Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure Ok I’m just coming to the end of week 6 of Couch...

DHB Posted 2 years ago
Ok I’m just coming to the end of week 6 of Couch to 5k and for some reason I’m struggling .Does anyone have any tips on running, keeping focused and maintaining motivation? HELP!

5 likes & 12 replies
    • Stuart 18th October 2020 at 9:28 am

Great work!   I need to get back into running….   Used to do 3 x 10k runs per week but then fell out of the pattern years ago when the kids arrived.  Its on my must do list for November! I always found the mental clarity the best part of it!

Would love to hear others suggestions and if helpful, Rest Less have pulled together this guide to getting started running.

Keep up the progress, and you’ll smash through the week 6 plateau!

• DHB 18th October 2020 at 10:08 am

Morning Stuart, thanks for the link it looks really helpful.

3 x 10 k per week is good but I know what you mean when you have children- everything changes.

I’m just having a coffee now and debating with myself whether or not to go for a jog this morning.

Let know if you manage to re start and how it goes.

• dazliss 26th October 2020 at 9:51 am

As you are coming to the end of your original goal (5k) it is easy to lose focus. Maybe signing up for an event in the new year (fingers crossed) will held keep you focused.

Also finding a local running club or someone to talk with about running. I would normally suggest Parkrun as these bring a great sense of community but in the current climate there is none 🙁

• MarkBrom 27th June 2021 at 9:27 am

Just keep going. I did this in January and some weeks are tough. I kept it up and try to do 3x5k a week – sometimes I’m rubbish and sometimes just terrible 😀 but I enjoy it and always feel better after. Persevere.

• carolineblair.leo 27th June 2021 at 12:16 pm

I did a couch to 5k course two years ago and am still running. I try I to run twice a week. Sometimes with a friend, sometimes virtually, I like the strava challenges. Have a look. It’s free. Something about a medal or trophy in my online cupboard 😊

• Teddies1 27th June 2021 at 3:08 pm

Hi,do you run on your own,I run a lot and there is nothing worse if your struggling to run on your own,well done for getting out there,you have done the hardest part

• Terry75 27th June 2021 at 3:36 pm

I did a few marathons, a long time ago and spent many years in Prison Service Phys Ed Branch. Just get out there and enjoy. Put away the headphones if you use them and listen to the sounds around you, enjoy what you see while out running and let that be the motivation to get out. As your running fitness increases the motivation to run will be the same. Set a goal and train for it.

• Chi 27th June 2021 at 5:54 pm

I did the Couch to 10k last summer because my other main sports stopped. Having a good playlist, comfortable gear (especially shoes) and earphones helps. When I got to 5k (I repeated some weeks if I did not feel up to the next step), I almost stopped because I thought, “I’ve done it!” but I have kept it up even through winter. Sometimes, getting your shoes on and getting out of the door is the hardest part, so I remind myself how good I feel when I complete my run (both mentally and physically). I have since joined a local running group and this has helped tremendously because it becomes a social thing too. I now consider 10k to be a regular trot and try to do this2-3 times a week, fitting around work and kids.

Get out there and keep reminding yourself what good it does for you!

• Tranzed 29th June 2021 at 10:39 am

Well done for getting off the couch.
      What is it you are struggling with. E.g breath, motivation, muscles or anything else?

• Rowan 29th June 2021 at 3:30 pm

Ok I was not a runner , ha me calling myself that 🤣🤣till about three years ago , actually I found running via SW when I downsized! as the scale loses came I gained greater personally..and actually running gave me head space prior to my divorce when I was running I was at peace…like someone commented sign up for a race as an adult getting a medal made me feel like a child so after first medal felt like I had won gold…now I am very much my race/ run my pace actually for once proud of self….I hardly ever know where I am going just go where my feet take me to distance I need to run to on that day….whether the canal, the lanes, across the fields around local villages, …and as for Park Runs they are something else especially the ones with a nice cafe at the end….park run is a real tonic…and running is not racing or if it is it’s only your own race….in October hopefully I will run London to get my second marathon medal, it was the next logical step after a 10 k , last one virtual last year, the medals are for my children, a legacy …the message nothing is impossible…I’m actually really sad I get excited when the sat nav comes up 26.2 miles 🤣🤣oh how we should never say never…enjoy and please please post pic of a medal x…so do an event and let the rest follow….there are all sorts ones apparently where you get to drink gin or eat cake…my special one this year is the Great North with my daughter….think you can probably tell you have hit on my passion …now for work ! ….also maybe join one of the running Facebook groups …I’m on a lovely one and so much support etc…be proud of where you are now and go bit further 😉

• Rowan 29th June 2021 at 3:38 pm

So maybe first goal is to go to park run and time etc and whether walk etc is irrelevant just enjoy and atmosphere amazing

• Annoymice 3rd October 2021 at 9:34 am

Repeat week 5. I did couch to 5k and found there’s quite a jump in time at about this point. Also fix on a park run you’re going to do when you finish. I think some of the park runs, have people who organise beginners running classes which end with a graduation at the end – perhaps post and see if there is one in your area.

Add