Home Forums Book Club Rest Less Book Bucket List – Discuss and rec...

Add comment

• Rest Less Book Bucket List – Discuss and recommend your favourite books of all time!

While we might read many books during our lifetime – there are usually only a few that stick with us long after we’ve read that final chapter. Those books are usually the most thought-provoking or emotive, or have a unique narrative style. When a book is particularly special to us, it’s normal to not only want to re-read it, but to want to discuss and recommend it to others, and to go in search of other books that will have a profound effect on us.

We’d love to know which of your favourite books you think should be added to the Rest Less book bucket list. Perhaps a book made you laugh, cry, gave you hope, or changed your life by showing you an entirely new perspective on the world. Please tell us what these books are, and what makes them a must-read!

Posted by Elise
Viewing 28 reply threads
    • Reply by wilan

To Kill A Mocking Bird and Diary of Anne Frank

• Reply by sussexhen

I find it impossible to name one book from the sheer number of books I must have read over my lifetime, the majority of which I have thoroughly enjoyed – otherwise why bother reading them. It also depends on my mood. Sometimes I like to read a pacy crime novel or thriller,  Jo Nesbo anyone? – othertimes I like to lose myself in the warmth of an Ann Tyler novel  — any will do but Breathing Lessons is a favourite. I cannot put down Elizabeth Strout and recently enjoyed Ordinary People by Diana Evans. Then there is Lionel Shriver , Fay Weldon, Sally Rooney – so many books/writers so little time.

• Reply by Mibby20

I like all sorts from historical crime fiction (CJ Samson) to science fiction (Ray Bradbury).

The Poisonwood Bible is one of my favourites. Barbara Kingsolver’s latest book, Unsheltered, is also a great read. It interweaves current world events with those of the past, very topical.

• Reply by Cowanr

To kill a Mockingbird and A handmaid’s Tail. And a book that I read as a child called I am David by Ann Holme

• Reply by sarahc68

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom is a great read.  My favourite of all time though, the one I can read over and over, is Pride and Prejudice.

• Reply by Maisie

Tony Morrison , Ahrundati Roy’s , James Baldwin, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Rohinton Mistry.

And some newcomers to my reading Sebastian Barry, Lissa Evans, Pat Barker’s  Silence of the Girls, Bernadine Evarista

So many more that I read in these times of Covid.

• Reply by billieboy

The book Thief , day of the jackal, the beach

• Reply by Sarahmobile

I love the Stieg Larsson trilogy ‘The girl …’, great writing, great suspense. I couldn’t read the third novel fast enough! I have read the others that were written by David Lagercrantz but they’re not nearly as good as the originals.

• Reply by kjbrad57

Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. If you love books you will love this one – all about the cemetery of forgotten books. Then if you enjoy it – the next one to read is The Angel’s Game, then The Prisoner of Heaven and the final boook in the series is The Labyrinth of the Spirits.

• Reply by sallie.mealing

Thanks for the recommendation, I will find a copy today. I’ve been looking for a new writer for a while.

• Reply by larry

It’s impossible to say a favourite as books are like music; your favourite definitely ends and changes with how you feel. A real stand out for me was Robert Tressell’s The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist. It’s a bit like when you go for a meal; everbody else always seems to have made a better choice when the meals arrive

• Reply by FILLYnilly

Crime / Thrillers are my favourite. Tess Gerritson – Rizzoli & Isles series. The Surgeon and The Apprentice are brilliant!

“Dead Good Books” is a great website.

• Reply by ri7ngo

A book i read when i was a lot younger was Ringolevio by Emmett Grogan – based on his life story and revolving around the Haight Ashbury hippie community in New York in the late 60s – i found it fascinating and one day will reread it to see if it still has the same appeal for me !

• Reply by sara.graham6060

This might be a little off the beaten track for most people but it had such a profound impact to me that gave me courage to do what I wanted to and be the person I should be. The book that I’m talking about is ‘The Heroine Diaries’ by Nikki Sixx the bass guitarist of Motley Crue. It’s a year of his life in minute detail discussing his drug habit and his death. He’s not dead he has been dry for 20 +years.

• Reply by missdebj

My favourite genre is Young Adult and I like the Georgia Nicholson books by Louise Rennison, because it so reminds me of my 70s childhood. They’re also funny and have some romance.

These are themes that I like in adult literature such as Me Before You – JoJo Moyes and the All Souls trilogy – Deborah Harkness. I do have a fondness for vampires, werewolves, witches and wizards as well – I’m sure you can think of various ones in this category!

My book club’s favourite was definitely Eleanor Oliphant is Fine – Gail Honeyman.  It has such real characters and a hint of mystery.

My two favourite authors of ‘grown up’ writing are David Mitchell (particularly Cloud Atlas and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet) and Jasper Fforde for the literary references in the Thursday Next series and the sheer imagination of the Nursery Crime series  I’ve recently finished The Constant Rabbit, which is story of love, justice and revenge on one level, but deeply philosophical, addressing what it means to be human, on another.

• Reply by bvpainter

Eleanor Oliphant is Fine – Gail Honeyman. is a very good book.

• Reply by davidrowley68

Reading Alexander Solzhenitsyn “August 1914” first of the Red Wheel series – great battle descriptions as the Russian and German armies clash in Prussia at Tannenberg. The conflict and pettiness between the various Generals and Colonels is fascinating. Looking forward to reading 1916 the next in the Red Wheel series.

Viewing 28 reply threads