Home Forums General Not sure I would but what does everyone here feel...

Marica Posted 1 year ago
Not sure I would but what does everyone here feel about it

I know a few of you have campervans so this would suit you but whether you have or nor, I reckon we have all felt like this at some point in our lives. Much depends on family and friends nearby as to whether anyone would leave but there may be many good reasons for doing so …. a new start? And where does age come into this too? Would love to hear your opinions

38 likes & 84 replies
    • LeighS 5th April 2021 at 10:44 pm

Yes, but not in a camper 🙂 Spent far too many camping holidays in a camper van when I was growing up!!

I don’t know if I would go abroad again. I have spent time in 3 different countries, New Zealand, Canada and the USA for a total of close to 17 years if you add up the time I spent in each country.

Maybe somewhere in this country. Less city more rural or small town. I am not a city girl and currently live in a city. The only good thing about it, is that my younger son is able to attend one of the local universities and is able to live at home. However, he won’t be living with me forever so maybe sometime in the near future I can look to move away from the city, just not sure where yet.

• Marica 6th April 2021 at 2:43 pm

I bet the experience of those other countries was amazing, Leigh. I have never been to any of them though sometimes when you live there, it can be easy to take the places for granted

• hell.fenn 6th April 2021 at 9:35 pm

Prior to Covid I had made the decision to rent out my home and go and live in Bournemouth for a year as had my husband lived this is what we had planned to do. Covid, in particular the second lockdown, has made me realise I cannot do it because I did not ike the isolation. I am disappointed. When I made the decision to go it was because I was feeling stronger but experiencing isolation due to Covid I do not want to risk placing myself in similar circumstances again. Unfortunately most of the friends and family I see talk the talk but don’t walk the walk – they would say “we’ll come to see you” etc. I have to accept their traits and some of them are really lovely people but when you are feeling isolated being let down makes it even harder. I will reevaluate, possibly I will go but for less time.

• Marica 6th April 2021 at 9:48 pm

It is odd. People are less inclined to travel sometimes although there are more ways to travel . But I think the pace of life on one’s own doorstep tend to leech time and then people feel they are trying to catch up with things locally and rarely get time to travel further . Once things progress to an easier way of living, Hell Fenn , you may be able to evaluate what you want to do

• hell.fenn 6th April 2021 at 10:15 pm

Definitely Marcia. I will.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th April 2021 at 12:00 am

At the moment my response is ‘Can I come too?’

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th April 2021 at 9:59 am

Presently seriously considering moving to Scotland – somewhere rural or by the coast or preferably both…that would be a complete fresh start!

• Marica 8th April 2021 at 2:51 pm

I know of 4 people who have all moved to Scotland in the last 6 weeks, it seems to be the place to go Most were fed up with UK life and it’s ways. No idea if it is better but everyone so far has reported how much happier they are

• JackieR 23rd May 2021 at 6:16 pm

We’d talked about it for a couple of years and made the move 10 weeks ago. Everyone’s so friendly (dogs are a great ice breaker) and we’re loving waking up and watching the waves. I’ve even got used to the 40 mile round-trip to a supermarket but need to work on my list writing!

• Alexandra 2013 22nd September 2021 at 6:01 pm

Love Scotland

• PeteQ60 8th April 2021 at 10:44 am

I feel its really important to understand why one may want to do that and ideally get an objective viewpoint from someone not emotionally connected. I say this because 20yrs ago I did that. Walked away from everything, religion, marriage, family and friends nice house and job. In hindsight now I see I was going through a personal crisis/breakdown but didn’t see that at the time. In reality the problem was not with any of the things I abandoned but with me. So rather than escaping the cause of my anxiety I was taking it with me. As has been mentioned in other comments here the challenge is to find ones inner peace and defeat ones demons in the present and once over oneself get on with being in the best place for growth.

• Strot62 19th May 2021 at 12:53 am

Amen.

• Deleted User 19th May 2021 at 6:52 am

Been doing that all my life. I just get up and go every time I got urge just to leave everything behind. Was not only towns and cities it was countries!

Doesn’t seem to make any difference to be honest.

Cheers
      David
      Clinging on to past and living is like driving forward while watching the rear view mirror…

• VFP 19th May 2021 at 7:37 am

Interesting, I have lived in three countries and was preparing for a temporary move to a fourth when I met my late husband. We were also considering moving to France at one point, but instead came to live in beautiful Derbyshire. I would never consider living in another country now. I guess I finally found my home.

• Deleted User 19th May 2021 at 7:42 am

Not to get away from anywhere or anyone but my dream is to retire to the coast. It was originally to retire overseas but Brexit crushed that one. It wouldn’t bother me moving away as I would always stay in touch with family and friends. I like the idea of starting afresh.

• Shirlann 19th May 2021 at 10:06 am

My daily daydream lately 🤔🙃

• AdrianSF 19th May 2021 at 5:42 pm

I tried this in 2003, I was living in Germany and my world was collapsing around my ears and then suddenly, I pack a bag and went to Düsseldorf and caught a plane the next day to the USA. The rest is a long and tearjerker for me.

• Robin500 20th May 2021 at 5:49 pm

Sometimes I think it would be a nice idea!

• Deleted User 20th May 2021 at 6:50 pm

I don’t think I could travel alone, my sense of direction is so bad, I could end up anywhere! 🤣 I read a story once about a girl who decided to do just that, she had had enough of everyone and everything, decided to pack a bag and go and do some sightseeing/ travelling on her own. She went to some beautiful places in the middle of nowhere, nobody around ( or so she thought) when she eventually got home, she decided to develop all of her photos, what she saw made her blood run cold. Somebody had taken pictures on her camera, of her asleep in her tent 😳 scary stuff! Think it’s put me off a little!

• Sandyg 21st May 2021 at 9:35 pm

Try Northern Ireland, I recently drove the entire coastlibe- The “Coastal Causeway Route” was so Fab.. and so easy, just keep the sea on your right or left, depending on your start point ! and no language barrier .

• Deleted User 21st May 2021 at 9:48 pm

Sounds lovely, would love to go to Ireland x

• Sandyg 23rd May 2021 at 4:58 pm

desperate to get back there, but its being very strict about not ending covid restrictions, still no non essential travel in or out allowed, and its 14 days strict quarantine for anyone who does arrive there .

• Sandyg 23rd May 2021 at 4:57 pm

I really wouldn’t be brave enough to camp out alone though, if not on an actual Camp Site

• Diamond Tim 20th May 2021 at 10:29 pm

That’s what I aim to do. Buy a Camper-van and travel around the uk one week every month regardz Tim

• Sandyg 21st May 2021 at 9:26 pm

Yes that’s what Iv just done though Iv come here to be closer to my adult children, who are now just half an hour away.
      But I don’t know a soul here.,exept from this site .
      I have travelled on my own though.

• Deleted User 21st May 2021 at 9:38 pm

Damn straight! 😏

• Hertskev 7th June 2021 at 7:39 am

I done this several times before 2000 when my daughter was born , one time went and lived abroad on my own for two years.

• Deleted User 7th June 2021 at 7:52 am

For me I think once I retire I’ll take a look at life and weigh up the options. Always thought I’d move to Anglesey to be by the coast, walks, slower/chilled pace to life.

Time will tell.

I don’t have the confidence to move abroad I know that.

• cari68 7th June 2021 at 11:53 am

I’d go in a heartbeat

• Mark123 22nd August 2021 at 9:10 pm

Yes frequently.

• HH 2021 22nd August 2021 at 9:22 pm

Quite often! Don’t think I’d have the courage to do it though! 🙄

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 22nd August 2021 at 10:14 pm

I have had to do it for my job a few times…..Zimbabwe, Malawi, Kenya, Philippines, Indonesia, Fiji, Australia….but I am not sure that counts

• Catwoman 23rd August 2021 at 12:44 am

I’d love to, if I had the resources

• richard4039 25th August 2021 at 5:58 pm

For me, it’s a must that I move from my home town. Not that I have done anyone harm. Too much to overcome if I stay where I am.

• Marica 25th August 2021 at 8:28 pm

It is not easy to uproot and change locations. If I needed to get away and had no ties, I would be more inclined. But as we get older, moving away from friends or any family can be tough going, I admire those that do

• Anna123 21st September 2021 at 1:56 pm

Yes I do. Would love to move to that beautiful island of Lanzarote. I love it there 💖💜♥️💙💚💛❤️🧡

• Dave the poet 1970 21st September 2021 at 1:57 pm

Oh yes I think about it a lot

• Deleted User 21st September 2021 at 2:02 pm

No campervan and not very far but very different.
      I left Manchester left friends and went to Anglesey.
      Very different than Manchester.
      I ended up with a small holding and raised chickens pigs goats geese ducks.
      Middle of nowhere in the heart of Welsh farming and Welsh speaking.
      I knew nothing of the land or animal husbandry.
      I was a bit of a novelty to the locals at first but they were so helpful.
      I couldn’t sleep for a couple of months because it was so utterly silent
      The slightest creek of a branch would startle me I heard wildlife.
      I grew to love the silence.
      I cold stand in a field and I would hear the flapping of wings approaching from behind then a sparrow shot by.
      I’m now heading for 70 and came back to the mainland and now live in a village in the hills.
      Quiet but not as quite as the island.
      Love the place and I now have Welsh speaking grandchildren. I could never live back in a city or town.

• MikeyG 21st September 2021 at 2:09 pm

I think about it every day, Prior to covid i was in a different country nearly every week with my work, but since Covid ive not really left the house as my company wont allow travel as yet, in a few weeks I am going to rent a campervan and take myself on a photography tour of western Scotland for a few days, I do love to travel

• Skunk007 21st September 2021 at 2:46 pm

I did it, myself and my two dogs to Malta in 2005 and now living on Gozo.

• Alexandra 2013 23rd September 2021 at 1:12 pm

My son has been to Dubai every year for 9 years but last year went on his own. Met a lot of people but when they asked what he does he said he was a top DJ in Dubai for a break as all the gigging was getting too much 🤣🤣🤣 he had a fabulous time

Add