Home Forums Money Premium Bonds

• Premium Bonds

I was sad when they stopped selling bonds at the PO. I used to save my £2 until £100 and buy them for the grandchildren etc.

I wish they would make it easier for people who do like banking on line.

Posted by Julianna
    • Reply by Betsy

What happens to premium Bonds when someone dies? I’ve heard that they cannot be transferred to another owner ,i.e. a partner, do you know if that is true please?

• Reply by beichris

My mum passed away in June. She had a £5 bond and I was given the option of cashing it in then or keeping it in the draw until June 2021 when it will be re-paid. As far I know there was no option for transferring ownership of the bond. Would be lovely if it comes up before next June!

• Reply by mel

I found this on NS&I’s website on a page about support during a bereavement which might be useful: “If the NS&I savings you are claiming include Premium Bonds, you can continue the holding in the deceased’s name. Bonds will
        remain in each prize draw for up to 12 months after the date of the customer’s death. To keep the Bonds invested, you’ll need to send the Bonds to us
        along with the completed claim form. Bonds can’t be transferred
        into another person’s name but will be kept on record for 12
        months and prizes will be sent to the person who is entitled to
        the money. If the Bonds can’t be found at the time of the claim
        but are found at a later date, you’ll need to destroy them. At the end of 12 months, the value of the Bonds will be paid out to the person who is entitled
        to the money. You can apply for repayment at any time during this 12-month period. If you choose to have the value of the Bonds repaid immediately,
        the Bonds will be eligible for prize draws only for the calendar month in which the repayment takes place.”

• Reply by Nikkir

You can buy Premium Bonds online it’s really easy – but do you mean you don’t like banking online?

• Reply by Greenfingers

Very easy to do; I’ve been buying a few each month from what’s left in my pay pack. I’ve got the app to check prizes too for all the family.

• Reply by Anonymous User

I find it very easy to manage them online you can set up a standing order to buy a regular amount each month. With interest rates close to Zero you might as well put savings into bonds and at least have a chance of winning something. I normally get at least 1 x £25 prize a month, 11 in the last year.

• Reply by Chris S

I believe that you can also buy them by post and pay by cheque.

Add