Home Forums Health Lower Endoscopy

paxton1974 Posted 11 months ago
Lower Endoscopy

Well i am just wondering if anybody has had a Lower Endoscopy sorry if the spelling is wrong & what to expect as have had nothing from Hospital .

18 replies
    • SelsdonLion 19th June 2021 at 8:19 pm

Hi Paxton, if you go to the NHS website it tells you all about it. I think a lower endoscopy is also known as a colonoscopy. I’ve added a link to the NHS website.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/endoscopy/

• Deleted User 19th June 2021 at 10:42 pm

Been there, done that. They have a little screen and you can follow the scenery as they travel. Quite interesting, if you like that sort of thing.

• Josie123 20th June 2021 at 10:21 am

It’s a little uncomfortable but nothing to be scared of. Be prepared for the after-effects though. They puff air into you so that they see clearly and it has to come back out again. Much to my friend’s amusement, I trotted back to the car like Nellie the Elephant – trump, trump, trump… ☺

• John L 20th June 2021 at 11:04 am

Hello. Had this a few years ago. All went well. I did have pre meeting to explain and info booklet though.
      Had to drink a solution pre going in, it clears the colon. Taste wasn’t good and do stay in near to w.c. for your own sake 😇
      Procedure itself was ok, try to relax 😎
      Good luck.
      John

• redman 20th June 2021 at 11:36 am

ihad a tube down throat,couple of years back without anasthetic, so they had to rebook as i coudnt stand it,hiatos hernier

• paxton1974 20th June 2021 at 1:40 pm

I had the same years ago but no problem then . Thank you for your reply .

• Hen lady 13th July 2021 at 6:36 am

I had this yesterday! Wish I’d seen your comment before going in. Tried to do it without sedation – but had to abandon. They gave me sedation and continued but am really sore today. They’ve taken several biopsies. Hiatus Hernia, gastric Polyps, oesophagitis and oesophageal candidiasis! At least that explains why I’m having the issues. Definitely a necessary procedure, but don’t attempt without sedation!!,

• Keith D 20th June 2021 at 12:24 pm

I have had several for my bowel disease. It can be uncomfortable, but the staff will do everything to keep you calm and they will empathetic during the examination
      but the positive side of the procedure is that the consultant gets to know what Is wrong instantly,because everything comes up.on a television screen and the consultant will tell you, there and then
      if you havent heard anything within a few weeks of being referred,
      I suggest that you ring the endoscopy coordinator and ask them? That is what I do , with most of my tests.
      I know covid has stopped many procedures, but now many hospitals are opening again
      I had successful eye surgery last week.

Best wishes Keith

• Keith D 13th July 2021 at 9:34 am

It’s where a camera is inserted into the bowel,to check for problems,.
      I have had several . As I have a long standing bowel disease.

• redman 13th July 2021 at 11:13 am

I had that about 3 years aged 71

• paxton1974 13th July 2021 at 11:25 am

Well done . Thank you

• Yorkshire Lass 13th July 2021 at 11:56 am

Hello! As others have said the procedure itself is not too uncomfortable. I’ve had three of them. I find the preparation to be the worst part. You have to drink some solution and then spend the rest of the time on the loo! I took my iPad into the loo with me so I could watch tv!

• paxton1974 13th July 2021 at 1:34 pm

Many thanks for you reply doesnt sound good for my family as iam the only 1 who goes quickly .

• Deleted User 13th July 2021 at 10:22 am

When I had my last one, the (NHS Wales) doc told me that they didn’t have the resources to use endoscopy as a screening tool, and that by the time the self-screening result goes positive, they are (in the case of polyps, I had one) likely dealing with a cancer not a pre-cancerous polyp.

The promise here, as in England, is “Men and women aged between 60 and 74, and who are living in Wales are invited to take the test every two years.” So after 74, you are no longer of interest… except perhaps to yourself and family. They also say “At least 9 out of 10 people will survive bowel cancer if it’s found and treated early”, but they don’t say how damaged you will be or for how long you will survive. And they say “Regular bowel screening has been shown to reduce the risk of dying from bowel cancer by 15%”. I don’t find that reassuring!

Looking at the known risk factors for bowel cancer, bowelcanceruk.org.uk list these:

* Aged over 50
      * A strong family history of bowel cancer
      * A history of non-cancerous growths (polyps) in your bowel
      * Longstanding inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
      * Type 2 diabetes
      * An unhealthy lifestyle

The last two are under our personal control As is paying for private screening tests at a more frequent interval than 2 years. Friends in the US have this done routinely at 6-month intervals, for example.

The thing to remember about the NHS is that it doesn’t care about our individual health, but about the health of the population as a whole, as far as its resources allow. The perception of individual care in the NHS, beyond bureaucratic rules, is left to the staff. As we all know, they can be wonderful, or hard and uncaring, or anything in between.

Add