Home Forums Local Groups England Essex Looking forward to be in touch with other members

Smithy Posted 6 months ago
Looking forward to be in touch with other members

Hi my name is Jennifer I live in Leigh on sea I originate from Letchworth in Hertfordshire

2 likes & 27 replies
    • LeighS 14th November 2021 at 7:12 pm

Hello Jennifer, my name is Leigh and I am a Rest Less Pioneer and I would like to welcome you to both Rest Less and the community. If you have any questions, please ask me here or message me privately.

I have been a member of the community almost since it began and have found it to be a very welcoming and friendly place. There are different groups for you to look at and join in any conversations that interest you. This is a good way of making friends.

Can I also suggest that as you don’t have a profile picture, you might want to consider uploading one. It has been observed that profiles with pictures do get more responses.

If you have any comments that you would like to make about Rest Less please do let me know and I will pass them on.

Once again welcome to both Rest Less and the community.

• Toffee196 15th November 2021 at 10:59 am

Morning Jen. Welcome to the Group. I’m Kev and I’m in Romford. Leigh’s a lovely part of the world – albeit I can’t touch seafood!

• Norman 15th November 2021 at 1:17 pm

Hello Jen, I am Norman from Basildon and agree with Leigh that this is a friendly group although I am not particularly active having only posted a few photos, I am an avid reader of science fiction and fantasy books and am looking at joining the Book club in the the future.
      I am sure you find something that you enjoy.

• RetroRita 17th November 2021 at 7:29 pm

Hi Jennifer my name is Rita. I live in Rochford. I moved here from Torquay.

• Smithy 18th November 2021 at 4:59 pm

Hi Rita hope life is treating you well.I have never been to Rochford but I did have a holiday in Torquay a few years ago.I live in Leigh but I do go into Southend for shopping and I love sitting at the top of Pier Hill after my coffee,on nice days and when the tied is in I love walking by the sea.

• goldfish63 22nd November 2021 at 3:29 pm

Hi Jennifer, I am from Letchworth too and now live in Essex 🙂

• Smithy 23rd November 2021 at 4:42 pm

Hi how long did you live in Letchworth I was born there I moved here 10 years ago,why did you choose Essex?or am I being too nosey,sorry.

• Smithy 23rd November 2021 at 4:48 pm

Hi how long did you live in Letchworth I was born there moved to essex 10 years ago what made you choose Essex or am I being too nosey sorry.

• goldfish63 23rd November 2021 at 5:23 pm

I moved there when I was 9yrs old, went to the Grange school and then Norton school, I left there when I was 20 then moved away till I was 30 and moved back for a few years, moved away again for a few years and moved back when I was 52 for 7 years and then moved to Essex this year 🙂 why did you move? do you miss it?

• goldfish63 23rd November 2021 at 5:31 pm

No you are not being nosey, I had a caravan in Dovercourt and loved the area so decided to retire here by the sea and I love it

• Smithy 24th November 2021 at 5:33 pm

Love the photo.I love being by the sea,I do miss Letchworth sometimes.I also went to grange school and Norton.My husband came from Southend he came to Letchworth on a course met me and stayed.I brought him home when we retired,unfortunately he passed away a few months ago.I have thought about going back to Letchworth but I am not sure what I am going to do yet.

• goldfish63 24th November 2021 at 6:48 pm

I went back to Letchworth a few months ago and it no longer feels like home, my Father still lives there and it is a nice place but I prefer the seaside location, I have a sea view that is wonderful to wake up to every day, the sea is a stones throw from my door and this part is not commercial which I like, where in Letchworth did you stay? do you still have family there? sorry I am being nosey now lol

• Smithy 25th November 2021 at 7:13 pm

Hi just typed my message and lost it some how,so I shall try again you will probably get it twice now I am not brilliant on computers although I spent most of my working life on one
          I was born in Hallmead and lived there for a few years when we got married then moved to The Meads off Broadwater Avenue and was there until we came down here.Where did you live when there?No I have no family left in Letchworth.You are so lucky to have your sea view.I am about a half an hours walk from Leigh Sea front its nice down there with the cockle sheds and boats but gets busy have not been there for quite a while.My favourite place is just down the road from southend main beach Thorpe bay not so busy.

• goldfish63 25th November 2021 at 10:11 pm

I grew up in Maycroft, then lived in Glebe Road and Common View, I lived on Grange Road before I left to live here, yes the sea views stop me from going back to Letchworth, I am just around the coast from you near Walton-on-the -Naze, Clacton and Frinton are close but i like it here as it is not a busy seaside town, the town centre is smaller than Letchworth town centre and it is very quiet, I have been to Leigh-on-sea a few times a while ago, I suppose like me you have no real reason to go back to Letchworth, I am sorry to hear of your loss, i hope you are coping and am here if you need to talk 🙂

• Smithy 2nd December 2021 at 3:10 pm

Hi hope you are keeping warm it has turned so cold now.Just to let you know I used to work in the pub on the grange estate the Pelican it probably changed its name by now it was quite a few years ago before your time the land lords were Bill and Mary I think they ending up being sacked by the brewery after I left.I probably used to serve your dad if he used to go there.

• goldfish63 2nd December 2021 at 5:25 pm

Hi, I hope you are good too, Yes I remember the Pelican and used to drink there as well as the Community Centre over the road, the pub was renamed “Ebeneezers” can you believe ? but did not last long, it is now a Tesco Extra 🙁
          The lorry park behind was changed to a kids playground and garden and the garages are now posh flats ! Iused to go to the Sportsman on the Jackmans too but that is closed now as well, all the pubs are in the town now apart from the 3 horseshoes and the Chimneys, they finally built on the Norton school site after a long time but the playing fields in Casio Lane are still barron, they renamed the school principal way !!!

• Smithy 5th December 2021 at 4:48 pm

Hi No! they closed the Pelican I thought they might of changed the name I liked the chimneys horse shoes and the wilbury shame was when they started changeing these pubs more to restaurants the old boys that used to go for a pint to meet up with there old mates stopped going they felt un welcome brewerys did not care about them.And Norton is now houses well its all down to money.Well I will not be going back I have decided on that.I had a good life back then and they say you should never go back as things of course are never the same.Evan Southend is not like it was when I first came down here and what with covid I shall say no more,Ha! I could go on for ever.Anyway what do you do to keep yourself sane besides sitting and looking at your lovely sea view.

• goldfish63 6th December 2021 at 11:30 pm

I like to walk along the esplanade and the beach, I go foraging for shellfish and do a spot of fishing, seal watching,cycling to the pier and harbour, sometimes I drive to Frinton or Clacton, you can take a ferry from here to Felixstowe or even to Holland, I do lots of nature walks and stuff, how about you?

• Smithy 7th December 2021 at 6:29 pm

Hi that sounds brilliant.I take the bus to Southend twice a week to do shopping.On a nice day I go to the seafront and walk along there,dont feel very save on my own unless there are a few people about,not use to going out on my own all though I have had to do it for the last coupleof years.I live on a Retirement complex most of my neighbours are single women who have lost there husbands now they are worried about going out because of covid,It has never stopped me going out all through shut down I had to go shopping for food.I love walking I miss the long walks we used to do.I dont drive in fact I hate the busy roads down here I am just getting used to the amount of traffic back home it was not so bad.

• goldfish63 8th December 2021 at 10:54 am

I know what you mean, we live in unpredictable times, still it is good you live in a nice complex with other people the same, I like it here because it is not a busy seaside town, people go to Southend, Frinton and Clacton and it is off the beaten track to come here, there is nothing but countryside between here and Walton-on-the-Naze, I am lucky and have a car so can travel further afield to places if needed, you still refer to Letchworth as back home 🙂

• Smithy 9th December 2021 at 9:12 pm

Hi yes I will always think of Letchworth as my home I suppose its because I spent most of my life there and I think its something I got from my Mum she came from Yorkshire and when ever she spoke of there its was back home.I went to Southend today I always go to my cafe first for my coffee its not my cafe as such its just that I have been going there since I came down and they know me now.I am a smoker and sit outside at the smokers table but boy when it is cold I dont stay too long and people passing look at me and probably think I am mad but I enjoy being outside as well as enjoying my cigy.I miss the country side we have got Belfairs wood close by and the golf course its nice down there.Keep warm bye for now.

• Smithy 23rd December 2021 at 8:21 pm

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year.

• SteveKent 23rd November 2021 at 4:54 pm

Hi Jen we are about 16 miles apart, greetings from Herne Bay

Add