Home Forums Pets & Animals New rescue dog.

Heidi Posted 2 months ago
New rescue dog.

Well, I’ve done it! She’s been here two weeks now and I think it’s going well.
Pros: she’s responsive and affectionate, quite peaceful when settled and uses her bed to retire to.
No stealing, jumping or chewing noticed yet
No soiling in the house, apart from first two nights
Now, she and the cat are in the same room!

Cons: a bit pulley on the lead
Very unsettled near other large dogs, hackles up and growling

I’m just persevering with basic training and enjoying her company.

Any advice on mixing with other dogs welcome!

10 likes & 18 replies
    • Mad Ralph 27th November 2021 at 1:13 pm

😃 This thread is useless without pictures 😉😉😉

• Heidi 27th November 2021 at 1:40 pm

Well Mad Ralph, I did add some but they obviously didn’t load,

• Mad Ralph 27th November 2021 at 2:43 pm

Ha ha love it, what a beautiful dog 🥰

Your doing a great thing Heidi, keep up the good work. 👏👏

I’m no expert but I think she’ll get better with time regarding the aggressive behaviour. If your comfortable around other dogs and stay calm I think it will rub off on her.

Do you have any idea where she came from or how old she is?

• Chanelcoco 27th November 2021 at 2:51 pm

Keep us posted on how she is doing?

• Forestbather 27th November 2021 at 3:10 pm

I have two rescue cats. I love my fluffy boys so much. So full of character and a bit mad. No idea why someone would want to breed an animal when there are so many gorgeous animals out there needing a good home and a bit of love.

• TmonT 27th November 2021 at 3:28 pm

Pic please ❤️

• Vervain 28th November 2021 at 8:28 am

She is lovely

• LawrieL 29th November 2021 at 7:40 pm

Beautiful dog. Seems you are doing really well as 2 weeks is no time at all for her to adjust to a new life with you – it wouldn’t surprise me if you start to see quite a different character emerge once she knows she’s safe and in her forever home. Re meeting other dogs – she’s growling (hackles raised) because she’s fearful and clearly too close to larger dogs for her to cope. I would suggest keeping a safe distance for now, letting her observe them, but not expecting her to interact or putting her in a position where she feels she may have to defend herself. As her confidence grows you will GRADUALLY be able close the gap. You may begin to recognise it’s just certain breeds or colours that give her concern, which makes things easier to work on. I often had to do a little dance, a kind of waltz, when on the park with my fearful dog, turning around if one was approaching, or moving left or right to create a big enough gap to keep her in her “comfort zone” – no jerking, just soft movements this way and that. I would keep a watchful eye for any changes in her body language and take action before her fear rises. She quickly learned I was “listening” to her and her trust in me grew, as did the bond we share. By allowing them space and plenty of time to “observe” I find they work things out for themselves. As Mad Ralph said, it’s important for you to stay calm, stress travels down the lead which your dog will pick up on. Don’t avoid dogs, this won’t help, just always be aware of her “comfort zone”. You have a precious soul in your care and by using force free methods, you will be rewarded 10 fold with the love they give in return. It’s a wonderful feeling to know another creature has put their trust in us. Good luck!

• Stormsilver 1st December 2021 at 9:41 am

Maybe this might be of some help.

• Heidi 1st December 2021 at 5:54 pm

Thank you yes, I have seen this and isn’t it useful. I’m letting it inform me. H

• Stormsilver 2nd December 2021 at 10:13 am

Sorry lost the last lines.👍

• Heidi 19th December 2021 at 9:54 am

Lots more interactive attention happening.

• LawrieL 20th December 2021 at 4:11 pm

❤️ Wonderful!

• LawrieL 20th December 2021 at 4:18 pm

And see how she’s looking at you …. there’s a question in her expression, maybe asking “is it o.k. for me to chase the ducks” 😂😆

Add