Home Forums Book Club Love to read anyone have any recommendations as I&...

LESLEY ANN Posted 11 months ago
Love to read anyone have any recommendations as I’m going barney
6 likes & 61 replies
    • Frankit 17th January 2021 at 7:43 pm

It’s a long time since I read it but there’s a book called ‘call me elizabeth’ true story, I thought it was very good.

• karsteele 17th January 2021 at 8:54 pm

I highly recommend a book I wouldn’t have thought of once before I discovered it. It is full of thought, relationships, one’s own history, and caring.
      Climbing the Mountain by Kirk Douglas. And don’t be put off because you don’t want to read about Hollywood. It’s not about his stardom it’s about his search for who he really is/was. Fascinating lovely, deeply thoughtful man.

• Deleted User 18th January 2021 at 9:19 am

If you like thrillers try Clive Cussler – if you like modern fantasy/magick try Nora Roberts – if your imagination runs laterally you can’t beat Terry Pratchet

• Vixster 18th January 2021 at 9:19 am

The Girl who saved the King of Sweden is an interesting book by Jonas Jonasson. I picked it up in a charity shop along with loads of others before the latest lockdown and, so far, it’s the only one I would recommend. Also Sapiens by Yuval Harari if you want a book to make you think.

• JoanJen 18th January 2021 at 10:14 am

Guilt by association by Susan R Sloan, I’ve read it 3 times and its still brilliant.

• David John Mason 22nd January 2021 at 8:13 pm

Hi there,

Please let me know if you enjoy my book.

Kind regards

David

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08RY583Z8/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

• Clivewbrown 22nd January 2021 at 8:54 pm

Any idea of what you like? Fiction/non-fiction, historical, modern, crime, romantic, adventure, family etc?……

• zaheen 29th January 2021 at 1:56 am

I’m in the last few chapters of A Promised Land by Barack Obama.It has been a massive journey reading his memoirs of being in office. Far from being a stuffy book around all things political, he takes you on an engaging experience full of all the emotions we feel as human beings. He is an excellent storyteller in that you feel you have walked every step of his journey, full of hope,warmth, tragedy , trepidation, awe, courage, fun and a genuine desire to create a positive outcome out of the most difficult circumstances, and sometimes with people expressing diametrically opposed views. I think their is much to be learnt both academically and a more personal level from this memoir.

• LESLEY ANN 29th January 2021 at 6:53 am

Thank you so much..eloquently written I will give it a go x

• karsteele 4th February 2021 at 8:42 pm

I couldn’t have said it better, thankyou Zaheen. I’m half way through, a slow read because as Zaheen says you’re with him every step of the way. I didn’t realise that the American political scene is a great deal more complicated than ours. Ours seems like nursery school compared.

• LESLEY ANN 29th January 2021 at 6:55 am

Also try Shantaram by Gregory David Robert an Australian author. It’s an awesome read..full of adventure and human triumph over adversity.

• robbie_k 29th January 2021 at 10:55 pm

Try ‘The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society’ –

• Ginnyj 31st January 2021 at 7:00 am

Richard Osman’s Thursday Murder Club is really good, read it in a couple of days.

• Nicki CR 3rd February 2021 at 9:16 am

Sorry to hear you’re going barney! I read quite a lot and write short reviews about what I’ve read – if you have a flick through, you might get an idea… My most recent love has been Bridget Collins ‘The Binding’
      https://inthenickioftime.wordpress.com/2021/01/11/book-no-4-2021-the-binding/

• Malley 3rd February 2021 at 9:41 am

I have loved The Seven Sisters series by Lucinda Riley. It begins with the Seven Sisters and then goes through the life of each sister. The stories move from present day into the past of the girls ancestors and are full of intrigue and mystery. I am eagerly awaiting the final book in the series which will reveal all the answers. It is due to be published in May. The books are big, meaty stories which are hard to put down and take you all over the world.

• juleswalker 3rd February 2021 at 12:01 pm

I’m currently reading ‘Fingers in the Sparkle Jar’ by Chris Packham. It is a wonderful read. I am constantly amazed at the level of detail he puts into a description of a person, place, or event. He describes it as a memoir, not an autobiography. I highly recommend it.

• LESLEY ANN 3rd February 2021 at 4:05 pm

Thank you I’ll get it

• LoobyLynda 3rd February 2021 at 8:17 pm

Tomorrow will be a good day – by Sir Tom Moore. So pleased to have received this as a birthday present last year, and could not out it down. Such a lovely inspirational person who had an interesting life, and then did something incredible. You are never too old to do something inspirational.

• steelekaren99 4th February 2021 at 1:33 pm

What kind of books do you like? If you like a good story that is actually s love story with none of the sloppy romance about it. A story that’s got lots of adventure and ups and downs.. Try The love affair by Karen Steele. Find it on Amazon books. Let me know what you think if you read it. Ebook or paper
      back. The book has , ,400plus pages.

• steelekaren99 4th February 2021 at 1:43 pm

Hi I’m Karen and I Just posted a message to above but it doesn’t seem to have been posted. If you like a good story that happens to be a love story. A good tale with lots of dramatic ups and downs and twists and turns. It’s s very fictionalised true story. It’s on Amazon paper back and ebook.. The Love affair by Karen Steele. If you read it please let me know or better still leave review. Enjoy All,,,,400 pages. Thank you

• karsteele 4th February 2021 at 8:45 pm

Sorry about the doubling up. Mistake. But still the same message. Karen

• jsaskew5 10th February 2021 at 10:09 am

The Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver, The culture sci fi novels by Ian M Banks, Beloved by Morrison, Trinitu by Leon Uris, I Capture the Castle, It ends with a revelation by Dodo Smith, any Georgette Heyer Regency novels, Things Fall Apart by Puig, and the consumate Cloud Atlas

• jsaskew5 10th February 2021 at 10:11 am

That’s Trinity and Dodi Smith.
      Ben Elton is good too as is Making History by Stephen Fry.

• Daisyroots 10th February 2021 at 3:42 pm

My book of 2020 has to be Where the Crawdads Sing.
      The imagery it provokes is beautiful.
      On a completely different genre, have you tried Andrew Mayne’s books? I recently finished his Naturalist series and would highly recommend this. I’ve read 2 series by this author and they were both excellent. They’re crime based thrillers but very different from others in that genre.

• Mudjoy 14th February 2021 at 4:46 pm

If you like history, try Munich by Robert Harris.

• loislane 14th February 2021 at 5:27 pm

I like Jeff Carson and David wolf series, also dystopian novels. Prime also have loads of recommendations on Amazon

• Grenouille 16th February 2021 at 2:17 pm

Recently read Once Upon a River – beautifully written by Lorian Hemingway.
      At present hooked on Robin Hobb trilogies – make sure you start at the beginning!
      And also reading Sum by David Eagleman, which you can pick up if you have only a few minutes.

• Gaynor Lynne Jones 20th February 2021 at 1:19 pm

I actually run an online book club (linked to my business) and have just read My Secret Lies With You by Faye Bird. Trying to decide on our March book of the month. You (and anyone else) are welcome to join us if you’d like. Just send me a message. 😊
      Gaynor x

• AmandaLou 25th February 2021 at 9:51 pm

A Fine Balance and Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry. Both these books are about India/families/society (fictional) but absolutely un-put-downable. Beautifully written and will stay with me forever. The Poisonwood Bible, To Kill a Mockingbird, Where The Crawdads Sing, The Other Half of Augusta Hope, and I’m currently reading The Push (it’s very good). I would recommend Rohinton Mistry to anyone that would listen!

• karsteele 12th June 2021 at 3:59 pm

My book again. If you are interested in true life as it was, then please read The Love Affair by Karen Steele, on Amazon ebook or paperback. This story is a fictionalised account of the long love affair of Robert Louis Stevenson and his wife Fanny Osbourne. A love affair that had many crashes along the way. Ups and downs. I spent 10 years research before writing the book. I travelled, lived and loved their lives right through; read as much as they had personally written, in his 2,500 surviving letters where he opened his heart to his friends; and said it how it was. The many essays and reports written by friends in great number, revealed much of his personality. Few of Fanny’s letters and her book she wrote about one of their voyages; her life before she met Stevenson; and again other people’s reports. I travelled to every place they visited world wide except one in Switzerland, Davos, but he wrote much about it. I believe I have portrayed their characters as truthfully as is possible in their ups and downs and in betweens.
      Can I admit personally that when I reread one particular scene in the book I forget I wrote it and it makes me cry. Sorry if that sounds self-seeking but it’s not, because it’s true. I do hope some of you will give it a try.

• leonardalen 29th September 2021 at 7:05 pm

I’m in the last few chapters of A Promised Land by Barack Obama.

It has been a massive journey reading his memoirs of being in office.

Far from being a stuffy book around all things political, he takes you on an engaging experience full of all the emotions we feel as human beings.

He is an excellent storyteller in that you feel you have walked every step of his journey, full of hope,warmth, tragedy, trepidation, awe, courage, fun

and a genuine desire to create a positive outcome out of the most difficult circumstances,

and sometimes with people expressing diametrically opposed views.

I think their is much to be learnt both academically and a more personal level from this memoir.

• karsteele 30th September 2021 at 2:20 pm

Try The Love Affair – on amazon Kindle and paperback. by Karen Steele
      Fictionalised true story of a struggling writer and a hoosier(look it up)girl set in the late 1800s and takes you around the world.

Add