Home Forums Health and Lifestyle Rest Less Book Club

Add comment

• Rest Less Book Club

Books can be such a source of joy.

They can also be informative, teach us new skills, change our view point, surprise, delight and amaze us, support us through tough times, accompany us on holidays, inspire us to change, whirl us away to different worlds, enable us to escape and sometimes, allow us to find ourselves.

We’d love you to share your favourite book(s) with other Rest Less members. Tell us when and how it came into your life, share how it changed you, who you would recommend it to and why. Please – get sharing!

Posted by Helen Burns
Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Reply by c.walker309

Thanks for all the inspiration to get back to reading! I seem to have got caught up in the vice like grip of social media. FB,Insta, whatsup & emails are just Such time thieves – so back to the written word for me. The last book I read was Eleanor Oliphant is completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. I am also half way through The Keeper of List Things by Ruth Hogan which I am going to finish!

• Reply by ginamann13

I have read all my life.  In fact, I said the other day that reading is like breathing for me, absolutely vital!

I get lost in a good book, it takes me out of the here and now.

I prefer actual books but have got into using my phone and our library and the library App in these lock down times and that works quite well.

I loved the whole Jean M Auel series, Clan of the Cave Bear – absorbing and so well researched.  Also loved Diana Gabaldon and her discovery of Witches series and someone already mentioned Outlander all fabulous reads.

• Reply by vikibell

Not really a favourite book but definitely some genres and authors.  Love Phillipa Gregory and Alison Weir – enjoy history and love the retelling of very familiar events but from an entirely different perspective – she even made me feel sadness for Anne Boleyn who has been painted so badly throughout history (by the male authors)

• Reply by ginamann13

Hi Viki

I love Phillipa Gregory but not heard of Alison Weir so will definitely check her out.  I agree with you about the way Anne Boleyn has been painted so badly.  Honestly, Henry was Horrible!

• Reply by musia

I can lose myself in a book and forget the rest of the world and any problems.  Unfortuneately, I think I get addicted to my book

and have to force myself to put it down  I have pretty eclectic tastes in books so I can appreciate lots of different authors.  At the moment I am reading Moving by Jenny Eclair which can be quite engrossing though not as much as other books that I have read

• Reply by sylvlovesbooks

Hi…I love autobiographies or self help kind of books.   I just read A boy made of blocks    it’s great…..about a dad and his autistic son…its semi autobiography….a  novel with his truth in it too.

• Reply by jackiebrown12

I don’t have a favourite book, but I do have a favourite author at the moment james patterson going through all of his books at the moment.

• Reply by Steve Cooper

Impossible to choose a single book, there are “comfort blankets” dipped into over the years to be reread, and the exciting new discoveries. This is one area that A****N & the kindle is good for, samples and £0 or £0.99p books which can then get you into a new author. Stephen King, Peter Straub, Robert Ludlam, Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Ben Elton all have multiple collections on my Kindle, but probably for me, if I had to pick one, It would be the Talisman by King/Straub.  Mind you ask me tomorrow and it will be a different answer 🙂

• Reply by yimanwayne

Hi,

I much prefer a book to the Kindle and recently gone back to reading most recent read was the Librarian of Auschwitz and the Tatto Artist of Auschwitz, currently reading Midnight at Chernobyl.

• Reply by vikibell

Hi did you know there is another auschwitz one – same author – Cilkas Journey 👍🏼 (Or something like that sure if you google it you will find it) enjoy

• Reply by paularooney1

I have just read the salt path by Raynor Winn.  A true account of picking yourself up and moving forward.

• Reply by Helen Burns

Oh I LOVED the Salt Path and was recommending it to someone just the other day. So many layers to it.

• Reply by mandyfacebook10

Hi everyone – is it just me or does anyone else prefer the feel of a book to an kindle? I love to turn the pages and really become one with the book. I’m the same with my magazines – I have to be the first person to enter that world of imagination. The book becomes part of me. Very philosophical for this early in the day 😊

• Reply by debrabskapoullis

Books every day.  Nothing quite like the smell of a new book.  Has ti be a paperback too 😀

• Reply by raquel.gonzalez

Absolutely!  I did buy a Kindle when they first came out and used it on holiday.  It was handy, because then I didn’t have to take a suitcase full of books for my holiday reading.  However, I read fairly fast and I seemed to be constantly flicking to the next page.  I found it harder to hold the tablet for long periods; it seems easier to grip a book, somehow.  I quickly became disenchanted and after the novelty wore off, went back to my beloved books!

• Reply by sjwatkins28

I used to love reading, then I did a Law degree and even now, three years later, I feel a bit guilty (no pun intended) about reading fiction books. However, I’m persevering and am reading a Jeeves and Wooster book by Sebastian Faulks.

• Reply by debsfowler2001

Where does the guilt come from.  Sounds like you have had to do enough ‘serious’ reading to gain your law degree.  Let go of the guilt and give yourself permission to enjoy fiction.

• Reply by Angelaaml

My favourite books are Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I’ve read these over and over again and still have the copies I read in my teens, I love watching the original movies; both starred Laurence Olivier. Yes, I happy to admit I’m an incurable romantic!

I have read so many novel and biographies over the years. I’m currently reading (listening to on Audible) ‘All that Heaven Allows’ the latest biography on Rock Hudson; I’ve read many about him and this one is written so well by a close friend. I enjoy biographies on people who have a bit of a ‘scandalous’ life or a bit of a rogue about them.  I’ve just finished another book on Audible by my favourite American author John Grisham, ‘The Reckoning’, another author I’ve read many books and he’s captivated a lot my quiet time.

Of all the books I’ve read Pride and Prejudice must be my favourite it had a massive effect to what I want to be, where I wanted to go and how to act. Like Mrs Bennett I wanted 5 daughters and a crazy household bringing them up in the proper manner and marry a good man. Sadly that didn’t happen; I don’t have any children but alas I can still dream!

• Reply by Tina Mason

My favourite book is Travels with my aunt by Graham greene

story of a middle aged man with a boring mundane life and then he meets his aunt and the adventure begins

• Reply by raquel.gonzalez

If you are looking for a long series of books to keep you entertained during lock-down, I can highly recommend the Outlander series of novels written by Diana Gabaldon.  Each book is quite a hefty read, but once you get hooked, you will fly through them. The basic premise follows the story of Claire Beauchamp Randall, a WWII combat nurse.  When the first novel begins, Claire is trying to reconnect with her husband, Frank, by going on a second honeymoon to Scotland after their long separation during the war years.  Frank is an academic, and wants to use the trip to research his ancestors – particularly the notorious Black Jack Randall.  (Black Jack was an English captain posted to Scotland in the run up to the Battle of Culloden, made infamous by his harsh treatment of the Scots).  They visit the ancient stone circle of Craig na Dun; Claire is puzzled to hear distant voices seemingly emanating from the stones.  When she touches one of the stones, she finds herself transported back in time by 200 years.  She soon meets Jamie Fraser; a wounded Highlander and arch-enemy of Black Jack.  Jamie is suspicious that she is an English spy and takes her back to his uncle’s castle and so begins their amazingly passionate and tender love story.  The books are impeccably researched; there is a wealth of historical details about life in the Highlands 200 years ago.  There is high adventure, tragedy, imprisonment, separation, betrayal and a cast of hundreds.  Later novels take them to France, the Caribbean and America just before the Revolution.  Through a sweeping backdrop of major historical events twines the enduring love story of Claire and Jamie and the many impediments to finding happiness together.  The first 5 books have been made into an excellent TV series on Starz; Season 5 has just finished on Amazon Prime.  (If you want more information, there are great fan pages on Facebook, etc.)  I am currently reading book 7 in the series, An Echo in the Bone. The quality of writing has been consistently excellent. One of DGs many strengths is that she writes the central love story with real truth; this is not a Mills & Boon fantasy romance.  You become completely invested in Claire & Jamie’s story; they have fights, disagree on courses of action, hurt each other, and suffer tragedies together.  There is a fundamental disconnect between Claire’s behaviours as a 1940s woman out of her time and the expectations that Jamie would naturally have for a wife in his time.  But through it all, their relationship is underpinned by a huge respect and utter commitment to each other.  DG is currently writing number 9 in the series due to be published later this year.  Book 10 will be the final novel in the series.  Go immerse yourself in the Outlander world….you won’t want to come back.

• Reply by julieannhumphreys

Thank you for this recommendation! I was struggling to find a book on Audible that hadn’t been pushed under my nose as something I might like. Can’t wait to get started!

• Reply by ginamann13

Hi Raquel oh yes, I loved Outlander, I must check I am up to date with them all.  Did you catch the Outlander series on one of the streaming channels?  I didnt like it at all!

• Reply by itshelsbels

I love books! In fact, there have been times in my life when I’ve been based overseas somewhere and have had to ship boxes of purchased books back to the UK because I’d bought so many – even with a Kindle!

It’s hard to recommend books as I find it depends on the person in front of me and the conversation we’ve been having.

This week alone, I’ve recommended “Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less” by Greg McKeown (it came to me as a recommendation from a friend), “The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life’s Perfection” by Michael Singer (loved the title and downloaded it at random) and “The Body Keeps the Score: Mind, Brain and Body in the Transformation of Trauma” by Bessel van der Kolk (which could also be followed up with Gabor Maté’s “When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress.”) I was lead to this subject area from Alexander Lowen’s work, having picked up one of his books in a small stationery shop in Croatia, where the English language section of books was tiny.

The book that brought me back to fiction was “The Miniaturist” by Jessie Burton – bought at a second hand book stall. It reminded me of why I write.

The book on writing that moves me most “Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg – she is a poet first and foremost, and a Zen practitioner, so her prose is lyrical, her invitation to writers (or any artists) firm, gentle and thoughtful.

The book that is always in my bedside cabinet, which I dip into whenever I need to “Women Who Run With the Wolves” by Clarissa Pinkola Estes.

Viewing 14 reply threads