Home Forums Health RECOVERY FOLLOWING CARDIAC ABLATION

PammyR Posted 2 months ago
RECOVERY FOLLOWING CARDIAC ABLATION

Hi,
I’m 54 years old and had a Cardiac Ablation 2 days ago for Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation. I work full time as a Nurse and have had palpitations for over 10 years, which I have been putting down to the Menopause.
I’ve been advised to take a couple of weeks off work but not really sure what I can do and when. Does anyone have any advice please.

1 like & 6 replies
    • Deleted User 17th October 2021 at 9:02 am

Hope you feel better soon.

• Pennypitstop 17th October 2021 at 12:13 pm

My partner is waiting for this to be done as he has been in and out od AF for about 10 years. I think you can pretty much carry on a s normal afterwards. Not going to the gym or jogging but you can still go for a stroll or light shopping and housework. There is a lot of info online but use a trusted site. Also your GP surgery or perhaps a pharmacist could advise you.

• PammyR 17th October 2021 at 1:45 pm

Thank you for the info. I work with a couple of Cardiologists, who don’t do the procedure, so gave vague advice. The Cardiologist who did the procedure said rest for next few days (whatever that means) then build it up.

• Brummie Boy 17th October 2021 at 11:18 pm

Hi Pammy, I have had an ICD fitted following a MI ten years ago it doesn’t help the symptoms, but gives me reassurance if it happens again I should be shocked back to life,but didn’t realise how life changing this could be as I had to give up work due to the physical effort needed to continue doing my job. Good luck and take care 👍

• PammyR 18th October 2021 at 5:30 am

Thank you for replying Brummie Boy. I’m hoping I’ll be able to resume normal activities soon, and praying that I don’t have to have the procedure done again.
      I’m fortunate that I now have a desk job, which can be very mentally taxing, but the physical pressures have definitely reduced. I can also take a flexible early retirement from next year, which I didn’t plan to do until I’m 60, but at least I have the option.
      Sorry to hear you’ve had such a tough time.

• Dai 19th October 2021 at 2:11 pm

Having had AFib and a peculiar heart rhythm for at least 11 years and not wanting to undergo any form of heart surgery I saw a naturopath who recommended hawthorn extract/berries supplements and have been taking them ever since. Staying fit has helped me and now that I am 60 am still exercising regularly with no issues even just signed up for a triathlon in June. A healthy environment, sufficient exercise, good food and water I have found helps a lot.

Add