Home Forums History & Nostalgia Living in the past.

• Living in the past.

Good evening everyone, my name is John. Don’t know how I got here so fast but I am 55 years young.

Just wondering how many of you are like me and seem to live so much in the past.

Half the music band I liked, and still like, have members who have died and rest on zimmer frames.

I still think about football when Nottingham Forest were European champions.

I am finding it very difficult to live in the now. I have taken to technology and comfortable in myself but just keep looking back.

Wonder if any of you feel the same and have any of you been able to embrace the now.

Regards

John

Posted by japinluv
    • Reply by Pól

Tracing my family tree has done more than anything to kindle my interest in the past and on so many levels.
      I now tend to think back in generations and the world events of each generation gives me chapters of history/nostalgia that I reflect on.
      There’s Dickens’ London, Chimney sweeps, Nortfolk mustard and shoemaking, WW1 trenches and Jamaican slavery all in my family. It informs a lot of my historical awareness now.

Spotify has been brilliant for nostalgia and beyond. My taste has expanded over the years such that much of it now is arranged by either by decade or geography.  The thing with Spotify is that one isn’t confined to “owned records’ like one was in the past. I’ve discovered all sorts of music by following recommendations based on “if you like this, then…”.
      For instance there are a number of modern American bands I particularly enjoy who clearly draw on the British psychedelic folk/rock scene of the late 60’s early 70’s. They nail it well while somehow managing to sound contemporary.  I like it because it feels both nostalgic and modern/progressive at the same time. (Espers, Wolf People, Meg Baird if you’ve ever been a Sandy Denny worshipper)

I think a major part of this nostalgia for me is toward those simpler times. I spend too way too much time today checking through smartphone notifications wheres my old folks would just got on with their lives without such persistent distraction. I think that’s the main thing I miss about the past, before the ubiquitous mobile phone. Modern times can be overwhelming with the constant immediacy of diversions, choices and decisions.

• Reply by japinluv

Thank you for all your great replies. Nice to feel not quite alone lol

Been furloughed since March and other than now having a show garden! Been working on having a smart home. Love technology but felt being left behind.

My wife wanted an alexa last Christmas and I enjoyed it to. So got a few more and an unlimited music subscription.

Abosuletly fantastic. I can listen to albums I long sold, sorry, gave away at the car boot sale. Play new albums too.

Love the Mavericks new album.

Thank you again and all of you take care. I am in the tier 3 area and just read all our out door celebrations up to and including Christmas cancelled.

At least we have our music.

• Reply by Jaynie

I live in the past too, but around 1600!!  I think I was born in the wrong century, lol.

• Reply by WriteAllAlong

I’m in my late 60s and am steeped in the music of that era and onwards. “That old stuff” that I listen to is often criticised, but its being old doesn’t make it bad! In fact, it matures nicely and I like to introduce my kids and grandkids to music from the past they’ve never heard. The key thing is to make sure that you also stay up to date with anything – like music – that you are interested in: being new doesn’t make it bad, either! Spotify is a blessing in this regard, being an avenue of discovery for both new and old. Again, in music (rock/pop/jazz/blues for me) try not to too frequently point out that this “great new sound” that your grandchildren like is a straight pinch from something you can hum from the 60s!

• Reply by The_Winkler55

Agree about you thoughts on music of today ‘pinching’ music from yesteryear. As did our heroes. The Beatles playing Motown songs, the great guitarists of the 60s channeling blues guitarists of the 30s through to the 50s. Plus ca change. I used to have a running gag with my kids who would point out a ‘new’ song they thought I’d like to which I’d invariably answer ‘It’s alright but not as good as the original’ 🙂

• Reply by Carol1956

I’m 63 and I love listening to Johnny Walker and Gold radio. We had the best music era of all time. Not much money then but things seemed simpler. Wouldn’t want to be young right now the past was a better time for me that’s why we still think about it.

• Reply by Anonymous User

Good afternoon John

Having had my 60th birthday a week or so ago I understand completely about your post. You and many of us reflect in times that we find comfortable and that’s fine. My personal musical tastes predate me and i love listening to 40s swing and the crooners of the 40s-60s. We should inhabit the world that makes us happy but I guess I also try to reflect that as people we always have a romanticised view of days gone by. There are lots of good people and decent things going on in the world today- fortunately or not depending on your outlook, we know much more of the bad things as communications are so much faster and open. Mind you this is all from someone who drives a 1965 Morris Traveler! Stay safe and enjoy what you enjoy. Regards

• Reply by dtaylor5400

Hi John, sent you a message about football, but always find myself always looking back to better times music wise, I’ve a vast vinyl collection.

I buy a lot of cd s online, love the 70s , fave bands are eagles. Boston, credence c.r., stones, kinks,  Gerry Rafferty, stealers wheel, Steve Millar band, many more.

Have a listen to Johnnie walkers sounds of 70s, 3.00_ 5.00 radio 2 on Sundays, if you don’t already.

Other thing I find got lots of male friends, but useless where women are concerned, never been good at chatting up since my late teens and same now. I chat to women in general ok, it’s when I like someone, think a few rejections over the years have hit my confidence badly, sorry think I’ve rambled on too long, hope you’ve not dozed off John, regards, David

Add