Home Forums Book Club Rest Less Book Club

Add comment

• Rest Less Book Club

Books can be such a source of joy.

They can also be informative, teach us new skills, change our view point, surprise, delight and amaze us, support us through tough times, accompany us on holidays, inspire us to change, whirl us away to different worlds, enable us to escape and sometimes, allow us to find ourselves.

We’d love you to share your favourite book(s) with other Rest Less members. Tell us when and how it came into your life, share how it changed you, who you would recommend it to and why. Please – get sharing!

Posted by Helen Burns
Viewing 48 reply threads
    • Reply by davidnorriskay1

My poetry collection, ‘From Time-Buried Years’ (Indigo Dreams Publishing) is now into its second edition and fourth reprint. It is im most Sheffield libraries, but if anyone wants to purchase a copy for £10 including P&P please email me at [email protected] or follow me at http://www.facebook.com/david.norriskay  My book contains 83 pages of poetry with a few photos and a foreword by international review writer and retired teacher Bernard M Jackson. Mr David Austin aka David Norris-Kay.

• Reply by Sue

My book has arrived (The Leopard) so I’m ready to start reading.

How many of you have yours and who’s still waiting for theirs?

• Reply by juleswalker

Is ‘The Leopard’ the Book Club read this month? Who is it by?

• Reply by Sue

Yes and it is by Jo Nesbo

• Reply by juleswalker

Thank you!

• Reply by sappandy67

Who wrote The Leopard?

• Reply by GlosMouse

I love to read every spare minute and am re-reading Peter James “Roy Grace” series- love them.  Anyone else read these books?

• Reply by Maggie

I just can’t stop buying books! I love to read. I’m into Ben Aaronowitch right now. I love crime and mystery stories. but also anything with a good story. I have big collection to get through! I often re-read a book, and never give a book away or throw it out. I think I have an addiction!

• Reply by janeagtani

I love these books! I’ve recently started listening to them through audible. Which book are you currently reading?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by janeagtani.
    • Reply by merrieonthemove

Hi there. I loved Pat Barker’s The Silence of the Girls – it’s a retelling of the Achilles myth and not challenging but an interesting insight into a different world.  Madeleine Miller’s books are also beautifully written – her latest ‘Circe’ is one of my favourites.  I read on my iPad and often have no idea what I am reading is called because I am not handling the book cover.  Still it’s a memory challenge of sorts I guess. Currently reading Anne Pratchett’s Dutch House about disinherited children – thought provoking, well written in an understated way and touching sad. Always interested in recommendations for literary fiction if any one has one. Enjoy the journey 😃

• Reply by SueB

Hi, you might also like Natalie Haynes (?) A Thousand Ships, also on a Trojan War theme. I read it after Barker and Miller. Loved them all!

Thank you for the suggestion.  Not heard of this so i will look forward to it.

many thanks again

Merrie

• Reply by juleswalker

I have also read and enjoyed ‘The Silence of the Girls’ and ‘Circe’. Both powerful books. I have recently read ‘Girl, Woman, Other’ – also by a female author (Bernadine Evaristo).  A really enjoyable read. I am about to finish ‘The Dust that Falls from Dreams’ – Louis de Bernieres. I will be sad to finish it as I have really enjoyed every page.

Hi again. I have just bought The Dust That Falls From Dreams.  Looking forward to the experience. Thanks for the tip. Best Merrie

Hi Jules

Yes I read Girl Woman Other earlier this year.  Really liked it although felt the contrivance of it showed in the last half of the book.  It was a great read though and felt we have all seen and heard the characters.  I’ll put the Bernieres book on my list – thanks for that recommendation – I know what yo mean about being sad to finish a book – sometimes it can feel like losing a friend.

• Reply by Em

Hello.  I’ve read Circe. It really enthralled me so I bought The Song of Achilles.

I’ve not heard of Pat Barker or Anne Pratchett – I might give them ago.

I’m supposed to be reading Rewilding by Isabella Tree for a Bookclub with neighbours and I also picked up the

Accidental Apprentice by Vikas Swarup after hearing excerpts on Radio.

I’ve had a go at Satanic Verses by Salmud Rushdie because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about – I understood after three or four pages.  It was very boring.  If you have read it what is your take?

I recently enjoyed the Binding by Bridget Collins and I’ve got a short attention span where books are involved.
        Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng was riveting.

I just finished In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist by Ruchama King Feuerman.  Again, it blew me away.  If you find it see how long it takes to pick up the writer’s ‘clues’ …. I was taken by surprise.

I didn’t enjoy Atwood’s The Testaments as much as I’d hoped.  The ‘it was all a dream’ ending left a bad taste.  It felt like Atwood was taking back her story by keeping June out of sight. I suppose she has left the TV series more scope for extra series.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro is heartrending and on the GCSE English Lit syllabus!

I recommend A Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman

I could go on….. have you read any of these and what did you think?

Just bought the Courtyard of the Kabbalist …. enjoying the anticipation till I start it. Thanks for the tip 🙂

Hi Em.  What a lovely reply. Thank you for taking the trouble to reach out.

We seem to have very similar taste in books and I am very grateful that you have explained that I needed bother with the Satanic Verses.  I felt the same as you but had been put off before because he has always struck me as a very boring and pedantic man when interviewed.  Similarly I put down Wolf Hall after 4 looooong chapters.  What a pompous writer.  I know that it has been a very popular series etc but at my age I’m not sure how much time I have left and don’t want to spend it being bored.

The Song of Achilles is a fantastic book. So evocative and sensitively written.  Of course in my mind I had Brad Pitt visualised because he was in ‘Troy’ as Achilles but that was no bad thing to imagine, for me anyway 🙄. I have also enjoyed the Ishiguro was enormously and when I read it about 10 years ago (?) I thought that it was ahead of it’s time.  A bit like Brave New World which was astonishingly written in 1935 I think.  I thought Never Let Me go was great and such a contrast from The Remains of the Day – astonishing to have such a span in imagination.  I haven’t read any more of his though and I am minded to to do so.  Thank you for the nudge. Also great that it has knocked something dreary off the GCSE syllabus .

Thank you also for the tip about Courtyard of the Kabbalist.  I’ll definitely give that a go and let you know what I think.  I’ve not heard of this one.  I have read the Everything I Never told you and really loved it.  Not read anything else by her though.  Also not read the Testaments and tried not to listen to the serialisation on R4.  I imagine that it can be very daunting to follow up a novel which has experienced such hype.  I basked in the TV series though.

It’s lovely to share ideas and views.  My parting suggestion is The Tenderness of Wolves by Steph Penney.  Such a tender and beautiful book where the landscape is a character in its own right.

Anyway thanks for sharing.  Always interested in ideas.

Best

Merrie

• Reply by bobjuliebryant

I have just finished the ‘Salt Path’ about an older married couple made homeless. They decide to walk the South West costal path and camp wild – very compelling read and I so enjoyed this one.

• Reply by verandell

I read The Salt Path a few weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed it.   Reduced me to tears in parts.   Was ashamed at the people that were abusive to the pair, assuming that because they were walking with back packs they were the scum of the earth.   Obviously they had never been in the position of Raynor and her husband.   Also read The Silence of the Girls and although it’s not the kind of book I would normally read, found that gripping.

• Reply by bobjuliebryant

Yes, amazing story and Raynor has another book to be released in September, not sure of the title.  I also enjoyed Thread by Victoria Hislop.

• Reply by verandell

I think Raynor Wynn’s next book is Wild something, can’t remember the full title.   Which is the Victoria Hislop’s book, I have read all but one and I know she has another due out soon set in Greece again and during, after WW11.   Another book I read recently which was very good is The Offing by Bernard Myers.   Seeing books recommended on Facebook, I suddenly realised I’m obsessed with buying and reading books.   We have a small independent bookshop near us and during lockdown when all shops were shut, it was my lifeline as the owner, who we know well had an online ordering service.   Don’t know what I would have done without as I was getting to the point of running out of reading matter.

• Reply by verandell

I have just finished The Narrow Land by Christine Dwyer Hickey.   Really good read, would recommend.

• Reply by Sue

There are two feeds on here for a book club anyone wanting you join in go to the other one

we are about to choose a book

• Reply by lizanne_19

Has a book been chosen? Am about to finish a book, so rather than start a new one, I can look at getting the book decided on here..

• Reply by Sue

Choosing a book we can all get our hands on is going to be difficult because not everybody can afford to buy.

I will try to visit the library in the next couple of days and ask for a list of books they use for local reading groups I think they will be the same up and down the country so most library’s should have them

• Reply by juleswalker

Bookbox  It’s the online library. You can access it with your library membership number. It’s free.

• Reply by sappandy67

Hi, I am Andy from Scotland and first got into books as a trucker listening to cassettes on long journeys, I liked Archers voice he kept me interested..Then I stopped and on long bus journeys about an hour across the city it made me less stressed about the journey. Then the local charity shops were selling ten for a pound and I bought loads of Readers Digest condensed edition just the right length for me and so many topics, Happy Reading!😋

• Reply by lizanne_19

We would need to make sure that our own local libraries have the ‘book’ in stock, once decided on title…

• Reply by Sue

Sounds good to me Jane

• Reply by janetestock

I love to read and I also write as well. But since I’ve been writing I don’t have as much time to read!! Anyway, I love Stephen King, and I also read a lot of medieval fiction, so I like Bernard Cornwell and Edward Rutherford. I do like Hilary Mantel, but find it hard to read much in one go, her way of writing takes a lot of concentration on the reader’s part, some books you can read through really quickly, but not hers! My favourite book from childhood is The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula le Guin (long before Harry Potter although I like those books as well), and I still love the Moomins’ stories even now. I like Shakespeare, Jane Austen and Charles Dickens too. Not too keen on the chick-lit genre though…

• Reply by Sue

How to chose a book? Anyone got any ideas

• Reply by janetestock

We could just list the top 5 or 6 fiction books in Waterstones or wherever, and have a vote the most popular one?

• Reply by Sue

Great that some of you are interested in starting our own book reading club.we will need to decide on a book, and once the library opens (mine the 10th of August) start reading anybody got any suggestions for a book

• Reply by lizanne_19

Lovely idea, is there a list of recommended book group reads? To help start – not everyone may agree with personal choices, and this is how my expanded reading of different authors started..

Viewing 48 reply threads