Home Forums General Magpies

Lecky Posted 4 months ago
Magpies

Are there young magpies about now, twice this morning I saw a cat with a magpie . then another cat chasing one, we sometimes get them on the roof or up trees, but never being caught by cats

1 like & 6 replies
    • Dreamyboy 22nd April 2022 at 12:51 pm

Honestly wouldn’t know, but I do know that in our case if we see magpies in the garden round our way we have to get our cat in because the are nasty pieces of work that go round mob handed and actually surround our cat and launch attacks on it! 🙀

• Lecky 22nd April 2022 at 12:59 pm

maybe the cats know more than me…and they’re just getting their own back. I didn’t know that about magpies…

• backofbeyond 22nd April 2022 at 1:52 pm

‘Murders’ of crows ganging up on red kites and trying to drive them off is a fairly common sight round here but magpies ganging up on cats is a new one on me. I’m surprised really as I’d have thought a bad tempered aggressive cat would have had feathers flying without much trouble and that avoidance would have been the magpie’s best strategy. It’s not a locally learnt thing is it, where the magpies have had some success against a few overfed lethargic house pets who run for cover and the birds then get ideas above their station.

• Dorothea 23rd April 2022 at 10:06 am

We haven’t seen any young ones yet, – they look identical to the parents but about half the width if I remember rightly from last year.

Our three year old tabby isn’t overfed and definitely not lethargic – she runs up and down the garden and will chase most birds including sizeable woodpigeons ( though she doesn’t catch them) nor is she bad tempered enough to scare off the wildlife – but she’s frightened of our pair of magpies because they shout at her – at least that’s what we call it. They sit high up in our Ash trees and make a dreadful, very loud call if they see her in the garden and she really doesn’t like the noise. Crows have the same effect, though we see them less since the magpies moved in However, the crow calls did prove useful once when puss was very young and escaped out of our back garden. The noise of the crows and where they were flying round, told us which of the neighbouring gardens she had got into!

• Lecky 23rd April 2022 at 10:35 am

so the crows have their uses ….I know the chatter of the magpies , it doesn’t sound like any other bird

Add