Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure Looking for fellow language learning geeks and ner...

Amanda in Durham Posted 1 year ago
Looking for fellow language learning geeks and nerds

Hi there!

Anybody else out there who likes learning new languages for fun? It would be great to share tips, resources, stories and experiences. Learning a language is something that we can easily do in lockdown too!

1 like & 15 replies
    • Team Rest Less 13th January 2021 at 3:59 pm

Hi Amanda, many thanks for this! Why don’t you also add it to the Learning group, here https://community.restless.co.uk/forums/forum/learning/

• Annieartblue 13th January 2021 at 7:04 pm

Hi,

I am interested in languages too – which are you learning?

• Amanda in Durham 13th January 2021 at 7:09 pm

The one I learnt most recently and became quite good at was Swedish, but I dabbled in Dutch, Danish and Icelandic, too, over the last few years.

I really must decide which of these to pursue again, it’s such fun!

What are you learning right now?

• Andy Paddles 13th January 2021 at 7:09 pm

Does Northern count?

• Amanda in Durham 13th January 2021 at 7:11 pm

Hahaha! No, it doesn’t, lad

• Andy Paddles 13th January 2021 at 7:27 pm

Areet Lass!

• Laura – Zest for Life 13th January 2021 at 8:39 pm

Hi Amanda!

Great idea to learn languages!

I studied Philology at university. It was my first degree and…yes, few people know what it is about! :o( … its is the study of languages (phonetics, phonology, semantics…etc). What I found tremendously useful was that we studied Latin and Greek and the History of the Indo-European languages and their evolution (Grimm phonetic laws, etc)…following those 3 basis, it was a lot easier to remember words in the other 3 compulsory languages: e.g. P in European languages changed to F in saxon languages (Father: Padre, Pai, …Fish: Pez, Pesce, Poison, Peixe… Foot: Pie (you still have pedestrian, from Latin) piede, pe, pied)…and many other tricks! 🙂

( I studied this 30 years ago, so any linguist out there, please feel free to correct me!!)

So, after spending 6 painful years learning all kind of rules and exceptions, I realised that anyone who had been travelling abroad, making friends (and specially boyfriends!) was a LOT more fluent than me and had had a lot more fun (whereas I was only interesting to some boring academics 🙁 … ) ha! ha!

It is much more fun to learn a foreign language by listening to foreign songs with the lyrics in front of you, too 🙂

Enjoy it! languages are GREAT!! 🙂

• Deleted User 13th January 2021 at 9:21 pm

Hi Amanda,
      Icelandic – I think it’s such an amazing sounding language!

I have been trying to learn Italian, but I have trouble hearing the difference between sounds. Any tips.

Annella

• Amanda in Durham 13th January 2021 at 9:55 pm

Hi Annella,

Thanks for joining the thread!

Yes, Icelandic does sound nice, I got interested in it as a result of the Icelandic entry for Eurovision last year, truth be told! I looked up some songs by the band and singer, Dadi Freyr, and really liked the sound of it. They have two “TH” sounds, just like in English, I wasn’t aware of that.

Hearing the difference between sounds, that is a tricky question and a tricky problem to solve, I’m afraid! What kind of sounds are you talking about? Consonants or vowel sounds?

• Deleted User 16th January 2021 at 3:52 pm

Hi Amanda

I have difficulty with consonants and being a Geordie “a”, “e” and “i”. ” It makes me very hesitant about saying the simplest phrases and now I have a total phobia. Not much use when trying to learn your first language.
          Annella

• Ginny65 14th January 2021 at 2:50 pm

Hi. I’m keen to learn Russian. I try to keep my French going by watching Spiral on bbc4 at the moment. I’m very rusty but can see the translation on the screen is not always what was said. I’ve found a crime series on Netflix in Russian called Meglin so that might give me access to colloquial phrases. Not that I’m anywhere near that stage.
      What languages are you learning?

• Diana and Penny 14th January 2021 at 3:19 pm

i am not trying to learn a new language, I am trying to do what I can to use the ones I have. If anyone wants to have conversations in another language, that would be fun. I have the following languages in order of level of ability – some almost zero but can understand: French, Slovene, Dutch, German, Russian, Portuguese, Italian, Croatian, Spanish.

Add