Home Forums General Rather than just adding more taxes and tinkering w...

Paul of Southampton Posted 5 months ago
Rather than just adding more taxes and tinkering with the existing system, the whole system needs replacing and made simpler. What do you thinbk ?
13 replies
    • Mad Ralph 9th September 2021 at 9:03 am

Wow that’d be a mind bogglingly complexed and drawn out endeavour if brexit is anything to go by. 😵‍💫

• Daisychain 9th September 2021 at 9:14 am

I agree. Why hit the poorest in society? They have enough problems already. After 10 years of austerity there must be a better way. A package of taxation would have been better. Income tax bands extended and changed, increase in capital gains, increases for unearned income – a whole package so everyone contributes.
      All income for health, education and social services should be ring fenced so it can’t be spent on anything other than those items.
      From my observations since 1996 the private sector delivery in so many cases has lead to poorer service for the end user and reduced pay for staff. Please note that I include the Blair government in this.

The Irish system takes 25% of housing property post death for everyone. In Germany 36% of taxation goes on health. By contrast the UK takes 25% of tax. At least these are the figures I heard yesterday on the radio.

I wish government would govern, MPs would have the guts to vote against laws as constituency members, not as party members. The whole system is rigged and we do not have an operating democracy. Representative democracy indeed!!

• Paul of Southampton 9th September 2021 at 9:40 am

I was thinking along the line of less exemptions and standardisation. For example basic rate income tax, capital gains, dividend tax etc etc all one rate

• walkthewalk linuxmail 9th September 2021 at 12:17 pm

Convert Council Tax to Property Tax like USA and Canada. It’s a percentage (maybe 1%) of the value of the house …eg £100,000 property pays £1000 a year; £10,000,000 pays £100,000 a year. It’s a big incentive for downsizing. I heard of a builder in Canada with 3 daughters, he and his wife downsized 3 times as the daughters left home.

• LucasH 9th September 2021 at 9:44 am

Flat tax?

Spoken as though I know what flat tax actually means in practicality

• Chris S 5th December 2021 at 6:25 pm

Flat tax is a system of taxation whereby there is only a single rate of income tax payable, rather than a banded system such as we have in the UK. Some countries do actually have flat tax systems in place. The advantages are that with a single rate of income tax in place, which in most cases would be between the standard and higher rates paid in the UK, there is less incentive for wealthy individuals to evade/avoid taxes, the disadvantages are that low earners pay the same rate as higher ones, which may be considered unfair.

• Paul of Southampton 9th September 2021 at 9:48 am

Still keep tax bands and thresholds

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th September 2021 at 5:45 pm

I don’t mind paying a little extra as long as we all see the benefits but I don’t think we will as the whole system is badly managed .. from doctors surgery’s to hospitals and unless they increase the wage and conditions of the foot soldiers they won’t have staff to run it in years to come

• Pennypitstop 6th December 2021 at 4:36 pm

Everyone should pay the same, rich or poor a flat 10% of your earnings, and why do we pay VAT what is it for ???.

Add