Home Forums General Next Chapter

Add comment

• Next Chapter

Hi, I am a recently retired banking official based in Brentwood having worked in Investment Banking for 44 years. For the last 17 years of my career I have been responsible for senior positions within the Operational Risk Management and Enterprise Risk Management disciplines. I am now looking to transition into the next chapter in my life, which would still involve working but on a part time basis and as part of a team. Would love to hear if there are any opportunities out there.

Posted by garynichols247
Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Reply by garynichols247

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your insights and advice, this is most helpful and certainly gives me useful direction.

Regards Gary

• Reply by martin

Hi Gary

First: Good luck with your next steps.

A lot depends on whether you want to continue using the skills/knowledge that you’ve acquired.  Some charities might be interested in your background and strategic thinking skills etc.

And if you want to use this chance to work in a completely different environment and develop new skills and knowledge, that can also be very rewarding but in a different way.  When you’re new to a sector or profession, you’ll need to be adaptable and curious – it’s sometimes reported by people making the transition that it’s quite good fun to be the ‘rookie’.  It can sometimes be necessary to get some experience before taking your first paid role.  In which case a stint of volunteering would be a good way to get that.  Others find that it’s uncomfortable to start all over again!

Hope it all works out well for you

• Reply by garynichols247

Many thanks Susan, this is most helpful.

• Reply by susan

That’s great to hear, let us know what you decide on doing… always inspirational for everyone else!

• Reply by susan

Hi Gary

Wow, you’ve had an extremely high-powered career. I was wondering what kind of work you were thinking about trying to do on a part-time basis? A lot of experts move into consultancy of course which is included as an option on our list of Top 15 Part-Time Jobs for the over 50s but that doesn’t always include working in a team. Do have a look at the link (at end of text) and let us know if anything appeals to you or if you had other ideas. Best, Susan  https://restless.co.uk/career-advice/job-ideas/top-15-part-time-jobs-for-the-over-50s/

Viewing 3 reply threads