Home Forums Money Pension payments

Add comment

  • Pension payments

    Does anyone know if you can claim tax relief when paying into a pension when you’re unemployed?


    Posted by mark.murphy
Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Reply by mark.murphy

      Thanks very much for the response and advice Helen. Much appreciated.

      Kind regards,


    • Reply by Helen Burns

      Hi Mark.

      The best place to find the correct answer to this would be the Pension Advisory Service. On their website they say: ‘If you don’t have any earnings (for example, if you don’t work) or earn less than £3,600 each year, you can make gross contributions of up to £3,600 each year to a personal pension, self-invested personal pension, or stakeholder pension receiving basic rate income tax relief at 20% on your contribution.’

      You can find out more at https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/saving-into-a-pension/pensions-and-tax/tax-relief-and-contributions.

      Best of luck



Viewing 1 reply thread