Home Forums Science & Nature Re-wilding our landscape…

Westlinstar Posted 6 months ago
Re-wilding our landscape…
18 likes & 52 replies
    • Deleted User 7th August 2021 at 2:59 pm

… there can be a lot of learning curves drawn from this project and already established rewilded areas in Europe > https://rewildingeurope.com/areas/central-apennines/

• Daisychain 7th August 2021 at 6:33 pm

Read a great book recently called Wilding. It tells the journey of a rewilding project in Sussex on a small estate. Lots of interesting information about the connectivity of nature and the success they have had with the reintroduction of birds and insects because of it. An absolutely great read and perhaps could point the way forward for all of us.

• Chirp03 7th August 2021 at 7:43 pm

Counties are already introducing species that used to roam our country side and woodland, don’t know about wolves though, don’t think dog walkers would approve.

• Deleted User 7th August 2021 at 8:44 pm

The consideration of re-introducing any mammal, insect or even plant species into the wild is an incredibly intrinsic pre-planning … the natural food chain has to be established first … so does the botany and biosphere … it is not merely a matter of … lets drop some wolves in Scotland and see how they fair…the balance is so complex that many of these projects fail before the animals are ever introduced. It also shows quite clearly the shortcomings of us humans to think we are “superior” and act “holistic” and more harmoniously with nature … never mind the dog-walkers …

• LawrieL 8th August 2021 at 9:34 am

I agree with you MissAuthenticity. We humans struggle to see the whole picture, the connectivity of all species. Canada made a huge mistake killing off one predator to then have the problem of overpopulation of other animals that have now become a nuisance to some humans – hence further culling. I’m UK not Canadian but was made aware of this on a visit there

• Deleted User 7th August 2021 at 9:45 pm

How Wolves Change Rivers

It’s almost like magic!

• Deleted User 8th August 2021 at 12:21 pm

Fascinating thanks … nature always is🐾💦🌿

• MontyCarlo 8th August 2021 at 2:04 pm

Amazing! If ever we needed to be persuaded that ‘man’ does not know how to manage the land, here it is. Nature is such a delicate and intricate balance, how can we ever understand it – just sit back and enjoy it, but don’t meddle with it.

• Vixster 8th August 2021 at 3:45 pm

Yes bring them back. As a dog owner why wouldn’t I support this (they did after all descend from wolves)? I wouldn’t let my dog off the lead anywhere where he was a hazard to others or vice versa. Learn to live with nature rather than concrete it all over!

• Artemis 8th August 2021 at 4:56 pm

Sadly we have meddled with nature far too much already. We think it is there for us to do what we like with, and we are reaping the consequences. The best re-wilding is actually done by nature herself if we step back and stop interfering. Having said that there have been some successful schemes – but as MissAuthenticity said it has to be done with the utmost care and by people who know exactly what thy are doing

• LawrieL 8th August 2021 at 7:14 pm

Artemis. Just watching Countryfile about rewilding. I agree with you and others that we meddle too much, thinking we can do as nature does. Single specie introduction will never work. Beavers were introduced in Scotland and licenses are now being issued to cull 87 of them.

• Deleted User 8th August 2021 at 5:23 pm

People fall into a trap when they start talking about us meddling with nature.
      Nature fighting back against us.
      We are nature.
      We’re not anything else.
      It’s like saying nature is fighting with itself trying to chop off one it’s own legs.
      People talk about the environment as if it’s something over there something outside something we visit now and again.
      We are the environment and all our concrete and steel is also the environment.
      It’s obvious that we are bad stewards of the parts of our environment that are essential to support other life forms that share the environment with us.
      This talking in a way that makes us separate from nature separate from the environment says to me we have lost touch with reality.
      The reality of living the best we can with as many other species as we can.
      We have lost touch with reality to the extent we no longer live with the world we live on the world.
      This verbal separating ourselves from the rest of creation leads to us becoming parasitic.
      We need new thinking which I’m pretty sure is old thinking.
      We need to stand before our creator or before the head of the interplanetary chief or whatever it is you believe and say this is us… us being the beetles the moths the carrots the bears the oceans the birds the elephants as one.
      This is us and of course we’ll still kill for food uproot for highways or dinner the lions will still kill the gazelles and so on.
      This is reality this is the planet of fire air water death blood intelligence hope fear sweat achievement loss and so on.
      Welcome to planet earth.

• LawrieL 8th August 2021 at 7:25 pm

Jac-b, you are right, we are Nature, we are part of the whole, we are made of the same stuff as stars, BUT humans are destroying what’s there to nourish and sustain us. No longer killing another creature just to survive, we’ve become gluttonous and the more gluttony the more erroneous methods are used in rearing the creatures we want to eat. The destruction of forests, the poisoning of soils and devastation we’re now causing in the seas. I’m not proud to be the specie that has set itself apart from nature, reaking havoc wherever it goes.

• Artemis 8th August 2021 at 10:12 pm

I totally agree. However in order to make a big change in attitudes we have to start from where people are. We have to start with “let’s treat nature a lot better and stop destroying her” and move on to the idea that we ARE nature, as people respond.

• Deleted User 8th August 2021 at 10:43 pm

If we tell them last then they won’t respond.
          Most of what people are being told about all this climate alarmism is false or as they say these days fake news and more and more people are figuring it out so are believing less and less of what they hear.
          While they have you gazing at the sky the oceans are dying so they continue to get away with it.
          The oceans are probably the biggest threat to your lives but they’ll keep you looking at the sky.

• Artemis 8th August 2021 at 11:03 pm

I would love to hear what you think people are being told that is “alarmist” and not true. Yes, the oceans are in a parlous state and yes they drive many of our weather systems.
          We are not asking folk to look at the sky we are asking them to look around at the devestation and destruction we are causing which is severely unbalancing the natural world and its bidoversity, and reducing its ability to provide the essentials for our life such as clean air (oxygen) and clean water and healthy soil

• Deleted User 8th August 2021 at 11:18 pm

The more CO2 in the atmosphere the more plant life grows the more plant life the more oxygen.

Here’s NASA but they keep getting leaned on when they publish articles like this.

Carbon Dioxide Fertilization Greening Earth, Study Finds

The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States.

Green leaves use energy from sunlight through photosynthesis to chemically combine carbon dioxide drawn in from the air with water and nutrients tapped from the ground to produce sugars, which are the main source of food, fiber and fuel for life on Earth. Studies have shown that increased concentrations of carbon dioxide increase photosynthesis, spurring plant growth.

More here >>> https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

• Deleted User 8th August 2021 at 11:21 pm

Climate of ignorance

Global greening is the name given to a gradual, but large, increase in green vegetation on the planet over the past three decades. The climate change lobby is keen to ensure that if you hear about it at all, you hear that it is a minor thing, dwarfed by the dangers of global warming. Actually, it could be the other way round: greening is a bigger effect than warming.

Back in 1908 Svante Arrhenius, a Nobel laureate and the father of the greenhouse theory, predicted something like this would happen. ‘By the influence of the increasing percentage of carbonic acid in the atmosphere, we may hope to enjoy ages with more equable and better climates,’ he wrote. The earth, he predicted, ‘will bring forth much more abundant crops than at present, for the benefit of rapidly propagating mankind’. This has proved to be the case. Environmentally, this is perhaps the best news you’ve
          never heard about.

More here >>> https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/climate-of-ignorance

• Deleted User 8th August 2021 at 11:47 pm

All the CO2 in the coal and the oil came from the sky when the CO2 concentration was 2,000 ppm as opposed to todays 400 ppm or thereabouts and people want me to panic?
          At 2000 ppm the earth was mostly a giant steaming jungle teaming with life.
          Elephants crocs lion hippos etc etc etc.
          Be very sweaty and uncomfortable for us at those levels but even then life is thriving.
          Warmer wetter means greenery grows like mad.
          Greenery is food.
          We have returned a miniscule amount of that carbon the atmosphere and barely raised the temperature 1 degree C.
          I think everyone has heard of the little ice age that gripped Northern Europe and in the UK they had the famous frost fairs on the river Thames. It was easier back then for the river to freeze solid because it was much shallower but the little ice age is a scientific fact.
          What a lot of people don’t know is the CO2 levels had risen and then we got the mini ice age. What’s all that about?
          Few people know about the warming period that came a thousand years ago melting massive parts of Greenland that are now covered in hundreds of feet of ice.
          It became known as the medieval warm period. Warm enough that the Danes started planting woodlands and farming the place. There are remains of their stone houses and churches to this day.
          What was causing all that melting and warming?
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period

• Artemis 9th August 2021 at 12:04 am
        • Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 12:34 am

But we are a long way off having to much.

• Artemis 8th August 2021 at 11:57 pm

Studies have also shown that there is a cut off point beyond which excess Carbon is no longer beneficial to plants, They can only take up so much.

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 12:03 am

That’s correct that’s why more and more plants grow and will do for a long period of time.
          We are coming to the end of coal and oil burning which has already been massively slashed and will only go down further over the next few years. Or will it?
          China India Pakistan are currently building thirty huge coal powered plants.
          Polytunnel farming uses huge amounts of CO2 which is pumped in almost none stop to increase crop yield.
          Faster growing healthier plants more fruits and leaves more crops per season etc.
          One idea is to pass the CO2 from the coal burning through massive areas of covered food production where the CO2 mixed with sunlight oxygen and water will produce sugars… food.

• Artemis 9th August 2021 at 12:09 am

This may increase yield but what about the nutritional value. Studies say that goes down Read the article for which I posted the link

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 12:25 am

It does go down but is still way above what your great grandma would have had in the nineteenth century.
          Why are you so negative?
          I wouldn’t be able to go about my day if I didn’t see all the good stuff that’s going on behind all the alarmism.
          Or other stuff that’s blatantly untrue like rising sea levels we’re all going to drown!
          Cheer up the future can be brighter than you think if you don’t switch all the lights off and give up everything that’s made your life so easy and interesting.
          You have foods and medicines and contraptions beyond the wildest dreams of ancient kings and even Pharos.

• Artemis 9th August 2021 at 1:47 pm

I am not negative I just see what a lot of folk do not want to see. Of course I see all the good stuff being done and I am part of that process, supporting numerous groups large and small. There is however only so much they and individuals can do. How do you you suggest Mr and Mrs Average do anything about the rapid destruction of the lungs of the world when just one man has the power to order it to be cleared and those who live there to be displaced or killed ? How can Mr and Mrs Average make any contribution to influencing the Gulf Stream – currently causing alarm amongst scientists who see it approaching a point of no return which will mean it no longer keeps us warm, and huge areas in the northern hemisphere will freeze over like another Siberia. We can do much – and many folk are – to deal with the smaller things, but big problems need big solutions – only possible if governments and businesses stop arguing about ‘Growth” and economics and profits and get working on huge actions.
          Think of our world as our earth ship. There are numerous holes in the hull below the waterline. Many passengers are doing their best to plug the leaks, many more are baling furiously, there are no lifeboats. Some are even throwing excess baggage overboard to lighten the ship. Many passengers are still partying and drinking, champagne, Other are going mad. But the big work needs to be done by the crew – covering the huge holes which cannot be dealt with by amateurs. That is my point.

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 2:29 pm

It’s a nice story but it’s a fairy story for the masses. It simply isn’t true like most of the alarmist stuff.
          Have a look here from a very respectable source FORBES.

Why Everything They Say About The Amazon, Including That It’s The ‘Lungs Of The World,’ Is Wrong
          https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/08/26/why-everything-they-say-about-the-amazon-including-that-its-the-lungs-of-the-world-is-wrong/?sh=5fe8b2c5bde0

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 2:45 pm

The public at large are easy to manipulate with headlines.
          A lot of dishonesty goes on by omission.
          Most people think that Greenland has become so warm it’s losing all it’s ice when it clearly isn’t.
          Greenland’s main glacier has now been piling on ice as the Northern Hemisphere has been cooling for four years now.
          When I say piling it on I mean piling it on!
          Four years on the run now this biggest of glaciers has thickened on top over massive areas by a hundred feet a year.
          An average UK two story house is twenty five feet from floor to roof top so that’s the equivalent of four two story houses stacked on top of each other. Over four years that’s sixteen two story houses piled on top of each other. That’s a lot of ice but where are the fake news media the Guardian BBC etc in telling us this reality?
          It goes against everything they have been telling us for years. It’s a big problem listening to science correspondents most of the time as opposed to listening to and looking at the actual science and events around us.
          Where we could send ships four years ago we no longer can because the glacier is also building itself out to sea creating massive sea ice walls blocking all attempts.
          By the way if the temperature goes up another one degree C on average it will take five thousand years to clear Greenland of all it’s ice.
          Here’s NASA earth observatory. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145185/major-greenland-glacier-is-growing

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 3:20 pm

How about the rising sea level stories?
          I live not far from the sea and it’s where we used to come for holidays from Manchester in the 50’s and 60’s.
          My grandchildren now play on the same beaches I did almost 70 years ago. Same sand dunes same rock pools same sea walls and nothing has changed.
          How are Atlantic islands doing?
          Google Nantucket island Martha’s vineyard?

Here’s an interesting reality in The Indian Ocean.
          The British stole some islands years ago and one they have rented out to the Americans who have spent billions on building a military base. The natives keep fighting in the courts to be allowed back but the excuse of not letting them back is rising sea levels make it pointless.
          Well the American government and the Pentagon would be aware of these things.
          So are they vacating their spot getting out of there or building sea defences? No they are in fact starting to spend more money enlarging the base for future conflicts.
          There base is on Diego Garcia and has industrial sized fuel tanks… on the beach no less to fuel war planes war ships submarines.
          They restock ships with personnel medicine food clothing bombs bullets rockets etc all the things of war.
          They also have high tech communications stuff there and even a space telescope.
          This stuff has cost billions and they surely need to protect their investment if there’s any truth in the alarmist stories regarding rising oceans need to be sure they can carry on their daily doings safely?
          This island is on average one metre (three feet) above sea level.
          Here are some interesting pictures >>> scroll down slowly and look at what’s at stake >>> https://www.google.com/search?q=diego+garcia&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB913GB913&sxsrf=ALeKk03B3Lryw6CsoHZ30EOsEiMLXqlQZg:1628518775959&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjFppqZkaTyAhVOa8AKHVDmD-wQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1745&bih=881

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 3:24 pm

Here’s a news article about the future of the island as far as the Americans are concerned >>>>>>

Diego Garcia: Why This Base Is About To Get Much More Important to the U.S. Military

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/diego-garcia-why-base-about-get-much-more-important-us-military-45682

• Artemis 9th August 2021 at 6:16 pm

That seems to be almost entirely about fires -which I did not mention. I spoke of increasing clearance (which is to allow access to mining companies and similar destructive and toxic companies) and the displacement or killing of local people.

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 9:13 pm

Without these companies we get no pensions not much of anything in fact.
          What are you commenting on here with?
          Pc Tablet phones etc all have precious mined metals in them and plastics. In fact all our electronic gear is highly toxic and polluting to the environment and surely not essential?
          Batteries are really really bad for the environment in their manufacture and then in their disposal.
          Most modern drugs/medicines are made from oil natural gas and coal.
          How are you going to keep warm this winter?
          I’m going to be burning coal and logs because these small villages have no mains gas electricity is absurdly expensive to use and escalating in price oil is going through the roof.
          I’m mostly on logs which is more environmentally friendly than the coal.
          I thought you said you were doing your bit with similar minded people but I see you are relying on miners cutting down trees and impacting the landscape in many other ways.
          A good place to start would be to quit your reliance on these people and practices and avoid all modern medicine communications transport etc. I hope you have thick clothes and blankets.
          In fact maybe we should all come with you and produce nothing consume nothing and live in trees.
          I’ve posted stuff about cleaning up our act you’re beginning to sound like you want to close down our act!
          Might sound like I’m being a bit flippant and maybe I am but your guilty and coming up with no answers.
          Not long now till the superstars and powerful all meet up having jetted in from all over the world and then the giant luxury 4X4’s to tell me how I should be living!
          All they get from me is a little laughter.
          So what are you going to do about all the problems including this idea you have about rain forests being the lungs of the world?
          It’s a serious question not a dig.
          These things have to hammered out if we have any chance of coming to solutions.

• Artemis 9th August 2021 at 10:46 pm

The companies I am speaking of are not providing our pensions as they destroy more and more land in far away countries.
          When I say I am trying to do my bit, I mean supporting those organisations which are working hard to restore land and ecosystems, (Woodland Trust and Plantlife) to bring practical help to poor families who lack basic facilities and suffer the most from our changing climactic conditions (TreeAid and Practlcal Action) who are encouraging and supporting farmers who want to restore the health of their soil to produce healthier food and crops without toxic inputs ( Regenerative Farming. Growing a Revolution. National Farmland Trust, Soil Association and others)
          In our modern world you are right, it is virtually impossible to move away from many of the things upon which we depend. You have to be young and fit and find your hut where you can live off grid. Since I am 83, disabled, and have to care for my disabled husband, it is really rather too much to expect me to move into the forest and live on nuts and berrries – much as I might like to. All I can do is try to help as best I can those who are able to start the changes we need to see, and network as much as I can in their support. So if you feel I am guilty of making things worse I am sorry.
          Lots of folk much cleverer than I have numerous answers, and I would not presume to know better than specialists in their fields. In my own sphere I garden for wild life, use no chemicals, and grow what small amount of food I have room for, I wonder what else you expect of me ? and I also wonder what example you are setting in your life ?

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 11:34 pm

Thank you Art for your patience with me many younger folk would have thrown a hissy fit by now!
          Yes you are guilty as we all are.
          Trouble is it’s a bit like being in a trap in many ways.
          We want to be part of the solution when a lot of the time were actually part of the problem.
          I would love to go off and live in a hut in the woodlands but at our ages it isn’t going to happen.
          But you have a great intellect at 83 which is being used not just for you and your husband but the next lot coming behind us.
          I’m nearly 70 and disabled with some serious health issues so I can understand to some extent your personal struggles as my wife is not at all well either.
          I’ll have to Google TreeAid and Practlcal Action.
          We have planted an orchard over and over the last six years it has flourished… only six trees we don’t have a lot of space. Also every fruit bush you can imagine saves us traipsing out along the local country roads and falling in the ditches.
          We grow spuds cabbages beetroot carrots onions peas and have chickens. Well we have had chickens for thirty five years but recently got rid of the last few as we are planning on moving early next year.
          I’m in a very small village in the hills and it’s time I headed for some shops pubs parks etc and piped gas! The opposite of what I would really like to do.
          I have gotten my road mileage cut by two thirds which for me is quite an achievement.
          We collect rain water for the garden.
          We have a productive garden but very messy intentionally to attract wildlife.
          Bees butterflies moths beetles birds and so on.
          It was a lawn when we moved here we hate lawns like we hate golf courses!
          We leave a certain amount of fruit and berries for the wildlife to share.
          I don’t believe there’s anything whatsoever we can do to change the climate to a temperature that makes sense to anyone let alone everyone. That would be serious meddling with the climate the atmosphere etc and would be beyond rational. Bill Gates wants to dim the sun. The sun is our source of everything! How come these billionaires who know how to make money get to dictate to the world how they are taking over vaccination programmes climate programs etc.
          What really disturbs me is geoengineering when I see floods fires extreme weather but I’ll let someone accuse me of being a fruit cake before I touch on that.
          I think I’ve provided a fair bit of evidence that what science correspondents supply the world with and what scientists from NASA etc say are at odds.
          NASA by the way seem to have behaved a bit rouge as far as their own government are concerned and they have to keep their funding so whenever they step away from the MSM mantra they have to make retractions but they rarely completely bow down.
          The world has gone quite mad we now have billionaires flying off to the edges of space in money consuming fancy’s and environment damaging rocket ships.
          No doubt Branson and Bezos will be at the climate summit arriving in their private jets and lecturing us on living more frugal lives.
          All the best Art you are an inspirational woman bit like my hard working wife.

• Artemis 10th August 2021 at 4:38 pm

When I saw this I wondered for a moment who Art was !
          I have seen it so often, you get nowhere when you throw a hissy fit or call the other person a plonker (or worse) Mature conversation, and accepting other’s points of view of view is the only way to get anywhere.
          I envy your your orchard and other growing areas’ we are sooo small that a couple of raised beds is all I can manage.
          The original subject here was re-wilding and I wonder if you have come across Knepp farm? https://knepp.co.uk/home ? I think someone here mentioned it without actually giving the name. They are currently under attack from development which wants to ruin the land right up to their borders. No where is safe.

Artemis (please) = goddess of the hunt

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 12:33 am

Do you have little green recycling bins for your food waste?

We do and it creates mountains of compost for renewing soil.

Around me I have only small towns and villages but each council area creates these huge piles of excellent compost for renewing the soil. This is going on on most of the planet.

The worlds soils have hardly been touched yet as there are billions of acres on the planet of good soils largely untouched yet.

Did you know Europe and the UK are no longer producing enough people to work and create wealth?

Same for most of the industrialised world.

Young people want comfort money belongings and not children and the fertility rates are plummeting.

The UN seem quite confident that world population is arriving at its peak and might have actually done so already.

Population falling, food production rising as the earth gets greener.

• Daisychain 8th August 2021 at 5:24 pm

The rewilding in Sussex worked with the ex forester from Windsor Great Park and a successful rewilding group from the Netherlands. The first thing they did was to look at the food chain and worked out what was missing. There was a great discussion about the nature of the land and what would have been a ‘natural’ habitat. They removed the canalised river banks allowing it to flood. They have had growth in flora and fauna populations without reintroducing specific species. The only animals introduced were cattle as close as they could to more natural species and pigs to churn the ground. The gradual repopulation by nightingales and butterflies was amazing. I’m in awe of this project and the success it has had over a relatively small area.

• A-J 8th August 2021 at 6:42 pm

I’m for it. It would be well planned and managed and on a specific site – which I want to visit now! The wolves wouldn’t be let loose to enter human areas so very little ‘threat’ there and it seems that they would benefit the landscape and the biodiversity – also evidenced in the video posted here about the wolves and their positive impact at Yellowstone. Fingers crossed he manages it.

• Deleted User 8th August 2021 at 10:33 pm

We re-wilded the rivers in the late seventies through the eighties and did what was deemed impossible.

When I grew up in the fifties every building that needed heat and or hot water used coal.

Railway station waiting rooms were coal fired as were the trains.

Hospitals houses factories offices schools shops large and small, palaces pubs hotels you name it everyone was burning coal on a massive scale.

Bigger the house the more chimneys there were.

Even ships were coal fired.

I remember the shop windows being so grimy and when it rained the carbon dust could be seen flowing along the kerbside gutter and into the drains.

The buildings were all black the people grimy.

Everything even the farmland was covered in black carbon dust.

Women would check which way the wind was blowing before deciding whether or not it was a good idea to hang out the washing… many never could!

All that has now gone and we have blue skies again and yes I’m well aware of invisible pollution but peoples homes and lungs are so much cleaner and healthier. All these smoking chimneys went on into the so called swinging sixties. Two hundred years of blackness.

Then there were the dead streams and rivers all across the land.

We were told that the rivers could never be brought back to life because the beds were so toxic with the chemicals metals and human waste that had flowed freely into them for nearly two hundred years. Yet here we are with most of those rivers teeming once again with insect plant microbial life that supports the bird and fish life now living on these once poisonous flows.

More or less every light bulb on the planet has been changed for low energy ones massively cutting down on energy use and waste. All the buildings and streets now use low energy lighting.

Across the world wind and solar farms are going up.

Britain’s windfarm construction is the largest engineering project the nation has ever been involved in.

People are living longer healthier lives than ever before.

Even animals are doing much better than in the past.

When I was a kid many butchers shops had an abattoir at the back where animals were clubbed and then shot with a bolt in front of other animals awaiting their turn. We still don’t live in an ideal but what do people expect?

The Greta Thunbergs want it all done right this minute ignoring the massive advances we have made to making the environment better.

When I tell my grandchildren what the world was like seventy years ago they half believe me because it all sounds so incomprehensible to them.

I show them the following pictures and they say how did people breath?

Going to Blackpool for your holidays or North Wales might seem a little naff now but people got to the seaside of freshsea air blue skies and sunshine something they didn’t have back home.

So no I’m not having it that man is some evil psychopathic uncaring killer of the planet.

That title belongs to a mere handful of people who own and control this world.

A handful of people who are destructive killers who tell you what to think what to believe day after day hammering in lies and half truths so relentlessly that they become a truth to the majority of mankind.

Those who dare delve a little further from the agenda the story we are supposed to believe get labelled conspiracy theorists purveyors of false news when exactly the opposite is usually the reality.

Scientific industrial economic and military censorship has never been bigger or more powerful than now.

These pictures of the 1950’s are incomprehensible to my grandchildren.
      Click to enlarge.

• Artemis 8th August 2021 at 11:51 pm

Whilst you make some very good points, I am afraid that what we have today is a pollution which is much more subtle
        In the days of coal very few folk had cars. Now almost every family has two or even three and our roads are jammed. The toxic emissions from cars and lorries cannot be seen but it is still klling people especially children – one child in a classroom with asthma used to be the norm then, now it quite a lot.
        In the days of coal we did not have plastic. Now there is not a place on earth where it cannot be found, killing thousand of creatures who mistake it for food or who get tangled in it and die.
        In the days of coal I agree that some of our rivers were not as clean as they should be, but the clean up was short lived and now there is not a single river in the land which is un-polluted = almost entirely due to the run off from factory ‘farms’ and modern agriculture.
        In the days of coal we used simple stuff to do our household cleaning. Now we have a myriad of chemicals which adversely affect us and get into the environment.
        In the days of coal most of the food we ate was wholesome, full of nutrients, because it had been grown in healthy soil. Now much of our land is so degraded by years of chemical input and bad management that nutrient levels have dropped significantly and we cannot be sure what poisons we are eating.
        I could go on, but I hope that I have made the point. Our modern world and the things we all do are killing the natural environent on which our lives depend.

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 12:16 am

And people are working on correcting these things.
          One thing we can’t do is switch off our world.
          Plastic is one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century and has become a necessary material just about everywhere.
          Just chucking it over our shoulders and hoping it will go away is what is wrong and many people are working on recycling the stuff and the stuff hardest to recycle as in turn it literally into something else is now remaining as plastic but being used in construction.
          Beams planks etc.
          Some of you will have plastic planks in your garden where you sit in the sun.
          These are recycled plastics.
          Roads building materials etc are now being created from discarded and spent plastic.
          Once waste gains some kind of monetary value it is no longer waste but a resource.
          This is growing rapidly too .>> stories like this hardly ever get news time and when they do they are under reported making them niche items not serious news items that give people new insights into what is going on around them.
          The name of the game is doom and gloom and controlling people through fear.
          Good news? No one wants you to have truly good news.
          This is why most peoples knowledge of what is going on in the world of environmentalism comes from activists and science correspondents as opposed to scientists.
          Good news? Belittle it sweep it under the rug make it seem insignificant bury it or simply don’t tell anyone.

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 12:20 am

I have a really nice pair of leather boots, fashion boots as opposed to working boots.
          Thirty quid.
          Brown ankle huggers posh looking for the price and they aren’t really leather.
          They are made from recycled materials in China.
          Paper and textiles and plastics people are surprised when I tell them.

• Artemis 10th August 2021 at 4:43 pm

A sort of P.S. Greta does not want it all to happen right now, she wants governments and companies to actually GET STARTED right now, with no time to waste. So far there has been loads of talk and very little action. And some governments are actually facilitating all kinds of things which are making it far worse.

• Deleted User 8th August 2021 at 11:54 pm

Roman Warm Period Was 2°C Warmer Than Today, New Study Shows

The Empire coincided with a 500-year period, from AD 1 to AD 500, that was the warmest period of the last 2,000 years in the almost completely land-locked sea.

The climate later progressed towards colder and arid conditions that coincided with the historical fall of the Empire, scientists claim.

In that very warm period the Romans were growing quality grapes along Hadrian’s wall and producing quality wines.

There are the remains of the grape growing terraces that can be visited by tourists today.
      This climate phase corresponds to what is known as the ‘Roman Climatic Optimum’ characterised by prosperity and expansion of the Empire, giving warmth and sunlight to crops.

Roman Climatic Optimum, a phase of warm stable temperatures across much of the Mediterranean heartland, covers the whole phase of origin and expansion of the Roman Empire.

The greatest time of the Roman Empire coincided with the warmest period of the last 2,000 years in the Mediterranean.

What was that all about?

https://www.thegwpf.com/roman-warm-period-was-2c-warmer-than-today-new-study/

• Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 1:26 am
    • Sonny1234 9th August 2021 at 8:52 am

I am all for the reintroduction of wolves , they are fascinating animals & deserve to be allowed to roam freely .
      Of course there is the safety aspect & none of us would like to be surrounded by a pack of them , but if it can be done I hope it happens .

• Deleted User 10th August 2021 at 5:20 pm

Otters return to ‘healthy’ rivers around Wales
      The otter population is booming in Wales, according to the latest survey.
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11989441

• Deleted User 10th August 2021 at 5:26 pm

Go-ahead for £15m scheme to restore coastal river valley to more natural state

A £15 million scheme to restore a coastal river valley to a more natural state to cope with climate change and boost wildlife has been given the go-ahead.

The Lower Otter Estuary restoration project aims to help the valley on the south Devon coast adapt to climate change and create an internationally important wildlife reserve.

The River Otter is already home to England’s first new wild population of beavers, which were given the right to remain on the waterway after a…

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/national/18994378.go-ahead-15m-scheme-restore-coastal-river-valley-natural-state/

• Deleted User 18th August 2021 at 7:56 pm

The average temperature here this last week has been around 16C that’s 60F.

Till around lunchtime it was 59F.

I have the logs and coal burning again.

Last year I had to keep having days where I lit the fire through June August September onward this year is worse.

The summer this year didn’t start at all till the end of June.
      Are we having a spell of global or localised cooling by any chance?

• lonerover 13th September 2021 at 8:32 pm

Has global warming (climate change) been taken into account when considering reintroducing these species.

Add