Home Forums General Photographic ID for voting !!!

Pennypitstop Posted 4 months ago
Photographic ID for voting !!!

From next year you will need photographic ID if you want to vote in an election !!!

1 like & 23 replies
    • Cheers on toast 17th January 2022 at 10:48 pm

How is postal voting going to work then? I have just registered for it as I’m all over the place.

• Pennypitstop 17th January 2022 at 11:20 pm

Sorry I do not know, I just saw a news article about it, they passed it a couple of hours ago. 🙁 I don’t think it is fair as it will stop a lot of people from voting, if you haven’t got a passport or a driving licence you will have to buy ID card off the internet and there will be a lot who cannot afford to do this or haven’t got the internet at home to apply for it.

• Cheers on toast 17th January 2022 at 11:23 pm

That will be interesting as my mother doesn’t have any of those, it’s annoying when a delivery of mine from Amazon goes to her house and they demand proof of age. She is 85!

• Tambos57 18th January 2022 at 12:44 pm

Bloody hell, what is she ordering:)

• Tambos57 18th January 2022 at 12:47 pm

Driving license or passport are the norm for I’d but if this new ruling comes in, maybe the beginning of ID cards.

At some point in the future and with technology, it’s going to come.

To much fraud around this day and age unfortunately

• Daisychain 19th January 2022 at 12:10 pm

I read that voter fraud is minimal in the UK. Some states in the USA are following a policy of making it more difficult to vote that will impact most on their black and Hispanic communities. IMO it’s a way of making it more difficult for the poorest to vote. Much as I dislike the idea of ID cards as a society we should ensure that everyone has a means of proving their ID.

• Neil Hrd 21st January 2022 at 12:04 pm

You are right Daisychain and one of the hidden agendas here in the UK will be that not only do you have to show photo ID at the polling station but that the election officer has to see your face and match it to the photo. This will require Muslim women to remove their face coverings in the presence of a strange man which is against their religion and would often not be allowed by their husbands thus effectively disenfranchising them.

• Brummie Boy 17th January 2022 at 10:57 pm

Then there won’t be many votes cast, as people won’t be bothered!

• Cheers on toast 17th January 2022 at 11:27 pm

Cynical me would say that’s the idea. Prevent anyone of an age with common sense to vote, in election year cut tax on alcohol and ripped to shreds jeans and gain another term.

• Reverend Nick 18th January 2022 at 12:38 pm

At the polling station:

” . . . And here’s a photo of me in my Darth Vader hat.”

“Im sorry, Sir but we can’t accept that.”

“I find your lack of faith disturbing . . . “

• backofbeyond 18th January 2022 at 4:28 pm

Does my bus pass count?

• SelsdonLion 18th January 2022 at 5:07 pm

Found some Frequently Asked Questions on the Gov.UK site. Quite interesting.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/voter-identification-faqs

• Mad Ralph 19th January 2022 at 10:03 am

Is it even worth voting anymore? Serious question

• Pennypitstop 19th January 2022 at 11:44 am

Definately, …if a lot of people abstain from voting the ruling government of the time are straight away put at an advantage, even if you vote for a party that is highly unlikely to get in it stops Government getting high majority wins.
        When a government gets a majority they can basically do what they want. (althought the House of Lords can halt new laws that they deem are not right for our democracy).
        This Government got a large majority because we wanted to come out of the EU and many voted for Conservative that never would have normally so now they are making the most of that Majority (like a group of teens while mum and dad are away.).
        The best Goverment to have is a Coalition which is when 2 or more parties have a say in what goes on, this makes it more balanced, unfortunately this rarely happens and the last time it did it was the Conservative and Lib Dems and the the Lib Dems were far to weak to stand up to the Conservatives.
        So yes, your vote is very important, and even if you think it is a waste to vote for an outsider it can still stop a Government Majority.
        Hope this helps you to decide what to do 🙂

• Ems 19th January 2022 at 11:13 am

Is this true? Where did u get this from?

• Pennypitstop 19th January 2022 at 11:33 am

Definately, …if a lot of people abstain from voting the ruling government of the time are straight away put at an advantage, even if you vote for a party that is highly unlikely to get in it stops Government getting high majority wins.
      When a government gets a majority they can basically do what they want. (althought the House of Lords can halt new laws that they deem are not right for our democracy).
      This Government got a large majority because we wanted to come out of the EU and many voted for Conservative that never would have normally so now they are making the most of that Majority (like a group of teens while mum and dad are away.).
      The best Goverment to have is a Coalition which is when 2 or more parties have a say in what goes on, this makes it more balanced, unfortunately this rarely happens and the last time it did it was the Conservative and Lib Dems and the the Lib Dems were far to weak to stand up to the Conservatives.
      So yes, your vote is very important, and even if you think it is a waste to vote for an outsider it can still stop a Government Majority.
      Hope this helps you to decide what to do 🙂

• Brighton Belle 19th January 2022 at 11:41 am

Would bother by that time be anarchy the way it’s panning out …..

• Daisychain 19th January 2022 at 12:11 pm

It’s the best way to disenfranchise part of the population without doing anything and very cost effective 😡😡

• MalcolmC 19th January 2022 at 6:59 pm

Here are my thoughts (for what they are worth):

1) I think it is vital that all reasonable thinking vote because the extremists will certainly do so.
      2) The The Representation of the People (Equal Franchise) Act was only passed in 1928 – less than 100 years ago. Before then large parts of our country could not vote. We should cherish the fact we can vote in free and fair elections.
      3) Our Democracy is not perfect but it is better than most – just look at the sham elections around the World. That does not mean we should not be looking to make it fairer and more representative.

For the last few years I have been a Presiding Officer. I know from experience that forcing photo id will cause problems at polling stations. The area I run a polling station in is quite deprived and turnout is often low, additional requirements will just put people off and will result in even more people being disenfranchised than they already are. Also, how am I supposed to insist that someone removes a face mask or other face covering (many Moslem families in the are I work in so veils are common)?

At present the bill has only been passed by the Commons. It is now with the Lords so I think that we can expect to see some ‘ping pong’ about this for some time.

• Pennypitstop 19th January 2022 at 8:28 pm

I hope so Malcom, It is ridiculous anyway. We do not have a problem with voter fraud here, apparently there were 3 between 2014 and 2019 ! .

Add