is currently ‘independent’ of government interference although I do wonder as they get to appoint the director general. I have a feeling that freeview would disappear or we’d be treated to more advert tv and rubbish documentaries.

• TmonT 17th January 2022 at 8:42 pm

Sorry don’t agree should be a subscription service While I agree they have done some excellent programmes drama etc it’s about choice

• SelsdonLion 17th January 2022 at 10:19 pm

I’d be quite happy with a subscription service.

• Suz Cambridge 17th January 2022 at 11:50 pm
    • kernowboy2 18th January 2022 at 3:38 am

Agree Chris. For many of us who have spent years living overseas the BBC has been our eternal link to home. I remember as a young volunteer back in the 80s living in a remote rural village in the Pacific my transistor radio and the midday news from the BBC help to keep me going when I was homesick. Or sitting in my house in a small mining town in Africa getting the Six Nations on the radio in the 90s and now switching on my TV in Pacific to get the latest news via the Beeb. So if the license fee is abolished does that also mean we also lose the BBC World Service? That would be a national…..international disaster.

• TmonT 18th January 2022 at 7:38 am

That’s part of the issue our money paying for people abroad to benefit Subscription is the way to go if it’s so good and valuable to those at home and abroad they will pay for it If BBC is so confident in its content what are they worried about

• kernowboy2 18th January 2022 at 8:51 pm

I believe the economic, diplomatic and security benefits of a free BBC World Service far out weigh the downsides. There are plenty of others out there who would be happy to fill the void with a free service that pedals their agenda.

• Solstice 19th January 2022 at 12:56 pm

Who ever own those pigeons? I’m about to launch a cat at them!
      The BBC is not independent of Government influence or interference.
      The licence fee does not cover the cost of running the corporation.
      Subscription to BBC already exists in the form of Britbox and iPlayer.
      There are more people NOT paying a licence fee than are, and despite threats and scaremongering, it is not legally enforceable to have a licence. TV Detector vans are, and always have been a complete myth.

Personally? i watch independent programming on Netflix and Amazon Prime, with the occasional BBC program thrown along side the meagre entertainment offerings of ITV.

Be it via advertising, sponsorship, or subscription, my entertainment is not wholly governed by biased, overrated, overpaid buffoonery. Self important, self created “Celebrity” from talentless hacks who couldn’t exist in real life, let alone reality TV. Slapping each other on the back for being popular, and basically sitting on a massive Lazy Susan of “shows” all featuring the same people, with the same benign tales of nothingness, and it gets sucked up like milkshake.

Don’t even get me started on “Radio” considering the over used phrase “your independent local station” which is neither independent or local, and in many case, not even “live”! Same with the BBC format for broadcasting brain numbing useless drivel to feed the numbed brains of a lazy society.

Abolish the licence fee. Abolish the BBC even. Because when that newsreader next spoon feeds you a pack of lies just remember, he is brainwashing the nation with half truths, hiding the real stories that may or may not matter to people, and it’s making him a millionaire, because he has an agent who manages all of his business affairs. He is essentially an actor, reading from a prepared statement and like all of them in front of the camera, are selling themselves as “real and caring”. If they had to get a real job, they wouldn’t know where to start.

And when you read this and get the steam coming out of your ears? Well, please remember these important messages.
      I have worked in TV
      I have worked in Radio
      I have even worked for the BBC.

Is this a rant? Nah. You don’t see me angry. I’m just plain talking. Unlike anything you will see on TV.

• Staying Alive 19th January 2022 at 1:03 pm

The BBC does have some very good Educational programs. which have now been moved over o SKY. which most people have. Or Natflix, but i can’t see how a subscription would help unless you don’t have anything else’

• Solstice 20th January 2022 at 10:56 am

You’re right on the Educational format, but they also pump out a phenomenal amount of waste. There is great stay in the adage “Jack of All Trades, Master of None”.

The BBC, as a production company, doesn’t produce quality content. They buy it in. Those producers would hawk their products elsewhere and would be better rewarded in my opinion. Discovery+ is a subscription service. They also have “Free To Air” content with some brilliant programming that is informative, educational and most of all relevant.

The TED channel on Youtube (not wholly subscription, but heading that way for some content) in fact TED has it’s own app/channel on Amazon Prime! Now, you cannot say that is not education.

If I (please don’t think I’m being disrespectful here, I merely want to invite discussion) dumb it down a bit? Let’s take “Bake Off”. The first series of The Great British Bake Off first aired on BBC Two on 17 August 2010. It is now one of Channel 4’s top rated shows. Because the production company were wooed over. So, imagine “Strictly Come Dancing” going over to commercial or subscription only. Many (Not me, I grant you) would buy into it in a 4/4 beat (Musical gag there).

Children’s TV. Seriously? as it was once said in the Simpsons (Not educational, but very clever in its pantomime approach of kids watching it, and most of the jokes aimed at the adults) “It’s difficult not to listen to what TV says – It’s spent more time raising us than you did” and there in lies the downfall.

“Screen Time” is apparently a thing now. Parents should control how long their kids spend on computers, tablets and phones? Damn right they should! They shouldn’t be on them at all! Spoon fed diet of uncontrolled garbage, lazy parenting and then wonder why when their children pay them no mind?

So yeah. for me? Again I say, get rid of this so called “National Treasure” (More national embarrassment, old boys network of overpaid, paedophilic, back slapping fakes) and let it work in an open market. Modernise and reassess where our £ should be spent, because if it were down to “Value” instead of being an (ineffectively) forced tax on the nation it would have to up it’s game substantially and drop about 200 levels of “management” which are simply fat arse, know bugger all, revenue creamers who provide no real value to Earth, let alone entertainment.

• Catwoman 21st January 2022 at 12:06 pm

Funniest post I’ve seen in a while 🤣🤣

• SteveKent 21st January 2022 at 12:17 pm

The BBC used to be an unbiased reporting service but since they have joined the popular social media fad of trying to bring down the Government or any figure in the limelight they are not unbiased and should be Unfunded

• backofbeyond 21st January 2022 at 1:44 pm

I flick through the BBC’s TV offerings most nights and throw my hands up in despair. Who are the people who lap up a schedule made up of game shows, fifty year old repeats and football? Is that worth the licence fee and the threats (and not just threats) of prosecution that not renewing it attracts?

Not really is my my conclusion – until I go over to the place we have in France, when French broadcast TV makes the BBC look like it’s the best quality service you’ll ever be offered.

Yes there are numerous subscription services available now that were not around in decades gone that are now taking the crust out of the BBC’s mouth so some considerable ‘rethinking’ is probably overdue, but being careful what you wish for is a principle worth remembering. It may not be what it once was but as Joni Mitchell once sang (on the BBC no doubt) “you don’t know what you’ve got ’till it’s gone”.

Add