Home Forums House & Home Moving to Kent

Dawnchorus Posted 1 year ago
Moving to Kent

Hello everyone. I a 58 year old woman and am at a new and exciting stage in my life. I am probably going to move by myself to Kent within the next 6 months or so. I am Scottish and I am looking for an area that is peaceful but not isolated . I will have family in Tunbridge wells and West Malling, but don’t want to park myself on their doorstep! I love to do art and garden. Any recommendations would be so helpful. Thank you!

1 like & 7 replies
    • Colin in Kent 13th April 2021 at 11:15 am

Hi Dawnchorus! Kent is a beautiful county (although it was dismissed by my old boss as having ‘no drama’ in its scenery). It is contrasting though, and it’s possible to be close to urban areas but still very peaceful. I personally love the area around Edenbridge – Chiddingstone (where I got married), Markbeech etc, which is near Hever. There are also the Medway Towns, which don’t have a great reputation although Rochester is beautiful. Anywhere near Canterbury is lovely, and also, although Maidstone itself isn’t great, there is some wonderful countryside and villages in the vicinity. Also, of course, there is beautiful coastline and coastal towns and villages. Just steer clear of Ashford!

I hope you make the move successfully!

• Marica 13th April 2021 at 3:27 pm

Hi Dawn, I live in Kent/London borders too so welcome! Apart from Colin and me (no we don’t live together! sorry Colin!! 😀 ), there don’t seem to be many in our area so you are most welcome. Hope the move goes well. As for areas, maybe Orpington or Edenbridge may be areas not too far from family and Bromley would be good as well, I lived there for about 30 years before moving to where I am now which is only about 7 miles away

I grew up from the age of 12 in Canterbury if you go in the other direction and that is an amazing town. So much to see and do

• SouthernSoftie 13th April 2021 at 5:23 pm

Hi Dawnchorus
      Wanting to send lots of luck with your future plans. I just did a reply on general as I could not find this post once I had registered.
      I lived in North Kent most of my life and worked in London. I moved near Canterbury 20 years ago which I loved. Quite a few nice villages nearby with easy access to London, Maidstone etc
      I downsized last August and now live in a small village near Sandwich. I really love it here so far. Close to the coast but also rural which I need. I wanted a quiet location having been used to that but near to amenities. Sandwich seems to have lots to offer although I have had to wait till I can really explore the area.
      I have joined the Bowls (never played before) and a Twinning Association, both are very social. I am excited about new adventures with the time now I am retired.

• Be Be 26th August 2021 at 5:03 pm

Hi Dawnchorus, I have lived for many years in Gravesham Kent, not the prettiest part! I do however love Rochester and Sevenoaks which isn’t far from Tunbridge Wells and West Malling. Good luck with the move 😃

Add