Home Forums Local Groups England Kent Newbie

J.A Posted 1 year ago

Hi All, My name is Jo Ann and I live near Bluewater in Kent. I am new here and I am hoping to make new friends. I enjoy crochet and knitting as my main hobby. I also enjoy walking my shitzu dog. I have just turned 60, and still young in nature and spirit, just with older bones

1 like & 10 replies
    • Ginny65 3rd January 2021 at 2:04 pm

Hi. I’m in Kent too but near to Sittingbourne. I learnt to crochet a few years back from a Canadian lady on YouTube and have made quite a few blankets etc since. I think in US terms and have to stop and think if I’m working on a UK pattern. I’ve knitted since I was a young girl and make lots of jumpers that I usually give away to family.

• J.A 3rd January 2021 at 4:39 pm

Hi Ginny65,

Lovely to hear from you. It must be good to be able to be near the sea and is how I envisage my retirement to be near the sea. You tube is a good place to learn as there is sooo many crochet videos to watch. The difference in the terms can be confusing at times. I find crochet to be a really relaxing hobby with the added bonus of creating an item that you can visually say that you made. I was going to do a craft fair last year but obviously that was not the case, so this year maybe I can do that. I crochet blankets, beanies, scarves, and my latest project is a cardigan.
        I can knit but I am trying to improve on my knitting skills.

• Ginny65 3rd January 2021 at 5:38 pm

Likewise I started to make a few things with a view to selling them earlier in the year and then C-19 hit. I knit the Scottish island way with long needles and I tuck the right one next my arm. Recently I tried to use circular needles and found it so difficult as I couldn’t ‘tuck‘. I then found some extendable cable needles from a company called hiyahiya. Made it so much easier and now I’m ok with larger projects in the round. I made a top down jumper recently.

• J.A 3rd January 2021 at 6:01 pm

That sounds really interesting Ginny. I guess we have our own unique way of knitting and crocheting. How long does it take you to complete a project such as a jumper?

• Ginny65 16th January 2021 at 8:13 am

If it’s a simple pattern and on larger needles then probably a week as I only knit in the evening. If it’s a complex pattern then longer.

• Dianailly 16th January 2021 at 10:11 am

Hello Jo Ann

Like you I too live near Bluewater. I retired at the end of 2018 and was just beginning to enjoy my new found freedom before being confined to quarters!
      I have got back into knitting (although nothing too taxing) and I’m now attempting some crocheting. It’s all trial and error but gives me a challenge.
      I walk around the perimeter of Bluewater several times a week so if you see me in my gold puffer jacket give me a wave 👋🏻

• J.A 21st January 2021 at 7:54 am

Hi Dianailly,

Yes Bluewater, such a long time since I was there 😀 You May already know about all of the knitting and crochet you tube videos. A bit community of fellow creators on there. I will look out for your gold jacket.

Jo Ann

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 10:59 am

Hi Jo Ann
      I’m down on the Kent coast in Whistable. Age is but a number but I am older than you lol .. just saying. Do you remember that as kids? ‘I’m older that yooo ooou!’ (said in a taunting way). I had one friend when I was 7 absolutely convinced she was older than me because she was taller than me… she wasn’t .. she was a whole 2 MONTHS younger than me!!! That is a significant difference!!

Lovely to meet you Jo Ann… Gill

• J.A 21st January 2021 at 7:50 am

Hi Gill B,

Wonderful to connect with you. (Gill are you sure that you are older than me?) ha ha , You are right age is but a number. Yes I do remember that I think more at secondary school we got into the ‘I’m older than you’ ‘ no your not, ‘ yes I am’ debate quite a few times. It was done as a laugh though as we were all friends. time goes by quickly. But really how old, tall, etc is irrelevant, as it’s more about the person you are! My retirement plans are to retire somewhere near the sea, as I always feel at peace hearing the sound of the waves, plus I have a dog and to me walking by the sea is much more healthier than walking round the built up streets.

Have a good day Gill,

Jo Ann

Add