Home Forums General Probably been done before but have you ever met an...

Linpap Posted 3 months ago
Probably been done before but have you ever met anyone famous? My claim to fame is

I rode in the lift in Liberty London with Aljaz professional dancer on Strictly just him and me we had a little chat about Strictly and why he wasn’t going to see his family at Christmas (it was December) he was charming and sparkly eyed just as he seems on TV of course I should have asked him to teach me the tango sure I would have mastered it by the time we reached the third floor…and my daughter couldn’t believe I didn’t get a selfie!!

10 likes & 39 replies
    • MikeyG 16th October 2021 at 10:03 pm

I met Sue Pollard a few years ago when I was photographing a charity show, and if you remember the TV show Metal Micky? the guy in the glasses ( Ashley Knight) is my half brother., ive also met Joanna Lumley & Mike Reid.

• loislane 16th October 2021 at 10:30 pm

Brilliant, Roy hudd, Frank Carson,
      Commonwealth secretary of the 80s

• goldfish63 18th October 2021 at 5:02 pm

I love Roy Hudd 🙂 I met Cheryl Baker at a fishing exhibition and she is so tiny and under 5ft I guess, she looks bigger on TV, I also met Princess Anne at a garden exhibition and she is the nicest of the Royals 🙂 so many stories lol

• siandeve15 17th October 2021 at 12:07 am

As I was the official photographer for the Lowry Centre at Salford Quay in Manchester when the Queen came to officially open the center back in 2000.
      I got to shake hands with the Queen and Prince Philip
      Also at other separate occasions including Terry Waite, Mike Yarwood, Frank Carson.
      & several Coronation Street celebrities Inc Steve Mcdonald, Jack Duckworth,
      Betty Driver, Pat Phenix,
      Ken Barlow & several more.
      I was Matra’d of a function catering company for 15 years & just had the opportunity to chat to these people.
      I was also back of house manager at the Lowry when I got the gig to take pictures of the Queen at 5 feet away
      I also met & talked to real Hells Angels in Las Vegas
      & several A list Mps.
      Mat Busby, Denise Law,
      George Best several more big names of the day at the same time.
      I also got a lift home in Pat Crerand Jag from Old Trafford football ground.
      Lastly I got a wave from Donald Trump in Trump Towers in New York before he became president of America.
      Bit of a story how I did this maybe some other time.
      There all just people the same as you & me.
      I’ve got a picture of the Queen with me if you’d like to see it.

• Colin in Kent 17th October 2021 at 12:20 am

Nick Mason, Clive James, Terry Pratchett, Iain Banks, Jeremy Beadle, Richard E. Grant, Tom Baker, James Herbert, Adam Nevill, Charlton Heston, various others whose names escape me.

• Linpap 17th October 2021 at 5:41 am

I wonder how you came to meet them? I took Clive James breakfast in bed… Well he was sitting at a table in his dressing gown to be really accurate

• Colin in Kent 17th October 2021 at 8:20 am

I was a bookshop manager in the 90s so some were signings that we hosted, some were book launches and some were industry events. Adam Nevill is slightly different – I have a friend who ran an independent publisher and put on a small sf and horror convention in Birmingham in 2014. He took the authors out to dinner the night before and Adam ended up chatting to myself and my daughter in the pub and we’ve stayed in touch since then.

What was Clive James like? Was it somewhere he was staying?

• Linpap 17th October 2021 at 8:43 am

He was nice with that very recognisable smile yes he was staying in the hotel where I worked we didn’t exactly have a conversation just where would you like your tray? Here would be good thank you …

• Colin in Kent 17th October 2021 at 1:16 pm

At least he was polite and considerate. Plenty of famous people aren’t, especially once away from the public face.

• Eighties Girl 17th October 2021 at 10:23 am

Caroline Aherne was in my year at school.
      I met Dave Gahan (depeche Mode)at a club in Manchester and while he went to the bar to buy me a drink , I ran off and jumped in a taxi and went home😂😂

• Deleted User 17th October 2021 at 10:35 am

Sir Patrick Stewart. I was so thrilled and so nervous that I squeaked at him before I could remember how to talk 😁 He was lovely about it and we chatted for several minutes. It took me days to come down from Cloud 9 after meeting him.

• gordloch 17th October 2021 at 10:37 am

I’ve met the actor Tom Conti and the late great singer Jim Diamond. Also met a few MP’s and a Lord. And been to 10 and 11 Downing st

• robspursfan 17th October 2021 at 1:26 pm

I met Dennis Wise and Gustavo Poyet before refereeing a Swindon Town U16 game.

• Angieb4579 17th October 2021 at 3:17 pm

Met Jimmy White the snooker player many years ago. Also, Eric Bristow and Jamie Harvey (Darts players) played in a Charity Pool tournament I ran in 1994.

• ShirleyB 17th October 2021 at 4:42 pm

Richard Bransons Mum and Dad – George Harrisons Mum and Dad – Simon Weston (amazing guy!) – Went out with Maynard Williams ( Actor – son of Bill Maynard)

• reliquit 18th October 2021 at 4:31 pm

I once met Simon Weston in Cardiff’s main shopping street and I stopped to shake his hand. He told me (not complaining, just saying) that it had taken him nearly an hour to walk from the Castle (which should have been 5 minutes) because so many people stopped to speak to him. As I left him I saw someone else approach him – I doubt if he ever made it as far as Churchill Way! As you say, a truly amazing man.

• goldfish63 17th October 2021 at 9:46 pm

Met a few in my time, Kim Wilde, Lena Zaveroni, Cheryl Baker, lots of Eastenders actors, Dale Winton, Sisqo, Madness, Paul Weller, lots of fishing stars, Amy Winehouse and many more, I worked in a hotel for a while and then at rock concerts and had back stage passes, the most genuine and nicest person I met funny enough was Billy Bragg 🙂

• loislane 18th October 2021 at 4:50 pm

Amazing

• goldfish63 18th October 2021 at 4:57 pm

Thanks but I am not that impressed with the rich and famous, I prefer down to earth people with values, I do have an interesting story about Adam Woodyatt, I met someone who knew him and had quite a story about him that I could not go in to on here and said he was a real plonker, well I met him a few years later and he is just that! actually I have many stories about some rich and famous people, Lena Zavaroni, Chris Akabusi and the Scottish comedian Stanley Baxter, I should write a book lol 🙂

• loislane 18th October 2021 at 5:25 pm

I think that so many of you get to meet many people in the limelight. But yes I can agree with you that real heroes get pushed to one side in favour of some idiots especially reality TV not stars.
          You should definitely write a book.
          I can’t stand Adam Woodyatt in EastEnders, and now I hear he was just playing himself…😂

• goldfish63 18th October 2021 at 7:08 pm

I met him at a balloon festival and he is just like his character, a weasel lol, no I have met the people and spoke to them not just in the limelight and as I said the only one I was impressed with was Billy Bragg, such a nice and honest guy, he was very down to earth and unassuming !

• goldfish63 18th October 2021 at 7:19 pm

Billy Bragg

• hell.fenn 18th October 2021 at 10:15 am

Wow loads of women would be very jealous.

• hell.fenn 18th October 2021 at 10:17 am

Above comment was meant for comment about meeting Alijaz.

• Linpap 18th October 2021 at 10:20 am

I know and he didn’t disappoint 😉 maybe a bit shorter than he looks on TV but real twinkle in his eye and very chatty and friendly

• Keith D 18th October 2021 at 10:55 am

Morecambe and wise, charlie williams

• reliquit 18th October 2021 at 4:42 pm

My work brought me into contact with a lot of politicians, and hobbies brought me into contact with many famous names in the entertainment industry. But the one person who sticks in my mind was Vincent Fournier (better known by his stage name: Alice Cooper). He was chatty and fun to talk to – very different from his stage persona!

• Nicola C M 18th October 2021 at 4:55 pm

Earlier this month I met Millie Bobby Brown while working as an extra on the set of Enola Holmes 2 in my home town of Hull. Does that count? 😁😆

• Linpap 18th October 2021 at 4:57 pm

Oh I think so!

• Sally Scarecrow 18th October 2021 at 10:28 pm

I met Rik Mayall and Ben Elton a good few years ago and more recently, Peter Andre. Such a nice, genuine guy.

• Dennis 18th October 2021 at 10:43 pm

I made a memorial for the Cockleshell heroes which was unveiled by Paddy Ashdown, he released a book on the same day. I also used to date the sister of Lorraine Stanley (Karen Taylor in eastenders)

• Linpap 18th October 2021 at 10:47 pm

What a lovely personal comment a book to treasure

• medusaman123 19th October 2021 at 6:44 pm

Nigel Mansel.. King Hussain of Jordan. May he RIP….. Chad Mcqueen.. Damon Hill.. Murray Walker.. Stirling Moss and his wife.. Barry Sheene… And many more involved with motor-racing Regards Mick….

Add