Home Forums Local Groups England London Local recommendations in London

Add comment

• Local recommendations in London

Let others know about the things you love in your local area. Whether it’s a hidden gem, a favourite park, a restaurant you love, a place you’ve just discovered, or anything else you’d like to share with your local Rest Less members – we’d love to hear about it here! If you have some photos to share, even better…

Posted by mark-e-mark
    • Reply by runkirya

St Bartholomew the great located in Smithfield, I don’t know if many would consider it a hidden gem , it is for me. Part of it still has beautiful romanesque architecture….worth visiting.

• Reply by mark-e-mark

Thank you Runkirya, I think I have walked past this and perhaps sat outside with a coffee a few years ago – if my memory serves me correctly. It’s a striking building as you say – so perhaps I will take a closer look based on your recommendation next time I am in the area!

• Reply by bvpainter

If you live in South east London, I can highly recommend the Horniman Museum and Gardens The museum is a very interesting and different museum, basically ethnographical, it also has a collection of historical instruments and an aquarium. You have to book at the moment.

The gardens are beautifully kept, with a very small zoo,, a cafe and entertaiment for children. The views across London are outstanding, as it one of the highest places in south east London.

• Reply by mark-e-mark

Hi bvpainter – firstly, sorry for the slow reply! However – funnily enough, I moved to South East London (Crystal Palace / Penge area) around 10 months ago. We recently got some bikes to help explore wider areas during lockdown and cycled past the Horniman Museum just the other day! I’d actually not heard of it before, incredibly, but it looked impressive so I had to stop and Google what it was.

We plan to go back and actually go in a couple of weeks from now. Good to have a recommendation to back up that plan! I’ll have to share some photos when we visit for others to see here.

• Reply by jacos2761

I often useed to take my children there for a day out. Thoroughly recommend it.