Home Forums Gardening Pumpkins are looking promising! I’ve never g...

Stuart 3 months ago Gardening
Pumpkins are looking promising! I’ve never grown before. Any tips?
Attachments:
7 likes & 13 replies Share
    • higginson71 18th July 2021 at 10:20 am

To get decent fruits allow up to 4 fruits per plant and pinch off the growing tips of the plants

• Stuart 18th July 2021 at 10:29 am

Thanks! A bit like tomatoes then…. They are getting a bit unruly, so good to know I need to chop off the tops. It will help contain them, as well as improve the fruit yield I’m guessing.

• higginson71 18th July 2021 at 10:49 am

Also the fruits that you leave to ripen I have some black square if material to keep fruit of the soil another way that worked last year was upturned black waste bins or buckets rest fruit on top of them.

• Stuart 18th July 2021 at 10:55 am

oh interesting – does that help prevent the fruit from rotting at the bottom?

• Anonymous User 18th July 2021 at 5:33 pm

Lots of watering!

• Bluerose 19th July 2021 at 3:45 pm

Hi. I did butternut and pumpkins this year. I have nothing to show for my labours. Well done. Wish I was up the road from you. I would be visiting

• Stuart 22nd July 2021 at 9:22 pm

haha – they’re still going strong but have completely taken over the veg patch. I now have no other vegetables left as they have been swamped by the pumpkins! Good learnings for next year to space them out MUCH more,,,,,

• Glyn Colman 19th July 2021 at 6:39 pm

Keep it well fed and watered. While it is still small put something under the pumpkin to keep it off the ground to avoid slug damage.

• Stuart 22nd July 2021 at 9:23 pm

Thanks for the tip! Will lift them up tonight to keep them safe……. I found a slug on one of my tomato’s the other day – shocked me a bit as I had never seen it before and I didn’t think they liked tomatos!?!?!?

• Glyn Colman 23rd July 2021 at 6:38 pm

Tomatoes are members of the potato family. Slugs love potatoes and can ruin a crop. With this heat, slugs have to stay moist and tomatoes are watered daily.
      Slugs may not be that keen on them but if you get a fruit fall the first damage will be slugs & snails.

• Stuart 25th July 2021 at 8:22 pm

So true – whilst I knew that Tomatoes were related to Potatoes, I did not know that slugs would go after them! As you say, it must have been the hot weather and watering that drove them to it. Thanks so much!

Add