Home Forums Travel My son and I are having a weekend in Edinburgh as...

Mary A Posted 3 months ago
My son and I are having a weekend in Edinburgh as he starts Uni here soon. Are there any Rest Less members who can suggest more unusual places to visit? We’ve done the castle, observatory and The Scottish Parliament. Thanks in advance. Having a fantastic time in this very beautiful and vibrant city!
2 likes & 29 replies
    • Kevin1964 4th September 2021 at 5:39 pm

Visit the National Museum, it is amazing, rub greyfriars Bobby’s nose on the way past and smile at the home of Harry Potter at the side of Bobby…..other than that you will have an amazing time just wondering around the streets

• Mary A 4th September 2021 at 6:14 pm

Thanks Kevin. We did see a crowd outside The Greyfriar’s Bobby pub. Must go back and take another look. Didn’t clock the Bobby or the Harry Potter house though. Someone mentioned an old street under a street…. like going back in time?

• Kevin1964 4th September 2021 at 6:24 pm

You must…..must….read the story of Bobby, I rubbed his nose (edited picture I removed me it was Covid times and I had a Covid belly 😊), also go on the ghost walk on an evening…..how can you miss the home of Harry Potter, JK Rowlings sat looking out of the window writing her stories 😊 ……it is always worth a picture of that cafe.

• Mary A 4th September 2021 at 6:37 pm

Now the ghost walk sounds fun!
      Does this include a meal at ‘The Witchery?’ 🤣😂
      What’s the name of the cafe? The Home of Harry Potter?

• Mary A 4th September 2021 at 6:38 pm

Oh? Thank you!

• Kevin1964 4th September 2021 at 6:43 pm

Sorry for my enthusiasm I have only been twice, I just love the place, every corner you turn you find something new, your son will love it, so many bars hidden away , music, sport, people watching and everyone is welcoming and nice. Enjoy your weekend 😊 😊

• Mary A 4th September 2021 at 6:57 pm

Great to be enthusiastic. Sounds like he’ll have a fantastic time!
      Thanks for your fab suggestions. 😊👍

• Vixster 4th September 2021 at 8:04 pm

I recommend a walking tour, that way you get a better understanding of the city. You could also get a bus to Leith – it’s quite nice around the docks now.

• Mary A 4th September 2021 at 10:10 pm

Thanks Vixster, never thought of that. Quite fancy the look of the open top buses too. I saw ‘The Ocean Terminal’ on the front of the double deckers…… looks interesting too. Thank you!
      There’s SO much to explore, I think we need much longer up here!

• Westlinstar 5th September 2021 at 9:09 am

For a wee trip back in time visit Mary’s Close and the Writers Museum (Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott) – even if it’s just to fall in love with the building itself! ☺️ Do you have a car? I can absolutely recommend places out with Edinburgh that are more than worth a visit!

• Gaystwr 5th September 2021 at 9:14 am

Do one of the bus tours they are great, also if u like a walk the up arthers seat

• Mary A 5th September 2021 at 1:35 pm

Okay, we will. Arthur’s Seat looks mighty high but I could get my cramp-ons looked out and manage it I’m sure. Might need some time though! 🤣

• HappenstanceMarmite 5th September 2021 at 10:06 am
      • Mary A 5th September 2021 at 1:36 pm

Thanks so much. I think this needs to be booked ahead as it will be very popular. Looks fabulous!! My cup of tea. Thank you!

• Rtb 5th September 2021 at 10:50 am

A walk up through the new town to the Arboritum and gardens is one of my favourite things then a bus back

• karsteele 5th September 2021 at 11:57 am

Great question: discover Robert Louis Stevenson in the little RLS museum. Pick up a leaflet and visit all the places associated with him, his homes, etc.
      Climb Arthurs Seat – an old volcano. Climb Calton Hill and see the city out as far to the sea. RLS went to the Uni and got his degree in law, which he never followed. Did you know he wrote Jekyll and Hyde. Many people associate him with children’s books only. The street going under a street mentioned below, the lower one is the old town. You are going to get very tired walking everywhere but you’ll love it. Have fun, wonderful city. Oh yes don’t look for his grave he’s buried in Samoa. Karen Steele

• Mary A 5th September 2021 at 1:39 pm

Wow, loads of interesting things to do and find out. If I want to know anything else I’ll know who to ask. Thanks so much as this is only one of the many trips I’ll be making to the bonnie city!

• Drama Queen 5th September 2021 at 12:17 pm

Have you been through Mary King Close? It’s the old underground streets. Fascinating. It’s situated off the Royal Mile. x

• karsteele 5th September 2021 at 2:31 pm

How fabulous having a son going to the uni in Edinburgh. Lots of visits and lots of things to find. He will learn all about the pubs the students go to. Very close to the uni main entrance is a street called Drummond Street and along there is a pub called Rutherfords. He and his friends would get drunk there and then descend to the old town and chat up the pretty prostitutes. There is a plaque on the corner of Drummond Street which commemorates him and the pub. I and an American friend of mine were responsible for putting it there as a personal tribute because he and I met when visiting RLS house in Samoa. where as I think I have already said, he lived and is buried, on top of a mountain. He liked mountains. Have a wonderful time. Please keep in touch and let me know how you enjoy. Good Luck to your son. What is he reading. Karen

• karsteele 5th September 2021 at 2:32 pm

I should have written where ‘he (RLS) and his friends went to drink.

• Indiana 6th September 2021 at 8:33 pm

If you like cats, the cat cafe is a fun place for a cuppa and cake x

Add