Home Forums Book Club Re-reading childhood books during lockdown? Anyone...

beichris Posted 1 year ago
Re-reading childhood books during lockdown? Anyone else found this comforting? What have you re-read from your childhood?

I am reading “The Luck of Sallowby” by Malcolm Saville. One of my favourite adventure yarns when I was a child. I am stocking up to re-read the Swallows and Amazons series over Christmas. Also “Eagle of the Ninth” by Rosemary Sutcliffe and of course “The Owl Service” by Alan Garner. I just find this so calming and it doesn’t seem like a huge commitment to read each one. I guess I wouldn’t even have thought of this without lockdown. Still reading my usual amount of adult books so this is a win win. Love to hear what you have read from your past.

11 likes & 63 replies
    • beichris 16th December 2020 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. I am trying to find a book I read in my childhood that was an adventure set in Lille in France around children growing up around the railway yards. I have not a clue about author or title. I have tried Mappit.net but it is not on there. Don’t suppose anyone knows the another way of tracking down an unknown book!!! Mappit.net will waste hours of your time though!

• PhilB 16th December 2020 at 8:09 pm

My contacts have suggested A Hundred Million Francs by Paul Berna.

• beichris 17th December 2020 at 3:17 pm

Thank you so much and your contacts!! Book is on order already. Really looking forward to reading it over Christmas. I think that somehow this book is responsible for my Georges Simenon obsession. Can’t wait to feel if that is the case. Thanks again.

• PhilB 17th December 2020 at 3:55 pm

That’s my pleasure. I work with a lot of school librarians, and I thought if anyone would be able to identify the title it would be them. Enjoy re-reading it!
          Phil

• JoanH 17th December 2020 at 10:42 pm

I have also been searching for a book I loved as a child. No idea of the title or the author and feel very foolish when I ask about it in secondhand bookshops! It was set in a rural French Canadian family home with the main character called Suzette. A bit like a Canadian Milly-Molly-Mandy I think.
        I’ve been trawling the pages of this website recently to try and find it:
        https://www.tias.com/books/childrens/page/20/

Good luck with your search!

• Pam Blackwell 31st December 2020 at 11:01 am

Is this the one where she had a rag rug next to her bed to keep her toes warm when she got out of bed on an icy winter morning and they went to the trees to collect maple syrup? Of so I have very fond memories.
          On the other hand I particularly remember a book called Martin Merryfeather which I thought was the bees’ knees when I read it some half century ago. Would be pleased to come across it again. Any ideas?

• Deleted User 16th December 2020 at 5:51 pm

I thought I would enjoy Swallows and Amazons but unfortunately so dated now. I loved The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner – scary!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 16th December 2020 at 9:03 pm

I bought a copy of Swallows and Amazons a few years ago as I remembered reading the whole series as a child and loving them 😀

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 16th December 2020 at 9:07 pm

Does anyone have or know of “Island of Pines “ by Elleston Trevor , I adored it as a child and have been looking for it for about 30 years ! All I can find is an expensive first edition on Amazon …

• Brighton Belle 16th December 2020 at 9:38 pm

Animal Farm George Orwell

• Lynn57 17th December 2020 at 2:09 pm

I am onto my 8th Christmas novel in as many weeks. As I live alone, when I get lonely and down in the mouth, I read out loud to my 13 year old Patterdale Terrier Jess! I just started to read, ‘The Shack’ by Wm Paul Young. The books I have dabbled in from childhood recently is an illustrated poetry book bought for me Christmas 1970. My favourite childhood book is ‘Jayne Eyre’ closely followed by Enid Blyton’s, ‘The Magic Faraway Tree’ which always enchanted me as a small child.

• waterbrook 18th December 2020 at 11:05 am

I hope you enjoy The Shack..I found it a good read!

• Lynn57 24th December 2020 at 11:25 am

I have finished reading ‘The Shack’ and found it quite uplifting and spiritual. Not a bad read at all. for something completely different, Christmas novel number 9 is, Christmas Shopaholic’ by Sophie Kinsella. have a lovely Christmas and a safe one! xx Lynn

• jao10 18th December 2020 at 11:46 am

I too live alone, so I think it is nice to be part of a virtual community like this. This is especially so during this Covid crisis.

• Yogi 1st January 2021 at 8:40 am

Loved both of these books!

• Mudjoy 17th December 2020 at 11:05 pm

Some books just take me back to the moment when I was given them. And my father’s encyclopaedias are now historic document. These books all feel like old friends.

• beichris 20th December 2020 at 11:51 am

I know what you mean about books being old friends. I have one or two special books that I was left from my father’s collection. A bit soppy but just flicking through them again makes me think fondly of him.

• waterbrook 18th December 2020 at 11:02 am

I haven’t beeñ reading kids books but watching dramatised versions on I player..David Walliams books and Mallory Towers and The Worst Witch

• Deleted User 19th December 2020 at 11:48 am

My favourite childhood book, and funny enough I was thinking about it recently is Enid Blyton’s The Magic Wishing Chair. I loved the idea of a land where you could eat everything and the valley of ice cream would be my dream holiday destination

• beichris 20th December 2020 at 5:58 pm

I mostly remember the “adventure” Enid Blyton books but thinking back to the old bookshelf in my childhood home I must have read almost all of her books. Why can’t I remember a valley of ice cream!? Like you I think that it would be a nice place to visit.

• Deleted User 20th December 2020 at 7:29 pm

It was probably only a short sentence about the valley of ice cream. I also remember the shop with the tap that poured every flavour of soup you could ask for. I don’t think you paid anything in the shops, no mention of money changing hands. Another reason to go there haha

• AngieDay 28th December 2020 at 1:38 pm

What a lovely idea! I had completely forgotten Alan Garner, loved his books, particularly Elidor. I also enjoyed Enid Blyton, The Magic Faraway Tree was my favourite. Happy memories 🙂

• Northern lass 28th December 2020 at 6:37 pm

Loved the Railway Children again

• Yogi 29th December 2020 at 8:08 am

Ooooh, I’m definitely adding these to my list! One of my faves is ‘The Talking Parcel’ by Gerald Durrel

• JayCee 31st December 2020 at 10:05 am

I worked in a primary school for a number of years and began reading the books there, especially the ones that weren’t around when I was at school. I’ve enjoyed Roald Dahl, Michael Morpurgo and David Walliams. All great for a bit of escapism.

• Jaxx 1st January 2021 at 5:50 pm

I love rereading the Brumby books by Elyne Mitchell. Also got a couple of DVDs from the 70s – Follyfoot and The Changes

• Who 2nd January 2021 at 3:48 pm

I enjoyed reading the Mockingjay novels last year. Not too difficult and ultimately reading should not be work.

• Who 2nd January 2021 at 3:54 pm

Lion the Witch & The Wardrobe stories, in fact anything by C. S. Lewis, simple to read.

• Sueg 6th January 2021 at 10:23 am

Hi, my favourite books are The Little Princess and Anne of Green Gables, sometimes reread them, very comforting. Great question and I have written down a couple of books I would like to try as a result of these posts. Thank you. Sue

• Willow60 12th January 2021 at 2:53 pm

Hi Sue,
        I know this conversation is about books but have you watched Anne with an E on Netflix? It is a series based on the L. M. Montgomery books, I binge-watched the whole series on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, it really helped me through!

• Sueg 12th January 2021 at 3:33 pm

Hi, my husband has ended our Netflix subscription as we hardly used it. Shame, as I would have liked this too i am sure. I don’t think the dvds are available anymore as have searched for them. Many thanks for your reply.

• GaryC 6th January 2021 at 8:19 pm

I’ve been re-reading Biggles books. I’d forgotten much I enjoyed them.

• beichris 7th January 2021 at 5:35 pm

Hi Gary, great idea to go back to Biggles. I borrowed them from the library and read them over and over when I was a boy. I think my brother still has his own stash.

• Chris in the garden 9th January 2021 at 2:02 pm

Loved Emil and the Detectives by German writer Erich Kästner. I have revisited it as an adult and loved the story all over again.

• lisacrisp 9th January 2021 at 2:43 pm

Reading The Magic Faraway Tree books with my grandson. Love them. Some updates e.g Children are shouted at as punishment not slapped anymore! I remember being frightened of Dame Slap as a child

• Hazel L 12th January 2021 at 9:43 am

I read the Wind in the Willows -given to me as a child and shut away in a drawer for many many years. It has snail bites on the cover slip from being left forgotten in my parents bungalow for so long. It is relaxing to read the things that were written in simpler times.

• rena22 12th January 2021 at 4:29 pm

I reread “The little women series” as I had lived these books as a youngster.

• Marica 12th January 2021 at 6:50 pm

Did anyone ever read the Set of Eloise Books? Eloise at the Plaza, Eloise in Paris etc. They were really special and I still have the set of 4.

• Deleted User 26th January 2021 at 2:47 pm

I love some of the books people here have mentioned but would like to put in a word for some more recent and contemporary children’s writers. There are some terrific children’s books out there – no need for too much re-reading. Eg. Miss Peregrines Home for Perculiar Children, Ransom Riggs; Charlotte’s Web (author escapes me right now); Hitler’s Canary, Sandi Toksvig.

• Tegan 26th January 2021 at 3:40 pm

The pony books by the Pullein Thompson sisters. I am still a pony fanatic

• Tegan 26th January 2021 at 4:00 pm

Started reading the Secret Garden – must finish sometime, obv didn’t hold my attention. I also read Black Beauty at the start of the pandemic

• NickyB 28th January 2021 at 8:29 pm

I recently borrowed my old childhood favourite from the library ‘Anne of Green Gables’. Now I’m older it was a very quick read. 😁

• marthablossom 28th January 2021 at 11:16 pm

Just finished Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne. Fairly easy read although some of the terminology was rather old colonial, was not deterred after all was written many years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed nevertheless and considering which one to read next time around.

• loislane 29th January 2021 at 1:24 am

The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Lorna Doone, I have the whole series of famous five, Black Beauty, Anne of Green Gables, I plan to read C.S Lewis, such wonderful memories of reading them all.
      I read 470 books last year and am on book 35 so far this January.

• Mudjoy 29th January 2021 at 7:50 pm

I am a huge fan of The Secret Garden and even treated myself to a beautifully illustrated version a couple of years ago. I read it again during lockdown number one. Wonderful book.

Add