Home Forums Health Restless legs syndrome

Shazzeroo Posted 2 months ago
Restless legs syndrome

Does anyone suffer with restless legs at night. I suffer really badly with pains in my lower legs, affecting my sleep and general wellbeing. I am on antidepressants, tho only a low dose. I run them with magnesium butter , but having little affect. Any advice most welcome.

3 likes & 21 replies
    • Team Rest Less 8th June 2022 at 4:03 pm

Hi Shazzerroo,

Thank you very much for your post, so sorry to hear about your challenge with the restless legs syndrome.

We have a paragraph here, https://restless.co.uk/health/healthy-body/common-age-related-sleep-conditions-you-should-know-about/#:~:text=Restlesslegsyndromeandperiodiclimbmovements, with some information that you may find useful.

Hope that helps.

• Shazzeroo 8th June 2022 at 4:40 pm

Hi, thanks for this reply. Yes I have been to the doctors, but they are ‘reluctant’ to give me any medication. Other than upping my medication, which I don’t really want to do.
        Has anyone tried any herbal medication that may help? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

• Arlo116 9th June 2022 at 4:31 pm

People often find that drinking tonic water that has quinine in it in the evening makes a huge difference. Easily available from supermarkets – just make sure it actually contains quinine and not a synthetic substitute.

• Shazzeroo 9th June 2022 at 4:37 pm

Aw thanks I’ll try that, will let you know how I get on.

• clivepsmith7 9th June 2022 at 6:40 pm

My Doctor prescribed Ropinirole for me, works a treat.

• clivepsmith7 9th June 2022 at 6:58 pm

Hi, so am i, 4 sheets of repeat prescriptions. The doctor can tell you if these will clash with any of your other medication. I know that I cannot cope without Ropinirole.

• Kazzy62 9th June 2022 at 9:04 pm

Yes ive suffered with resyless legs syndrome also arthritis awfully painful especially at night .

• Shazzeroo 9th June 2022 at 9:19 pm

Yes mine is more painful at night, I honestly wished I could cut my legs off it’s that bad. I thought it was something I would just have to put up with. If I’m honest I don’t want to go on more medication. But appreciate all your advice, thanks

• Shell69 15th June 2022 at 9:51 pm

I suffered with that too when I was taking anti depressant tablets. It went as soon as I came off them.

• Shazzeroo 15th June 2022 at 10:07 pm

Really, well that’s surprising. As I’ve been on them a while, but would only say I’ve suffered with restless legs for the past couple of years on n off. Can I ask which you were on? If you don’t mind me asking

• sarahc68 16th June 2022 at 7:35 am

I find magnesium spray on the back of my knees really helps. My mum swears by tiger balm on the back of the knees.

• Shazzeroo 16th June 2022 at 9:09 am

I do use magnesium butter on my lower legs. I think this helps ease it a little

• Phill 24th June 2022 at 3:12 pm

Like Sarah, I use magnesium spray behind my knees. It helps but does not eliminate the problem. I’m definitely going to try the tonic water tip on this feed…

• Shelgy57 21st July 2022 at 11:10 am

I take a high dose magnesium tablet every day. Along with several other vitamin and mineral tablets. Hardly suffer at all now. Restless leg syndrome has been linked to vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and as a lot of people are low in some, it may be worth getting a blood test via your doctor to identify what you’re low in.

• Shazzeroo 21st July 2022 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for your reply, yes I’ve had blood tests but nothing came back. Only high cholesterol, I’ve recently started taking magnesium and it does help a bit. Was also applying magnesium butter into my legs but had a reaction to it. Thanks 😊

• Shelgy57 21st July 2022 at 12:47 pm

Did they do it specifically for vitamin and mineral deficiencies though? I know most GPs only check for the obvious (such as high cholesterol) but most never even think of the vitamin and mineral side of things. A lack of which can cause a whole host of problems for the body. Though I don’t have any qualifications in this area, I have studied the impact of health, diet and lifestyle on the body for years (following my own personal illness 13 years ago). I wish you luck, as I know restless leg syndrome well, to the point where I could cut off my lower legs to get rid of it! Fortunately, not a problem anymore.

• Shazzeroo 21st July 2022 at 1:04 pm

Yes I’m at that point where I could cut my own legs off. It definitely affects my sleep which has a knock in effect with my mood. For which I’m also on medication for. I’ll mention it next time at the doctors. Thanks 😊

• Deleted User 24th July 2022 at 3:52 am

Ask doctor for pramipixole tablets

Add