Home Forums General Returning to work

Loriax Posted 4 months ago
Returning to work

Anyone else finding it, or found it difficult to get a job after a long gap or after retiring? I retired early 10 years ago (I’m 62) but now want a part time job. It’s proving impossible and soul destroying. It’s not like I want to be CEO of Google! Any tips?

2 likes & 18 replies
    • kernowboy2 19th January 2022 at 10:47 pm

What sort of jobs are you looking at Loriax? Target the labour shortage areas if you are not too worried about what the job is.

• Loriax 20th January 2022 at 3:31 pm

I’m quite happy stacking shelves in the supermarket or an online shopping picker, had 2 interviews with a couple of well known ones and had the usual ‘sorry but you’ve not been successful this time’ reply. As I said before doesn’t do much for your confidence when you’re not up to putting tins of beans out, especially when you see some of the herberts doing those jobs. Also had no response from 1 other. I applied at a garden centre, on the tills, putting out stock etc. but I don’t have any horticulture experience! I have to collect one or other of the grandsons from school at least once a week so have to fit a job in with that. I’m now considering chiselling out my kidneys and other non vital body parts and selling them on the black market for some extra cash.

• kernowboy2 20th January 2022 at 10:30 pm

If you are fit and active have you thought about being a Support Worker? The care industry has a shortage of people. But if you do go down the path of selling a kidney make sure you use a reputable broker. Good luck

• Team Rest Less 20th January 2022 at 3:11 pm

Hi Loriax,
      Thank you for your post and great plan you have there.
      Have you tried with our jobs section here https://restless.co.uk/jobs/find-a-job/ – you can search from over 50K roles from age diverse employers across the country – just input your location, and search for the type of job titles you might be interested in.
      You can also register your CV https://restless.co.uk/jobs/register-your-cv/
      Hope that helps

• SH 20th January 2022 at 3:18 pm

Hi, if you aren’t particular what job you want to do, check out your local Facebook groups, local people are always looking for jobs to be done, whether it be painting, garden clearing, cleaning, all sorts of odd jobs

• Chojo 20th January 2022 at 10:35 pm

I’m facing the prospect of returning to work after 15 years away caring for my mum, can’t say I’m looking forward to it

• Terry75 21st January 2022 at 5:58 am

I’m 65 this year and been working since I was 15. Had enough now so doing the sums and will probably say I’ve had enough in the not too distant future so my job will be up for grabs lol.

• TmonT 21st January 2022 at 6:39 am

It will happen stick with it and Iv e always believed if you don’t get a job after an interview it’s the companies loss 👍 not yours Stay positive

• Neil Hrd 21st January 2022 at 11:54 am

I know how you feel. I have just returned to the UK after 17 years working abroad. I am 66 and too old to get my visa renewed. I am also now looking for a part time job because I need the money and because I want something to do where I can interact with people. But like you I am getting nowhere. I too have been turned down for a shelf stacking job at a major supermarket, even though I have previous retail experience, only to see the same job advertised online again the next day as an urgent vacancy. So much for companies’ claims to promote diversity in employment! I have also registered with a major company in the field as a mystery shopper and all I have received in return is spam. I have tried volunteering with a major international charity as well and had no response whatever. I have come to the conclusion that nowadays, when everything is decided by AI, the algorithms companies use to sift CVs and applications can’t cope when anybody has a gap in their CV, or a work pattern that does not fit with their preconceived ideas, so we are rejected. I suspect that my working life is, sadly, over and I will have to find other ways to burn up energy.

• Loriax 22nd January 2022 at 1:18 am

Totally agree with you, especially re the AI and algorithms! Saw a notice in local Oxfam bookshop wanting volunteers, went in to enquire and was told to apply online and include CV. I was for 10 hours a week bloody volunteering! Honestly I give up.

• Pertunia 22nd January 2022 at 8:53 am

• Vu21 22nd January 2022 at 9:34 am

Same here. I find interviews challenging when you apply for professional jobs. I canbget through selection then stumble at interview stage.

Then you seem over qualified for some jobs that really interest me.

• Purple boots 22nd January 2022 at 3:27 pm

When I was made redundant in my 50s I struggled to get another job then eventually got one in a well known retail shop only for 3 years because of the recession. I had a few interviews after that but not successful in getting a job. Last year when they were asking for help to pick fruit I thought perfect opportunity as I use to do that in the school holidays but they wanted a CV and if I was successful for me to start at 5.30 in the morning as I don’t drive it was pointless.

• Loriax 22nd January 2022 at 5:25 pm

A CV for picking fruit!! Ridiculous.

• Vixster 22nd January 2022 at 7:38 pm

You definitely need a thick skin when it comes to job applications cos you will definitely be turned down by more companies than you will be offered jobs. Don’t take it personally. Do take time to put together a cv which explains your timeline and points out all your skills, achievements, knowledge that could be useful in the job you’re applying for.
      I find the indeed website ok for part-time jobs and have worked on the census and for local government for x weeks at a time.

• backofbeyond 23rd January 2022 at 9:32 am

I know it’s not much help if you can’t get a job at all but some of the ‘entry level’ jobs being offered are not worth the amount of time and effort they take. I’ve had four over the last seven or so years as I gradually eased into retirement and three of them were definitely not worth the money.

The one that was still only paid minimum wage but that was an improvement on the others where (for two of them) you were paid a fixed amount however long it took (£15 to go and photograph car accident damage for the insurance industry and £50 to go and measure / photograph houses for on-line estate agents).

Door to door surveys for a polling co sounded like a reasonable job (if you were happy going up to complete strangers and selling yourself) but making the demographic based quota for the week was close to impossible. The good one was doing traffic surveys (for government statistics) but a combination of automation and Covid saw that one off.

I’m sure there’s other jobs like that out there but finding them is the hard part. I recently noticed one of the waiters in my local cafe had a few post retirement years on the clock. He stood out from the rest of the teenage girls that are usually employed. When my daughter worked in the same restaurant some years ago she bolstered her CV by doing a barista course. They employed her so she could make decent coffee.

Add