Home Forums Book Club Rest Less Book Club

Helen Burns Posted 2 years ago
Rest Less Book Club

Books can be such a source of joy.

They can also be informative, teach us new skills, change our view point, surprise, delight and amaze us, support us through tough times, accompany us on holidays, inspire us to change, whirl us away to different worlds, enable us to escape and sometimes, allow us to find ourselves.

We’d love you to share your favourite book(s) with other Rest Less members. Tell us when and how it came into your life, share how it changed you, who you would recommend it to and why. Please – get sharing!

19 likes & 179 replies
    • Karen 23rd July 2020 at 7:41 pm

I wouldn’t be able to tell you the last time I read a book before lockdown started as time just never seemed to stand still long enough. Not even magazines got a look in unless I was sitting in the dentist or doctors waiting room. However, my daughter gave me a book for my birthday in June called ‘Who moved my cheese’ by Dr Spencer Johnson. A smallish book that I couldn’t put down and read within 2  days.  Fabulous book for those that haven’t read it., and that led me to a number of books that I had on my shelves that I had bought, over the years, in charity shops hoping I would ‘get time’ to read them. ‘Beyond your feelings’ by Joyce Meyer another book I couldn’t put down. ‘Why we sleep’ by Mathew Walker,  ‘The things you can only see when you slow down’ by Heamin Sumin amazing book full of meaningful quotations. One book leading beautifully into the other. These aren’t fictional novels as I just cannot for the life of me read them but more psychology, faith, science based. I have loved the quiet time sitting outside in the fresh air, a nice cup of earl grey and book in hand. I cannot believe how many books I am managing to read!  Won’t be able to dance till early next year by the looks of things so have been charity shopping again today and bought 7 more books!

• juleswalker 24th July 2020 at 6:29 pm

I’m currently reading ‘The dust that falls from dreams’ by Louis de Bernieres. It is set in WWI. A fiction but one set in real circumstances – my favourite kind of novel. I heartily recommend it.

• loveseyglln 27th July 2020 at 12:11 pm

Hi I like to read thrillers, also Stephen King and Dean Koontz.

Is there anyone else out there who like this sort of thing?

• reyganj 28th July 2020 at 5:42 pm

Hi, I’m a fan of Dick Francis and Sue Grafton

• lynnridley 10th August 2020 at 12:11 pm

I love reading, especially thrillers. Would be good to choose a book to discuss after week or so?

• Chrissie of the island 25th May 2021 at 2:06 pm

I am just reading Platform Seven, by Louise Doughty. I have never read anything by her before but I am really enjoying it. A bit different from the usual thriller.

• RUBES 3rd December 2021 at 1:43 pm

I love the Kinsey Books. Sad that Sue passed away before she finished her final alphabet book.
          I also have started reading the DI Hillary Greene series by Faith Martin.

• janetestock 5th August 2020 at 4:49 pm

I love Stephen King, he’s my favourite. I’m reading ‘If It Bleeds’ at the minute. I also love Dean Koontz. I’m also into history, medieval mainly and like to read Bernard Cornwell and Edward Rutherford. I also write a bit of stuff myself.

• joanna.bookgirl 17th August 2020 at 8:43 pm

I heard about a book called The Chalk Man which Stephen King himself recommends for those who enjoy his own books.  I read The Shining as a teen and had to be sitting next to someone when I read it 😀  Misery was a brilliant (disturbing) story too.

• lizanne_19 29th July 2020 at 9:14 am

Hi, my name is Liz – live in Wolverhampton..

Karin Slaughter is among one of my favourite Authors, as well as Jo Nesbo, I do go to a local book group but due to Covid-19 has not been running since our last meeting in March. Miss the interaction of discussing the book we have to read each month… so generally reading a lot of different books, keep a record on Goodreads so that I don’t duplicate any.

Have recently read Kes (Kestrel for a Knave) which was one of the books I read in 1976 for my English O’level!

Still prefer actually holding a book, have a kindle, but only use for holidays and as back up if I am near the end of a book travelling to and from work.

• vivb 17th August 2020 at 12:05 am

Hi Liz,

I also live in Wolves!  Recently joined a local book group, we have read several books one of which was In the Woods, Tana French really enjoyed it.  I too like Karin Slaughter.  Also read several by Joy Ellis.  One of my recent favourites is Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens.  Blood Orange, Harriet Tyce and The Grass Castle, Karen Viggers are two new authors I tried.

• sappandy67 28th August 2020 at 8:07 am

I don’t like when people say I read the Salt Path 🤔etc,  I always give the author a mention too just out of courtesy😁 It was Raynor Winn.

Or this is Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman. read by Arnie Hammer

It’s like a DJ saying here’s a song called Caledonia.

This is a song written by Dougie MacLean and sung by Dolores Keane

Rant over😆

• Chrissie of the island 25th May 2021 at 2:08 pm

Where the Crawdads Sing is one of the best books I have read in the last ten years. i am looking forward to the film but often good books are spoilt on the big screen.

• Sue 1st August 2020 at 9:05 pm

Just a thought but could we start our own book club. What I was thinking was we all buy or borrow the same book set a time to read it and then say what we liked or disliked

• verandell 2nd August 2020 at 10:23 am

Hi Sue, I think that’s a good idea.

• louise.manning 2nd August 2020 at 2:26 pm

Love that idea.  My local book club was struggling before covid so I doubt it will start again any time soon.

• juleswalker 11th August 2020 at 8:26 pm

Books can be borrowed ‘online’ through the Bookbox app. I don’t think it costs. You simply need membership of your local library. I’d be interested in a Restless Book Club. I’m currently reading ‘The Dust that Falls from Dreams’ by Louis de Bernieres. It’s very good. I also recommend ‘Circe’ by Madeline Miller – brilliant book. I like fiction that is based in fact/history – but not necessarily historical fiction! Also not a ‘chick-lit’ fan.

• Sue 3rd August 2020 at 8:21 pm

Great that some of you are interested in starting our own book reading club.we will need to decide on a book, and once the library opens (mine the 10th of August) start reading anybody got any suggestions for a book

• lizanne_19 4th August 2020 at 11:50 pm

Lovely idea, is there a list of recommended book group reads? To help start – not everyone may agree with personal choices, and this is how my expanded reading of different authors started..

• Sue 5th August 2020 at 3:53 pm

How to chose a book? Anyone got any ideas

• janetestock 5th August 2020 at 4:55 pm

I love to read and I also write as well. But since I’ve been writing I don’t have as much time to read!! Anyway, I love Stephen King, and I also read a lot of medieval fiction, so I like Bernard Cornwell and Edward Rutherford. I do like Hilary Mantel, but find it hard to read much in one go, her way of writing takes a lot of concentration on the reader’s part, some books you can read through really quickly, but not hers! My favourite book from childhood is The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula le Guin (long before Harry Potter although I like those books as well), and I still love the Moomins’ stories even now. I like Shakespeare, Jane Austen and Charles Dickens too. Not too keen on the chick-lit genre though…

• Sue 5th August 2020 at 5:52 pm

Sounds good to me Jane

• lizanne_19 6th August 2020 at 8:51 am

We would need to make sure that our own local libraries have the ‘book’ in stock, once decided on title…

• sappandy67 10th August 2020 at 8:43 pm

Hi, I am Andy from Scotland and first got into books as a trucker listening to cassettes on long journeys, I liked Archers voice he kept me interested..Then I stopped and on long bus journeys about an hour across the city it made me less stressed about the journey. Then the local charity shops were selling ten for a pound and I bought loads of Readers Digest condensed edition just the right length for me and so many topics, Happy Reading!😋

• Sue 11th August 2020 at 7:30 pm

Choosing a book we can all get our hands on is going to be difficult because not everybody can afford to buy.

I will try to visit the library in the next couple of days and ask for a list of books they use for local reading groups I think they will be the same up and down the country so most library’s should have them

• Sue 16th August 2020 at 8:31 pm

There are two feeds on here for a book club anyone wanting you join in go to the other one

we are about to choose a book

• lizanne_19 17th August 2020 at 9:56 pm

Has a book been chosen? Am about to finish a book, so rather than start a new one, I can look at getting the book decided on here..

• verandell 18th August 2020 at 12:12 pm

I have just finished The Narrow Land by Christine Dwyer Hickey.   Really good read, would recommend.

• bobjuliebryant 18th August 2020 at 12:37 pm

I have just finished the ‘Salt Path’ about an older married couple made homeless. They decide to walk the South West costal path and camp wild – very compelling read and I so enjoyed this one.

• verandell 20th August 2020 at 10:59 am

I read The Salt Path a few weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed it.   Reduced me to tears in parts.   Was ashamed at the people that were abusive to the pair, assuming that because they were walking with back packs they were the scum of the earth.   Obviously they had never been in the position of Raynor and her husband.   Also read The Silence of the Girls and although it’s not the kind of book I would normally read, found that gripping.

• bobjuliebryant 20th August 2020 at 1:47 pm

Yes, amazing story and Raynor has another book to be released in September, not sure of the title.  I also enjoyed Thread by Victoria Hislop.

• verandell 20th August 2020 at 5:53 pm

I think Raynor Wynn’s next book is Wild something, can’t remember the full title.   Which is the Victoria Hislop’s book, I have read all but one and I know she has another due out soon set in Greece again and during, after WW11.   Another book I read recently which was very good is The Offing by Bernard Myers.   Seeing books recommended on Facebook, I suddenly realised I’m obsessed with buying and reading books.   We have a small independent bookshop near us and during lockdown when all shops were shut, it was my lifeline as the owner, who we know well had an online ordering service.   Don’t know what I would have done without as I was getting to the point of running out of reading matter.

• merrieonthemove 19th August 2020 at 7:56 am

Hi there. I loved Pat Barker’s The Silence of the Girls – it’s a retelling of the Achilles myth and not challenging but an interesting insight into a different world.  Madeleine Miller’s books are also beautifully written – her latest ‘Circe’ is one of my favourites.  I read on my iPad and often have no idea what I am reading is called because I am not handling the book cover.  Still it’s a memory challenge of sorts I guess. Currently reading Anne Pratchett’s Dutch House about disinherited children – thought provoking, well written in an understated way and touching sad. Always interested in recommendations for literary fiction if any one has one. Enjoy the journey 😃

• Em 19th August 2020 at 11:00 am

Hello.  I’ve read Circe. It really enthralled me so I bought The Song of Achilles.

I’ve not heard of Pat Barker or Anne Pratchett – I might give them ago.

I’m supposed to be reading Rewilding by Isabella Tree for a Bookclub with neighbours and I also picked up the

Accidental Apprentice by Vikas Swarup after hearing excerpts on Radio.

I’ve had a go at Satanic Verses by Salmud Rushdie because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about – I understood after three or four pages.  It was very boring.  If you have read it what is your take?

I recently enjoyed the Binding by Bridget Collins and I’ve got a short attention span where books are involved.
        Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng was riveting.

I just finished In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist by Ruchama King Feuerman.  Again, it blew me away.  If you find it see how long it takes to pick up the writer’s ‘clues’ …. I was taken by surprise.

I didn’t enjoy Atwood’s The Testaments as much as I’d hoped.  The ‘it was all a dream’ ending left a bad taste.  It felt like Atwood was taking back her story by keeping June out of sight. I suppose she has left the TV series more scope for extra series.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro is heartrending and on the GCSE English Lit syllabus!

I recommend A Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman

I could go on….. have you read any of these and what did you think?

• merrieonthemove 19th August 2020 at 1:25 pm

Hi Em.  What a lovely reply. Thank you for taking the trouble to reach out.

We seem to have very similar taste in books and I am very grateful that you have explained that I needed bother with the Satanic Verses.  I felt the same as you but had been put off before because he has always struck me as a very boring and pedantic man when interviewed.  Similarly I put down Wolf Hall after 4 looooong chapters.  What a pompous writer.  I know that it has been a very popular series etc but at my age I’m not sure how much time I have left and don’t want to spend it being bored.

The Song of Achilles is a fantastic book. So evocative and sensitively written.  Of course in my mind I had Brad Pitt visualised because he was in ‘Troy’ as Achilles but that was no bad thing to imagine, for me anyway 🙄. I have also enjoyed the Ishiguro was enormously and when I read it about 10 years ago (?) I thought that it was ahead of it’s time.  A bit like Brave New World which was astonishingly written in 1935 I think.  I thought Never Let Me go was great and such a contrast from The Remains of the Day – astonishing to have such a span in imagination.  I haven’t read any more of his though and I am minded to to do so.  Thank you for the nudge. Also great that it has knocked something dreary off the GCSE syllabus .

Thank you also for the tip about Courtyard of the Kabbalist.  I’ll definitely give that a go and let you know what I think.  I’ve not heard of this one.  I have read the Everything I Never told you and really loved it.  Not read anything else by her though.  Also not read the Testaments and tried not to listen to the serialisation on R4.  I imagine that it can be very daunting to follow up a novel which has experienced such hype.  I basked in the TV series though.

It’s lovely to share ideas and views.  My parting suggestion is The Tenderness of Wolves by Steph Penney.  Such a tender and beautiful book where the landscape is a character in its own right.

Anyway thanks for sharing.  Always interested in ideas.

Best

Merrie

• merrieonthemove 29th August 2020 at 6:16 am

Just bought the Courtyard of the Kabbalist …. enjoying the anticipation till I start it. Thanks for the tip 🙂

• juleswalker 19th August 2020 at 8:14 pm

I have also read and enjoyed ‘The Silence of the Girls’ and ‘Circe’. Both powerful books. I have recently read ‘Girl, Woman, Other’ – also by a female author (Bernadine Evaristo).  A really enjoyable read. I am about to finish ‘The Dust that Falls from Dreams’ – Louis de Bernieres. I will be sad to finish it as I have really enjoyed every page.

• merrieonthemove 22nd August 2020 at 8:16 am

Hi Jules

Yes I read Girl Woman Other earlier this year.  Really liked it although felt the contrivance of it showed in the last half of the book.  It was a great read though and felt we have all seen and heard the characters.  I’ll put the Bernieres book on my list – thanks for that recommendation – I know what yo mean about being sad to finish a book – sometimes it can feel like losing a friend.

• merrieonthemove 29th August 2020 at 6:00 am

Hi again. I have just bought The Dust That Falls From Dreams.  Looking forward to the experience. Thanks for the tip. Best Merrie

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 4th September 2020 at 7:40 pm

Hi, you might also like Natalie Haynes (?) A Thousand Ships, also on a Trojan War theme. I read it after Barker and Miller. Loved them all!

• Maggie 19th August 2020 at 7:09 pm

I just can’t stop buying books! I love to read. I’m into Ben Aaronowitch right now. I love crime and mystery stories. but also anything with a good story. I have big collection to get through! I often re-read a book, and never give a book away or throw it out. I think I have an addiction!

• janeagtani 20th August 2020 at 8:24 am

I love these books! I’ve recently started listening to them through audible. Which book are you currently reading?

• Chrissie of the island 25th May 2021 at 2:21 pm

I took out an Audible subscription when I was ill two years ago and I love it. It was great during lockdown. I listen while I cook, iron and knit. I took up knitting again during lockdown. I have now about 124 books in my library and have listened to 54. They have frequent sales which are good value £3 each so I keep my library well stocked. I have also started using them on longer drives now that I am allowed out. I can listen to them through my Alexa Dot as well. This year I bought myself a gift subscription for £60 which gives me a book a month plus I can take advantage of their offers.

• GlosMouse 27th August 2020 at 2:26 pm

I love to read every spare minute and am re-reading Peter James “Roy Grace” series- love them.  Anyone else read these books?

• Sue 27th August 2020 at 9:01 pm

My book has arrived (The Leopard) so I’m ready to start reading.

How many of you have yours and who’s still waiting for theirs?

• Deleted User 30th August 2020 at 4:30 pm

My poetry collection, ‘From Time-Buried Years’ (Indigo Dreams Publishing) is now into its second edition and fourth reprint. It is im most Sheffield libraries, but if anyone wants to purchase a copy for £10 including P&P please email me at [email protected] or follow me at http://www.facebook.com/david.norriskay  My book contains 83 pages of poetry with a few photos and a foreword by international review writer and retired teacher Bernard M Jackson. Mr David Austin aka David Norris-Kay.

• juleswalker 28th September 2020 at 10:09 pm

I’ve recently finished ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’ by Delia Owens. Loved it. She paints with words and I was inmmersed in the story. Unputdownable!

Also finished a book this weekend called ‘Act 3’ by Andrew and Judy Reid. It’s non-fiction and is about ‘finding you’ in this third act of life. Again, a fascinating read. I’ve learned a lot about myself and have adjusted some of my attitudes to the future. I recommend the book.

• davidnorriskay 29th September 2020 at 8:46 pm

I’ve purchased a beautiful cloth bound edition of ‘War and Peace’s by Leo Tolstoy. I’m now well prepared for the next lockdown.

• anniecousins 1st October 2020 at 7:37 pm

Having been brought up in a house where few books were read, I haven’t stopped reading since university. Since most of my reading material has been non fiction over the years, I have a house full of favourites which I can always reread as being a certain age I will have forgotten some of the detail. However I also love to have recommendations for novels – which I do of course read if I can find something well crafted and unusual –  so thank you for sharing your books – one of my favourites is Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari which opened me to embrace new ideas about who we are. As someone interested in non dual philosophy if there’s anyone out there reading Adyashanti or Spira I’d love to converse with you – happy reading, happy sharing and thank you – Annie

• BridJames 2nd October 2020 at 12:08 pm

Hello

For the last few years, my most preferred genre for reading has been historical crime fiction. This started during a visit to a large bookshop in Cambridge which sadly closed down since I was last there. It had four floors and sold a mixture of new, discount and second-hand books and it was in the discount section where I found my attention drawn to an author I didn’t previously know. The book was called the Necropolis Railway and when I read the synopsis on the back I was tempted enough to buy it. The story is what was to be the first in a series written by Andrew Martin and the main character starts off as a teenager who helps his father in the small station at Robin Hoods Bay on the Yorkshire coast. He then finds himself with a job in London in Nine Elms shed and soon after assumes the role of unofficial detective after a murder is committed.

This book appealed to me for various reasons. The descriptions of life in Edwardian South London told in the first person are delightfully evocative and even more so of the atmosphere within the locomotive shed. I had been fascinated by railways from an early age but suddenly found myself more generally so by the vehicles which move on them. More specifically I was absorbed by the particular subject of the story which give the book its title. Basically, an annexe was built on to Waterloo station from which funeral trains would transport coffins and their occupants to Brookwood cemetery in Surrey. I found myself searching for more information about this and have a saved website with a generous description of it.

I have read all but the latest in the series but do have this which I will read at some point.

Another railway detective is that created by the author Edward Marston and I have read many of his books which are or have been set in various periods of time. I’ve found it easy enough to make the transition from one series to another.

• Doone 3rd October 2020 at 12:27 pm

I have read some Andrew Marston too – great stuff. I think I have an Andrew Martin, as yet unread, on a shelf somewhere, so thank you for the recommendation – I’ll hunt it down.

• BridJames 3rd October 2020 at 12:40 pm

I think you’ll enjoy reading the Necropolis Railway which is the first in an ongoing series in which Jim Stringer becomes unofficial railway detective. The use of first-person by Andrew Martin seems to add extra reality to the evocative description of South London in Edwardian times. I recently read The Baghdad Railway club which is several books on into the series and the second in which the story takes place mainly in a different country. There was a more recent one and I understand there is another book in progress in the same series.

Andrew Martin presented a documentary about the luxury long-distance named trains such as the Brighton Belle for BBC a few years ago. It’s worth looking out for not only because it’s interesting but you can put the face to the name.

• Doone 3rd October 2020 at 12:53 pm

Thank you. I just looked up the documentary on Iplayer and it’s not available now, but eureka – I found it on YouTube, so that’s saved for a quiet moment. I did watch for a few minutes and Mr Martin seems made for the job.

• BridJames 3rd October 2020 at 1:02 pm

You’re very welcome. Youtube is such a great resource but some of the things do get removed so it’s a case of saving things while you can before they disappear. A M also appeared briefly in an episode of Great British Railway Journeys in which he told Mr Portillo about the Necropolis station which was short but fascinating. The link below will take you to a generous history of it even though the subject is of course fairly grim.

https://blog.billiongraves.com/cemetery-railroad/

• Doone 3rd October 2020 at 12:24 pm

Hello.

I’m new to Rest Less and pleased to find a reading forum. I read a lot anyway, but during lockdown got through a record number of books. I’ve slowed down considerably now and am still working my way through about a metre of unread novels and some non-fiction. I like second hand bookshops, so my book choices are usually not hot off the press. I’m reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver at the moment (marvellous). I saw some of you were reading The Leopard recently; I read that a few years ago and liked it very much. I was heavily into Scandinavian crime fiction for a while, but I think I’m over it – for a while, anyway.

• Sue 3rd October 2020 at 7:46 pm

If anyone would like to leave a review on The Leopard or find out what our next book will be please go to the READING GROUP section

• Krysia 23rd January 2021 at 12:02 pm

I am currently reading Home Stretch by Graham Norton that my sister gave me and, much to my surprise it’s a g. ood well written account of Irish life. I would recommend for an esy read.

• Sand 21st May 2021 at 2:41 pm

Catherine Cookson is my favourite, have read all of her books, also Mariane Keyes. The problem I have is my eyesight can not read small print. When I go to the library I have to get large print, so if I see a book I like, I have to see if it is in large print. I still enjoy reading, I have got a kindle but I prefer real books.

• Chrissie of the island 25th May 2021 at 2:29 pm

Have you tried Audible, my eyesight is not great and although I still read books too I find listening to a good book very relaxing. Especially if the narrator is good. i always listen to a sample as some narrator’s voices are grating or unsuitable.

• Sand 25th May 2021 at 3:43 pm

I enjoy reading at the moment, I always put some music on, I have tried audible, but lost my concentration. Thanks for the idea, maybe when I get older I might try again.

• JeanPat 25th May 2021 at 5:11 pm

I love books in general and like a wide variety of authors. Two books that came to me off the top of my head when I read your post.
      1. Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee and 2. The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber. Entirely different types of books – first being an autobiographical account of leaving home and ‘growing up’ and the other a historical, haunting story based in London of past times.

Add