Home Forums General Question for the men … If there were absolut...

Question for the men … If there were absolutely no women on earth for 24 hours – what would you do with that time ….

Gonna post similar question for the ladies!

4 likes & 77 replies
    • Anonymous User (no longer active) 6th March 2021 at 8:15 pm

This one is specifically for Andy Paddles who didn’t believe me when I said I had created a post for the men at the same time as the women!!! LOL

• Andy Paddles 7th March 2021 at 1:20 pm

Gill it wasn’t that I didn’t believe you (you have a very honest face, always assuming that is really you and not a picture brought to us courtesy of Google images 🤔- however my inner Brenda says 👍, so…)!

The issue was finding the post! Like with so many things (socks, keys, phones….) as a male I am of course always in need of a woman to point me in the right direction of the elusive object- sometimes in the direction of objects that I don’t even know I have a need to find, paintbrushes for example!).

Now that you have so helpfully pointed, I shall give the question due consideration!

But first I need to shoot out and grab a bit of shopping!

Keys ✅, phone ✅, wallet?

Has anybody seen my wallet? (if any of my real world friends are reading this they’ll no doubt be saying, “not for blooming years mate!”).

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 7th March 2021 at 1:26 pm

I have laughed and chuckled and giggled at that one. Soooo funny Andy. Yes ’tis me with an honest face (cos I am honest .. honestly)

The second paragraph is hilarious .. When you talk of finding things you didn’t even know you were supposed to find .. that seems to go hand in hand with it being a trick question and you may give the wrong answer. It must be to do with feeling you are in trouble before you have even done anything. We women appear to be very tricky creatures – its an interesting dynamic being revealed from this one post if I might say!

Shopping (heart sinks) .. but needs to be done!

• Andy Paddles 7th March 2021 at 1:31 pm

“Yes ’tis me with an honest face (cos I am honest .. honestly)”

Well you would say that wouldn’t you! 🤨

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 7th March 2021 at 1:32 pm

Well it is the third picture of me I have used to date, in order to provide a really up to date one, instead of one a few years old! However, I could have a stash of pictures of my alter eg .. maybe you have some of Brenda! lol

• loislane 7th March 2021 at 11:35 pm

You do have a way with words…you should have your own column

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 4:04 pm

I’d follow his blog! 😂

• Grenouille 7th March 2021 at 7:18 am

Well, it’s awfully quiet…. 🤣

• NeilP 7th March 2021 at 10:37 am

I can’t imagine a day without women

• Dreamyboy 7th March 2021 at 12:38 pm

I think we’re all worried it’s some sort of trick question……..!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 7th March 2021 at 1:09 pm

I am laughing .. I get that .. I can see where you are coming from .. the damned if you do and damned if you don’t… its tough work navigating the female mind and reactions … there is so much unspoken expectation that you have no idea what you have done if you get it wrong! Such a shame that we don’t communicate better!! I enjoyed your reply though, thank you…

• loislane 7th March 2021 at 11:37 pm

Lack of trust here, methinks

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 4:11 pm

I really do think we are difficult to read. Women understand women, but I think men find it a bit of a minefield sometimes. There is often the desire to do right, but they don’t know which is going to work in that moment. Of course I don’t think I’m like that 😂

• Colin in Kent 7th March 2021 at 3:25 pm

Well, my job would grind to a halt. My boss, the programme director, is a woman, her boss the Global Director, is a woman, her boss the CIO is a woman, the Global Head of Finance who signs off on our designs is a woman. The project is dual run by a Data Lead, who is a woman, and both the project managers are women, as is the Training Manager who is preparing the end users!

So, I’d take the day off, go for a walk and spend the rest of it with a good book, then a takeaway pizza and some good tv!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 7th March 2021 at 3:30 pm

Lol… that is so funny … what am amazing organisation you work for Colin!!! No misogyny on your part then! lol

• Colin in Kent 7th March 2021 at 5:51 pm

I think they do pretty well at practising what they preach, which considering we’re part of global corporation is no mean feat. Definitely no room for misogyny. And a very diverse team regarding nationalities – I think in our team of 25 alone we’ve got British, Indian, Chinese, Spanish, Greek, French, American, Arab and Nigerian, and ages range from mid twenties up through forties and even a couple of us oldsters in our late fifties. And everyone genuinely gets on, and not only does the job, but support each other as well. It’s a pretty forward thinking place. There are bad things about it – like most large organisations you have to wade through layers of bureaucracy to get the slightest thing done – but it is genuinely a model of how people should work together. One thing I also like about it is that the older members, in our forties and fifties, aren’t seen as being on the scrapheap but rather valued for our experience, and used as mentors for the younger team members and encouraged to knowledge and skill share to help people out.

Anyway, that doesn’t tell you what I’d do if women vanished for twenty-four hours. I suspect, since I never get to use the car, I’d go for a long drive!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 7th March 2021 at 6:13 pm

That is so interesting to hear about the organisation you work for and how its inclusive and not divisive. All these things come from the top – and much depends on whether the person at the top feels at all threatened by others, or maybe out of their depth. You put in a lot of extra hours I seem to remember you saying (or maybe it was someone else) – so an important cog in the business as well.

I am the oldest in my workplace the youngest being 19. We are a small team of 8 and it works really well. Each respecting the others knowledge – and I certainly don’t feel like I have another 10 years on the next one down in age!

I laughted at the long drive! I love a long drive .. but I ‘m not sure I’d want to do a 24hour rally! lol

• Colin in Kent 7th March 2021 at 6:29 pm

Yes, 24 hours is a bit much! I would drive to one of my favourite places, of which there are many, and see if I could find a good pub meal (obviously have to find one without a woman chef, or it would be closed).

Your workplace sounds great as well, I do prefer small teams I think, although at most of the places I’ve worked over the last fifteen years I’ve been in a team of one, so this is a nice change. I try not to work long hours, but sometimes it’s unavoidable. I’m far happier doing that when I’m working remotely – there’s no way I want to work into the evening then face a commute home!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 7th March 2021 at 7:32 pm

I’m with you re the working from home and not commuting. I have been told I won’t have to return to my 5 hour round trip commute, and can continue to work from home. I am overjoyed! So much easier…

lol to the place to eat with no female chef .. and I’m sure there will be plenty of guys to catch up with who are also womanless for 24hours!

• Colin in Kent 7th March 2021 at 8:19 pm

On the downside we are definitely not working from home permanently, but at least the old office has been sold and the new one is a shorter commute with no underground.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 7th March 2021 at 8:38 pm

Well that’s good news. What do you do if you don’t mind saying on this site?

• Colin in Kent 7th March 2021 at 9:02 pm

At the risk of sounding incredibly niche, I implement and manage a particular Danish ERP system (a system which integrates finance, time and expenses, procurement and invoicing etc into one) into advertising agencies. It’s something I fell into completely by accident when I was looking for work after retraining with some IT qualifications, and I went to work at an agency that was the first in the UK to take it. It’s so niche, in fact, that for half those twenty years I probably knew everyone in the UK who could do it, and could count them on the fingers of two hands. Even now, when I started this current job I found I’d worked with six of the team before at other places over the years.

When I look back now, I still shake my head at the utter fluke that saw me ending up doing it (and a certain amount of ‘stretching the truth’ on my cv).

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 6:48 am

Its amazing how we end up where we are, given the path we have trodden to that point.

I too worked in a software house having been a client too – another niche (although slightly larger it would seem) market: the world of barristers’ chambers. I was approached by them having been responsible for overseeing the installation of the same software for the chambers I was working at. So, I joined with the role of implementing, project managing, migrating data and training (so guessing similar to you) new client sites across England and Wales starting at the end of 1998 in advance of the millenium. At the time, there were only two products in the market and one was in a decline. Boy it was busy, I didn’t even have a desk of my own just the corner (literally) of someone’s table, and no one had time to train me – so I just had to come up with the questions, and work a lot of it out myself without calling on others to spend too much time with me. I did have a lot of experience in mainframe software development as systems analyst for Lloyd’s of London (not a programmer which I think you may be) for some years before finding myself working for Barristers to help my husband out!

So my path too has had its twists and turns, and the experience in previous jobs somehow finding their relevance in the next.

• Colin in Kent 8th March 2021 at 8:51 am

Gosh, it sounds VERY similar! Yes, I think in those early days it seems it tended to be more ad hoc rather than now when projects (and vacancies) are run much more formally. I agree that on most client sites I’ve worked it would be one person doing everything from design to data migration to training, but where I am now it’s just not practical since the organisation is so large – so for instance, we’re going live with 22 companies on Sunday, and there’s a design team (which is myself and two others) to do the config and build, a data team for the data migration, a project manager team, a training team. I’ve done programming, but only on the system’s own proprietorial languages, and on top of that report writing since the system’s own reports were traditionally pretty poor. It sounds like almost exactly the same situation as well – all advertising agencies in the UK used one system, which was universally loathed because of their pricing, so this was a challenge to break that monopoly. Because of the very arcane way actors’ fees for adverts are calculated based on repeats and BARB data (which was a secret methodology) this was very challenging. My first job and foot in the door was in fact systems analyst, so pretty much the same.

I bet your experiences were almost identical to mine, with one job leading to another, and people who got to know your work employing you elsewhere. It’s been a fascinating journey.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 3:35 pm

Very similar. I suppose the main difference was that I ended up get booked by clients a lot for consultancy and training. Then the company asked if I would set up a consultancy revenue stream. A friend said to me – why would you do it for someone else, why don’t you just set yourself up as a consultant. That was in 2005. Never looked back although caring responsibilities meant I had to do fewer and fewer hours. After a change of circumstances I started working for one London chambers a year ago and about to be employed as opposed to freelance. This career choice has been good for me. I’ll probably retire next year – but maybe I will change my mind. Who knows. I am not wedded to the decision anyway!

Great to swap notes. Interesting!!! Thanks Colin!

• Colin in Kent 8th March 2021 at 4:14 pm

I worked as a consultant in the late 2000s, but then got cold feet when the financial crash happened, and opted to go and work for someone else. When I moved to my current employer I was there as a freelancer for the first year, but then with the changing tax regs last April they got rid of all their contractors – offered us permanent contracts instead, again much like your own experience. So I’ve been ‘on payroll’ for the last year now. I don’t mind, at least it’s a bit more settled.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 4:17 pm

…. And then due to covid they deferred it for a year. Just as I was trying to sort it out I had a years grace. Hence going employed this year instead!

• Colin in Kent 8th March 2021 at 4:41 pm

That’s a stroke of luck! We weren’t offered the option, it was sign up or ship out. I think the company felt, given its size, and the fact they’d employed contractors for years, they’d immediately invite HMRC scrutiny so said they wanted everyone off contract by the end of Jan 19. As it was, I think I went in and signed my contract the day lockdown started in March.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 5:05 pm

That’s what many large firms did. In actual fact I only work for a small company but I just don’t want to take a chance and said I wanted to go on payroll.

• Colin in Kent 8th March 2021 at 5:19 pm

I think being able to sleep easy is by far and away the option to go for!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 5:34 pm

Certainly agree with that!

• Graham60 8th March 2021 at 9:35 am

As an ex merchant navy, ex military man, I have spent many a 24hrs out with the company of a woman.. Both as a single (single when at sea) and married (married whilst in the military) man. I am happy in my own skin, or equally in my married family life. It is interesting that out of the two posed questions, you got more response from the ladies… 🙂

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 3:05 pm

Dont be fooled. Have you read through it. It was mostly about one funny guy making us afternoon tea. 😂

• loislane 8th March 2021 at 3:47 pm

That was funny, I thought we were demanding tbh to the point of him asking where his chains were..hahaha

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 4:08 pm

Sooo funny!

• Graham60 10th March 2021 at 9:32 am

and don’t forget the scone.. 🙂 Isn’t life brilliantly diverse in everything we do. Some are happy being by themselves, others in partnership. Some have choice, some don’t. Some extremely happy, some extremely sad with their lot. I liked the question you posed Gill, and the various answers, although, a lot of swerving the question and answering in an indirect way. 🙂 I think that we all need someone in our lives, in whatever way that fits for them. It could be meeting someone for a quick chat, or a deep loving relationship, and all the mix in between. It makes me smile to hear you mention ‘running through a field naked’ frequently. I think you have a desire to enjoy a bit of naturism Gill.. Go for it, enjoy, cast off those clothes and ..ruun! 🙂 If someone sees you, who cares. I used to as a kid. I was born and brought up in the country, where I was regularly in and around the rivers, swimming in the buff. Would I do it now? not sure, opportunity hasn’t presented. From the stream, there is a deep fear of those who are predatory. It is a sad situation we live, one which has been around I fear since millennia. We have come a long way since then I believe, but still a lot to achieve. I trained and qualified as a person centred counsellor when leaving the forces. I have sat and listened to experiences that, frankly, made me ashamed to be a member of the male species. Truly tragic! But I must add that, it is not just a male trait. Anyway, that was a bit deep, lets get back to being naked.. far more fun!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 You need to watch out for that long grass.. can be a bit sharp!! 🙁 Onwards. Like dudesmith001, I also find it strange to hear people thank me for my service. It was something I did through choice, and got paid for doing it.. So in many ways you have paid your thanks. 🙂 I take my hat off to all the laddies and ladies I served with, some truly inspiring individuals, equally, some not so! Like everything, there is a ‘yin and yang’ in all. I do miss the camaraderie and banter of military life. But, I thank you for your thanks.. Thank you. Well, I must go, as I can hear the whip being cracked! Steady.. keep it clean! 🙂 Just off to wash the dishes and tidy up the house a bit, plan and execute lunch and dinner, go shopping for said dinner.. veggie Korma coming up I guess. Might even let the hoover out the cupboard for a wee while.. mmmm. Stay safe everyone, in this crazy world we live in.. Oh, just had a thought, Now might be the time to do your running ‘free’ Gill, as not so many people are wandering around! 🙂 The deadline for everyone being released from lockdown is fast approaching! If the police stop you, you can just say you are doing some exercise! :-). It is a pleasure to meet you all.. Bye for now.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 10th March 2021 at 2:01 pm

Loved your reply Graham60. So much to take in, and so much to respond to! lol

My conclusion would be that unless you are contentedly living on your own and have been for some time, and have no interest at all in finding a ‘mate’, we will miss the guys being around in one way shape or form .. as you say bringing a bit of yin and yang to the world.

I was not the first to mention the naked thing. In truth I am probably way too self conscious to do it unless I really was certain there would be no-one around! lol. However as you quite rightly detect there is a little part of me that would like to be the person who feels free to run or walk through a field or go swimming
          naked .. just to experience the freedom that would give, and I suppose a sense of achievement. In truth though it is highly unlikely unless I can revert to my 30 year old body which of course is wholly unrealistic. Of course at that time, I didn’t see if for what it was .. so I wouldn’t have done it at that age either! lol

Predatory behaviour is absolutely not a male thing and I realise that. I think its sad that there are some people who maybe just don’t know how to form relationships without following old patterns of behaviour that have worked in the past, even although they are not appropriate. As I understand it, for some it is a sport – find a suitable prey and then just keep going for the kill!

So do you still do your counselling thing (not sure if that is what you would have referred to yourself as)?

I far prefer a mixed workforce, each bringing their own strengths to the table. it works very well so long as no-one feels threatened or in competition with another, and no bullying takes place, once you have a cohesive unit, its great.

Enjoy the hoovering, shopping, cooking and eating it! Thank you for continuing to comment on posts etc.

• dudesmith001 8th March 2021 at 12:41 pm

Its hard to imagine a world without Women in it. Its not one I’m sure I would enjoy very much even if it was just for 24 hours.
      I like Graham60 I am an ex Military/MOD man and have worked, lived, and laughed with some of the most amazing, talented, professional, women you could ever meet and I am now lucky enough to say the same in my current role in the civilian workplace.
      But to answer your question is quite challenging as I live on my own so I don’t have a partner living with me to share the time, talk, chores, holidays, TV remote control 😉 etc.
      I did wonder if that was maybe one reason for guys not answering your question?

• Deleted User 8th March 2021 at 3:14 pm

Exactly the same as I am doing now!

• AntrimPotter 8th March 2021 at 3:20 pm

Well Gill, 24 hours without women aaaaaah. No one to shout at me to get up and get some clothes on, no fighting over the remote, wall to wall football, no noisy Hoover’s or washing machines, no dishes rattling in the sink we could hear Piers without Suzanna butting in all the time with her opinion. Sounds like heaven!
      It’s a good job my Mrs isn’t on this site, she’d kill me hahaha
      That’s all a bit tongue in cheek because I’ve been furloughed for quite some time and the Commandant has almost domesticated me, let’s hope her next project isn’t having me neutered 😜😂🤣

• AntrimPotter 8th March 2021 at 3:55 pm

You girls don’t realise how hard us modern men work at house work, pinny is on, nothing else haha 😜😂🤣😅

• keithstewart 8th March 2021 at 4:15 pm

The same thing I do every day.

• keithstewart 8th March 2021 at 5:38 pm

Hi 🙂 it’s a my life would be the same. I would get on with my day in the same way. What would you do with your 24 hrs?

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 6:09 pm

Maybe go for a walk in the evening, and not worry about lack of street lighting – or down by the sea front which is quite black on a moonless night. I don’t think it would change my life hugely – although half my work team wouldn’t be there so that would be pretty hectic!!

• keithstewart 8th March 2021 at 7:24 pm

That sounds great. The walk and time out. There’s few street lights here so there are some lovely views of the stars or moon. Leave the work until tomorrow. There would be much less on that day too.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 7:45 pm

I lovely a starry sky and to be able to see it without light pollution. Actually that reminds me that last summer when the nights are so hot I came very close to sleeping outside one night in the back garden. Gonna do it this year I think!

• keithstewart 8th March 2021 at 9:51 pm

Yes to sleeping out. That sounds like a wonderful night. The clocks will change soon. Those long bright nights are ahead.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th March 2021 at 6:44 am

It will be a first when I do – but I love the idea …. and I’m only in my back garden! Next step camping I reckon!

• keithstewart 9th March 2021 at 12:54 pm

It is good start. And one day further afield? There are bivouacing bags etc for sleeping out. A small gas stove for tea or a fry up in the morning? Also you could wake up for sunrise too.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th March 2021 at 1:10 pm

Oh I would love the idea of waking up to a sunrise. I have never tested my resolve for the outdoor life -only camped once and loved it but that was in Italy and not exactly the cold and damp. I have no idea whether the creature comforts of my fortunate adult life over the years would mean I am too precious to rough it! Hmmm I’d like to test it out but nothing too extreme lol

• keithstewart 9th March 2021 at 1:49 pm

Agreed. I used to camp etc but now comfort wins. I think doing it with a few others would be nice. Maybe at a camp site where you have cover if needed. And also space for a camp fire. That generates warmth and light.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th March 2021 at 6:30 pm

I agree.. that takes me back to my teenage years around campfire in the woods singing – there is a camaraderie associated with campfires and not as spooky to be with others when there are the strange sounds of nature around you ! lol

• keithstewart 10th March 2021 at 6:11 pm

Send us pics etc when you do it. Thanks for the post and chat again. Keith

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 10th March 2021 at 6:20 pm

Thank you for the chat !!

• Andy Paddles 8th March 2021 at 6:52 pm

Well at the risk of being serious (Oh! Where will it end?)…

I think I would simply bide my time! As pretty much all the significant positive relationships in my life currently are with women – even the dog!

Don’t get me wrong, my time would be very happily bided with the 3 B’s – boats, beer and burgers! And with no one at home to consider probably a tent as well! 🙄

What is a little bit sad about this thread is that apart from our usual more pub time wise cracks the chaps haven’t really identified anything that women restrict them from doing (women en mass that is, the impact of individual women upon specific men may be a different issue altogether 🤨).

Women on the other hand have identified things that would make their world a better place without the presence of the male (no not a nicely closed loo seat!) – in particular around freedom of movement, particularly after dark!

Blimey what a world we men are creating! 😔

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 8:03 pm

I have noticed that too – that men aren’t rushing to be free if women for 24 hours, and of course it was quite a challenging question for both sexes. Overall I think there is a general feeling that we need both around us – even if it’s just in the street, shops, or a neighbour.

It has to be said that women’s’ fear for safety after dark is not entirely rational, unless you live in a very built up area in which instance both sexes are at risk walking the streets late at night.

It is a fear that may have been instilled in us from a young age. When I was a teenager Jack the Ripper (as he was known originally – aka Yorkshire Ripper) was at large and rumours abounded about the location. Living in Kent there were rumours of attack in my neighbourhood. Talks were given at school. Because I was a sprinter, my mum didn’t restrict my walking home from youth club or from friends because, as she put it, I could outrun them which may well have been true. I didn’t have a dad either – so that made me more resilient. However I did used to run all the way home once I had unhooked with friends – and ran down the middle of the toad instead of on the footpath. It did instil a level of fear which has never quite been shaken off.

It is very sad, I agree, but I for one would always be happy to walk down the road with a good guy to feel safe, and that is a real positive thought too. We know there are good people out there and we aren’t fearful of all men, and we would welcome hooking an arm to allay the fear.

I don’t think men have created the fear, I think parents may have created the fear : dads protecting their daughters, boyfriends seeing the girlfriends home after a date, it’s how we were all brought up isn’t it?

Maybe I will out a new question up : what would you miss in the other sex were not around.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th March 2021 at 8:13 pm

Also I don’t think we quite said it would be a better place, just that fir 24 hours we could go for a walk in the dark or walk naked across a field. We’d still be happy to have men around again :-). We would miss you all!

• Trampus 10th March 2021 at 9:08 pm

Oh, this is so easy. Ride my cruiser for 24 hours. All the way to Scotland and back, bliss. My missus won’t let me go on my own.

• Trampus 11th March 2021 at 8:16 am

Ha ha, reason she won’t let me go is just before Christmas i went to Horse Guards Parade and Brookwood Cemetry (before Lockdown). On my way back skidded on road drain cover and broke my ankle. Oh well,

• Deleted User 12th March 2021 at 8:08 am

Spoil myself for a change 😊

• Deleted User 12th March 2021 at 9:30 am

Talk to myself without interruption.

Add