Home Forums Science & Nature Now I am worried !

Pennypitstop Posted 2 months ago
Now I am worried !

I just read 10 Billion by Stephen Emmott. A short book, very easy to understand and a big awakening about the state of our planet.
EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS
Hopefully it is not too late 🙁

2 likes & 28 replies
    • Deleted User 17th October 2021 at 11:43 am

Hopefully not, but it does feel like we have taken a bit too much from the planet without giving much back in the last few centuries 😕😕

• Artemis 19th October 2021 at 4:17 pm

Do not despair there is still a lot we can do. Try to get the book Green & Prosperous Land by Dieter Helm from Bibliophile (while stocks last) https://www.bibliophilebooks.com/

• Deleted User 19th October 2021 at 4:30 pm

It’s all exaggerated the planet is in pretty good shape.

• Artemis 19th October 2021 at 6:13 pm

The bit near you may be, but there are vast swathes of our earth no longer able to support simple agriculture, with thousands at risk of, or already dying from, starvation. Thousands – or probably millions – worldwide are unable to access clean water. There are very few places anywhere which do not have air pollution which is killing many more. Those areas of forest which help our planet by providing both oxygen and rainfall are vanishing at a disastrous rate. Huge swathes of land have soil which is no longer healthy due to industrial monoculture. Rivers everywhere are polluted by toxic run off from factory farms and vast amounts of discarded plastic – killing fish and other life and spreading to our oceans. Hundreds of species are either extinct or on the brink of going so – upsetting the natural balance upon which all life on earth depends – including us. .This is a global catastrophe and needs a global response, yet those in power are more interested in short term gain. Corporations and big business are never going to change their ways until we vote with our wallets and force them to, they have their shareholders to keep happy.

• Staying Alive 20th October 2021 at 10:52 am

Are planet sad 😔 and true humans are the biggest predators of this planet

• lindsay 20th October 2021 at 9:00 am

Sorry but that is just delusional!!

• Pennypitstop 19th October 2021 at 9:05 pm

Just ordered Artemis, thanks for the reccomendation 🙂

• Colin in Kent 19th October 2021 at 5:10 pm

I completely agree. The documentary is available to watch on youtube (linked below). It’s terrifying but, to be honest, I believe it’s already too late, and there’s too little willpower from corporations and Gov’ts to stop it. Even from the sort of ‘everything’s fine!’ attitudes seen here. Consumption is destroying us, yet it’s essential to Global Capitalism. A country’s wellbeing is measured in terms of its economic growth, yet the economic growth can only come at the cost of the planet.

This was all outlined in the 1972 study ‘The Limits to Growth’, which analysed the effects of exponential economic and population growth on a closed system with finite resources (ie, Earth). It concluded in somewhat academic terms “the most probable result will be a rather sudden and uncontrollable decline in both population and industrial capacity” – ie a complete societal collapse and the breakdown of Global civilisation. It posited that without immediate and long term action this would be inevitable, a process that would begin around 2020 and reach a tipping point in 2040, at which point sudden collapse would occur.

As wikipedia puts it “subsequent work to validate its forecasts continue to confirm that insufficient changes have been made since 1972 to significantly alter their nature. ”

A study was undertaken last year and published by Yale in which the 1972 model was revisited using another fifty years worth of data. It showed that the model was essential correct, and that if a ‘business as usual’ stance continued without changes to our way of life, and changes to the consumption of resources are not dramatically halted, “economic growth will peak and then rapidly decline by around 2040”, leading to catastrophic population collapse.

No wonder Musk and his billionaire chums are looking for ways to get to Mars.

• Shirlann 20th October 2021 at 8:06 am

Everything comes to a end at some point 🤔

• Artemis 20th October 2021 at 4:53 pm

And so will we – but that is no reason we should do our utmost to accelerate the process.

• lindsay 21st October 2021 at 9:00 am

And we shouldn’t take all species with us! We are trashing everyone’s home and the developed world is the worst!! Even now fossil fuel companies are trying to resist being restrained!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 20th October 2021 at 10:15 am

Am I the only person who was educated about the ice ages, and the thaws while at school? The planet has undergone tremendous climatic changes over its history. Nothing stays the same.

• Pennypitstop 20th October 2021 at 10:33 am

I remember being told in the 1960s that we were going back to an ice age, but I think the worry is that these changes and extreme weather events have happened so quickly. Seasons have noticeably changed in my lifetime and these things usually take thousands or even millions of years to happen. Sometimes I wonder if we are truly causing it, but then I think all this lowering carbon is good because it gets rid of the pollution we are breathing in. Or maybe mother nature is in a hurry this time 🙂

• Shirlann 20th October 2021 at 10:47 am

Or maybe it’s nothing to do with nature and there’s nothing that can stop the end 🤔🙃

• Deleted User 20th October 2021 at 12:52 pm

These things don’t take millions of years at all.

The Sahara desert bigger than the US was lush green and tropical with a mass of vegetation and wildlife with huge life filled rivers around five thousand years ago. There was a massive climatic change that reduced it to desert very quickly.

Scientists can’t agree what happened or why but it’s looking like there was a massive drop in temperature that stopped all rainfall but whatever it was it wasn’t me.

We’re told almost none stop that the ice on Greenland is melting away at record levels.

The reality as explained by NASA is that the main glacier has grown over the last four years as the northern hemispheres climate has cooled so much.

Grown in height by a hundred feet a year for the last four years.

Grown out into the sea so rapidly as to have built massive sea ice walls that ships can’t get past.

Here from that well known conspiracy group NASA… https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145185/major-greenland-glacier-is-growing

Why don’t the BBC The Guardian etc carry these stories why in fact do they do everything to convince you of the opposite?

• Artemis 20th October 2021 at 4:52 pm

All those precious changes took hundred or even thousands of years. What we have now is happening in one lifetime – absolutely no time to adapt.

• Deleted User 20th October 2021 at 1:04 pm

Rising sea levels?
      You go and Google Nantucket island… Martha’s vineyard out in the Atlantic… just so I don’t get accused of bias and I’ll tell you what I found about the Indian ocean.

An island called Diego Garcia stolen by the British and leased to the yanks stands on average three feet above sea level.
      The Yanks have invested billions and the place has stores of foods medicines bombs bullets rockets missiles you name it for submarines war ships war planes troops etc etc.
      Also has industrial sized fuel tanks… on the beach… to refuel all these craft.
      Has a permanent manpower of around seven thousand people.
      Has a high teach space telescope and high tech global communications site.
      Are they getting the hell out of there because of rising seas or maybe build sea defences?
      No.
      You’d think the American government and the Pentagon would know all about sea level rise no?
      Here are some pictures of Diego Garcia note the runway note the fuel tanks on the beach and think what you’d be doing if the reports you were hearing and believing had any substance to them…
      https://www.google.com/search?q=garcia+island&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB913GB913&sxsrf=AOaemvJxxzTj9yxVZI5pq2x0eLI6ulehTA:1634730896825&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwi94aGT99jzAhX4SPEDHdfmBtUQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1745&bih=881&dpr=1.1

• Deleted User 20th October 2021 at 1:06 pm

People genuinely worried so why aren’t The Pentagon?

• Deleted User 20th October 2021 at 2:50 pm

Climate of ignorance
      As carbon dioxide levels have risen, the planet’s green vegetation has increased by 14 per cent

Back in 1908 Svante Arrhenius, a Nobel laureate and the father of the greenhouse theory, predicted something like this would happen. ‘By the influence of the increasing percentage of carbonic acid in the atmosphere, we may hope to enjoy ages with more equable and better climates,’ he wrote. The earth, he predicted, ‘will bring forth much more abundant crops than at present, for the benefit of rapidly propagating mankind’. This has proved to be the case. Environmentally, this is perhaps the best news you’ve
      never heard about.
      https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/climate-of-ignorance

You have been taught t think of CO2 as a pollutant when it is a necessity for life on this planet.
      No CO2 or to low a CO2 and we get no photosynthesis.
      The CO2 levels on this planet have been as high as 2000 ppm and the whole earth was a steaming jungle full of life.
      Would have been far to uncomfortable for us at those levels!
      In the medieval warm period the Danes started farming on Greenland but withing 300 years they were driven off by the return of the ice cold weather.
      2000 ears ago the Romans were growing grapes along Hadrian’s wall and the terraces can still be visited today.
      Back in the medieval period it was around a degree C higher than now…. what caused it?
      In the Roman period it was around 2C above today.
      What caused it?
      After the medieval warm period it started to cool across the northern hemisphere culminating in the little ice age in Britain where the Thames froze every year and that lasted from 1300 to around1860.
      What caused these fluctuations in weather/climate?
      The sun the moon the earths wobble the positions of Jupiter and Saturn and more is what caused it.

• Artemis 20th October 2021 at 4:47 pm

Lets forget the Co2 for a minute, because nothing is going to change the minds of those who think it is a GOOD THING. (you might do some research on methane however)
      Let us look instead at how much of our earth we are destroying to satisfy our greed. We are the only species that is destroying its own life support system. More and more of our earth has become desert, fewer and fewer trees remain to provide us with oxygen and regulate rainfall.. Less and less of our water is unpolluted. The biodiversity which helps to stabilise life on earth is hugely depleted. Our trash is everywhere, killing all kinds of life. Our babies are born with toxins already in their blood, Every year “overshoot day” occurs earlier and earlier. Oh what a wonderful world we have created

• Pennypitstop 20th October 2021 at 6:38 pm

You are correct Artemis, our consumption of everything is extortionate, how much food we eat, how many clothes we buy, howmany trinkets and furniture items we buy for our homes, howmany electric gadgets we buy, how many new mobile phones we buy. So many things we buy are not necessary and are bought on a whim. I do think a lot of consumption is because so many are unfullfilled and are looking for the magic solution to make them happy. also advertising is a powerful thing, especially for the young. Also we are not that much affected by things in the UK and it is not personal to us when we see Bangladesh flooded etc.
      Some of us will make do and mend etc but the majority won’t and as long as we keep buying and buying and buying the earths resources will keep being depleted.The western world is greedy, shallow and selfish and the poorer countries are fast catching up ie China and they will become the same as the West in their consumption and who are we to tell them they can’t.
      It will reach true disaster status before governments do anything, they live in the moment and are only bothered about their ego’s. The future is too far away for them to deal with they want to stay in power and please todays voters, when todays politicians have gone the next lot can blame them for all the mistakes and so it goes on.
      I have never heard of “overshoot day” till now but will look at that.

• Deleted User 20th October 2021 at 8:06 pm

Ahhh yes methane that perfectly normal gas made by nature.
      People like me burn logs for heat and hot water and release CO2 in the process.
      I keep seeing posts about planting a billion trees maybe a trillion but people like me won’t be allowed to burn the weather or aged damaged fallen ones.
      What happens to trees that are burned?
      They produce CO2.
      What happens if they are left to rot on the ground?
      They produce methane.
      Imagine planting a trillion trees and waiting for the methane apocalypse!!!!!
      The rain forests are not the lungs of the earth.
      Funny but the more CO2 means more greenery and therefore more oxygen.
      It’s a fantastic balance.
      The more people and animals the more oxygen gets produced!

Add