Home Forums Book Club Love reading but ran out of books. Where is the be...

Lesley1234 Posted 12 months ago
Love reading but ran out of books. Where is the best place on line to buy them.
1 like & 27 replies
    • Lorraine147 7th February 2021 at 9:01 am

For second hand, try Abe Books. Consider an e reader too, lots of cheap books. And support your local library. Here in Hertfordshire you can order online, 75p each, and collect when they’re ready.

• lindsay 7th February 2021 at 9:24 am

Abe books is great and supports local book sellers. They do new too Also agree re libraries. In Cornwall they are doing click and collect.

• chris.calder.author 7th February 2021 at 10:25 am

Hi Lesley, Look around, you may find authors on Rest Less who have websites that showcase their work. And most of us are happy to engage directly with readers. What is your preferred genre?

• Daisyroots 7th February 2021 at 10:43 am

Have you checked out Bookbub. I get regular emails letting me know about ebooks that I might like that are currently on offer or free. I’ve found lots of new authors that I like through this site.
      Also, as mentioned above about authors, I sign up to authors I like and sometimes they’ll issue free books or stories to their followers.

• Lesley1234 7th February 2021 at 10:47 am

Thank you all

• PhilB 7th February 2021 at 11:27 am

Join your local library! You can get them for *free*! If your library is closed at the moment, you should be able to join online and download electronic books to read and/or audio books – again all free.

• Josie The Black Country Wench 7th February 2021 at 12:00 pm

You could try The Wordery. They have some unusual books on there. Also A Great Read, The Works, and Amazon.

• Susmal 7th February 2021 at 12:19 pm

If you’re happy with e-books or audio books and have a library card then that is a great way to go – information here if you haven’t tried this before: https://www.overdrive.com/
      Otherwise I often by second hand from various sources by using the ‘Buy used’ option on Amazon. I have always found the description of book condition accurate and if you choose ‘like new’ then it usually is.

• Goggit 7th February 2021 at 12:37 pm

You should find a large selection of audio books and e books ( no kindle required) available free through your local authority library website

• Nickelus 7th February 2021 at 1:02 pm

If you’ve got Amazon prime there is a selection of free books you can download each month

• Leigh 7th February 2021 at 1:17 pm

Try marketplace on Facebook

• Mudjoy 7th February 2021 at 1:27 pm

Hive.co.uk is a good site for new oaks. They do free postage, or click and collect. Part of the profits go to local booksellers too.

• Magval 7th February 2021 at 1:51 pm

I use Borrw Box using my County Library service. This enables me to download a book fir 3 weeks onto a digital devise. You can also reserve books for when they come available.

• Northern lass 7th February 2021 at 2:19 pm

Awesome Books . Com

• NickyB 7th February 2021 at 2:27 pm

World of Books are very good.

• Sooz 7th February 2021 at 3:10 pm

The Works for 3 for £5, Wordery to support indy bookshops and BookBub for cheap and/or free e-books! Plus the library of course! 😀

• Liz H 8th February 2021 at 8:55 am

Bookshop.org
      Is supporting independent bookshops

• CELIA 8th February 2021 at 1:21 pm

E reader I love a physical book but my E reader has allowed access to all genres of reading some for as little as 99 p and a lot of the classics for free

• Colin in Kent 8th February 2021 at 4:24 pm

I belong to two ‘Books for sale’ Facebook groups, which are always worthwhile.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/566977766651897/
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634790566778207/

Also, I get tons of second hand books from Amazon by looking up titles and then seeing what used copies are available. There are a lot of shops that sell for 0.01p plus postage. They own Adebooks so often link to the same sellers.

• siandeve15 8th February 2021 at 6:28 pm

My wife is an avid reader.
      She uses her local library.
      You order online.
      You say what interests you.
      They pick what they think you would like.
      Set the date to pick them up at your local library.
      There’s no membership card to show as you’ve done all this online.
      She gets up to 6 books at a time free.
      Alternatively.
      Usual places eg charity shop & car boots when they are allowed to resume.
      You can always ask your friends, family, or neighbors.
      Amazon, Abe books online or put out a request on here.
      Give your location & contact details etc.
      Most homes have an abundance of used redundant books.
      There’s always somebody got good ideas on here.
      Good luck with your search.

• BridJames 9th February 2021 at 9:24 pm

Book Depository

Add