Home Forums General Limited choice in supermarkets, food prices increa...

Gerard371 Posted 10 months ago
Limited choice in supermarkets, food prices increasing, empty shelves, shortage of fuel. Just a few of the consequences of Brexit.

The EU was founded on the belieft that merging of economic interests would help raise standards of living and be the first step towards a more united Europe.
Sadly the sentiments then have largely being forgotten.

5 likes & 54 replies
    • EricaLovesFlowers 8th October 2021 at 7:54 am

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. We left the EU stronger and more prosperous than when we joined.
      Our whole current infrastructure has evolved based on membership. But I think very few people understood that.
      It’s going to be interesting and painful living through the next few years. What’s happening now is only the tip of the iceberg.
      All we can do is watch, wait and look after our families.

• Gerard371 8th October 2021 at 8:09 am

We can’t be stronger, we are now on our own and trying to form other business partnerships. The standard of living has fallen, due to the increase in food prices. Although Covid has a major impact the other is Brexit.
        Many people will not be aware that the European laws protected our employment rights. So let’s wait and see how that pans out.
        Sorry jumping all over the place, as I’m at work, and rushing this reply.

• EricaLovesFlowers 8th October 2021 at 8:13 am

I agree with you.
          I think that people will wear their Ruby slippers until disaster really hits home.
          There are already rumblings from the right wing press. So, I think it will only be a matter of time before
          people get the full effect Brexit the reality show!
          😊🌸

• Moriarty 8th October 2021 at 9:10 am

Obviously, Covid has had an effect too and the media which seems to be stirring up panic buying.

• Gerard371 8th October 2021 at 10:00 am

The media announced yesterday that there was going to be a shortage of pasta. If they didn’t mention it people wouldn’t panic buy.

• Reverend Nick 8th October 2021 at 9:57 pm

The shortage of pasta is down to the worst drought in x number of years in Canada, same as for peas – you’re quite right though, people who don’t cook with pasta from one month to the next will still panic buy it on the basis of fear of missing out

• Shirlann 8th October 2021 at 10:01 am

The media has a lot to answer to 🤨has too much power and influence now!!

• Forestbather 8th October 2021 at 10:15 am

Most of what is in our supermarkets is processed, over-packaged crap. We don’t need 158 types of pasta sauce. You could even (shock, horror) make your own. If there really is a looming crisis, I think a competent government would would prioritise the supply of fruit, veg, milk, bread, eggs. Less crap would do us all good.

• Gerard371 8th October 2021 at 10:29 am

I agree, we probably all eat too much over processed food.
      I think we all do a fair bit of rushing around and it’s just easier to buy something than buy the ingredients to make it ourselves.

• Forestbather 8th October 2021 at 10:46 am

I see your point, but “easier” isn’t necessarily better. “Easier” = plastic packaging, chemicals and artificial additives, poor choices for mental and physical health. We are killing ourselves because it is easier.

• Selsdon 8th October 2021 at 11:22 am

Nothing to do with the pandemic or global supply chain issues then 🙄🙄

• Gerard371 8th October 2021 at 12:56 pm

I did say COVID had a major impact.

• Selsdon 8th October 2021 at 1:52 pm

I was repling to your first post. No mention of it there. People who blame everything on Brexit just look ridiculous

• Gerard371 8th October 2021 at 10:53 pm

People who call people idiots, sadly can’t hold a decent discussion without retorting to derogatory comments, so maybe social media isn’t for them. The grown up way is to be polite and argue your opposing opinion.

• Selsdon 9th October 2021 at 4:28 pm

No-one has called anyone an idiot on here have they?
          I think people are just tired of the constant anti-Brexit propaganda from people who lost the argument 5 years ago. Why can’t they just accept the result and move on? It’s almost as if they don’t believe in democracy, which i find very sad.

• Pennypitstop 11th October 2021 at 10:39 am

Totally agree with you SelsdonLion, if the Leave voters had lost the referendum would they still be bleating on about the results….no ofcourse not they would have been dissapointed but would have gracefully accepted the results, as you rightly said it was done democratically. I think the people who can’t accept the results are the type of people that would have accidently on purpose tipped over the monopoly board when they were loosing the game.
          They need to accept, move on and start looking on the positive side and use their energy in a more beneficial and positive way. Life is too short to live it being angry and petulant it has happened it wont unhappen.

• Terry75 8th October 2021 at 11:26 am

Europe braces for empty shelves as VDL warned she cannot blame shortages on Brexit

EUROCRATS have been warned not to blame a shortage of lorry drivers in Britain on Brexit because a similar crisis is emerging across the European Union.

• Mad Ralph 8th October 2021 at 12:34 pm

British standards are some of the best in the world. When we joined the EU the countries within it took decades to raise their standards to ours, we didn’t lower ourselves the theirs.
      This was great for trade and Europe as a whole, but now we have to find new trade partners. These new countries have abysmal standards (even worse than European countries had) so we have to start the education process all over again.
      Take the food standards in these new countries for instance, we could export to them but we wouldn’t want to import sub standard food full of banned chemical compounds. We have a conundrum on our hands that’s going to take a massive amount of work to overcome. We’ve done it once and we can do it again but I fear there’s a bumpy road ahead so buckle up.

• Deleted User 9th October 2021 at 3:46 am

There are not and never will be enough trade agreements.
        The trade agreement we have signed with Australia for example is big enough to almost destroy British farming but to be big enough to equal business as usual aka Europe we need two hundred Australian deals.
        Look it up.

• Gerard371 8th October 2021 at 1:02 pm

I agree, it’s a bumpy road ahead.

• AndyW 8th October 2021 at 10:57 pm

Where I live, there are no shortages on the shelves nor queues or petrol shortages at the pumps. The whole world, including your beloved EU, are facing a shortage of HGV drivers and it has been shown that petrol issues were caused by panic buying NOT Brexit.

• Pennypitstop 11th October 2021 at 10:29 am

If it was because of brexit why has it just started happening and why does Europe and USA have a shortage too ? It is because of the Pandemic ….so many things came to a standstill and we can’t catch up.
      The lorry drivers, NHS workers, ANY workers from Europe who lived in the UK could all stay here as long as they got the paperwork done, which was quite easy to do and there was a prolific advertising campaign informing them what to do and how to do it. My next door neighbour is a lorry driver and Polish and he is still here.
      So many people get sucked in by the media and believe every word the papers and the TV say without doing their own research and finding out what is really going on.

• Gerard371 11th October 2021 at 10:40 am

How do you carry out your research without resorting to the media and newspapers?
      Here is a clip I’ve just found, do you agree or disagree with what it says?

• Shirlann 11th October 2021 at 11:37 am

But at the same time don’t believe everything they say 🤔their reports seem to change like the wind!! Regarding drivers be honest a lot of British people are happy living off benefits especially if they know how to play the system 🙃foreign workers usually come from places where they really know about going without and growing up with nothing!! Their happy to work even if the money isn’t all that good they want to work!!!

• Pennypitstop 11th October 2021 at 1:15 pm

I agree with what you are saying, but because they will work and are happy to work for less money the UK wages stay too low for us to manage on. The companies are the ones that benefit and make more profits for shareholders etc. Also I think it is not very nice that companies see them as worth less than they would have to pay us and take advantage of them.
          The whole work thing makes me cross, unless 2 people are working full time it is very hard for families to have a “reasonable” life nowadays, I am not saying that women shouldn’t work but because we ladies all do full time work as well as the men the wages have been diluted. A few deacdes ago a mans wage was enough to support a family, not anymore unless you are fortunate enough to have gained skills and get a high paid job. The minimum wage has become the maximum wage for average workers.
          I have women in my office that would love to work partime and spend more time with thier children but can’t afford to give it up.
          When i left school in the 70s i initially worked in a shop, then i trippled my wage to go and work in a factory, the conditions were worse and the hours anti social and the work was quite hard but you were rewarded with good pay, now the wage in these type of jobs is minimum wage because they exploit the workers from poorer countries who will do it.,they often live in shared houses and can afford to live on the low wage and send money back home. Its like “auf weider wiedersehen pet” when British men did the work that the Germans didnt want to do. It keeps wages low and thats exactly how the companies want it to be. GGGRRRR

• Gerard371 11th October 2021 at 1:57 pm

I agree with what you say. We used to have a good standard of pay in the UK but companies took manufacturing overseas. When there is more people after work than the job market can provide, employers know than they can lower the wages, someone will always want the job. The unions now except for the teaching union have no real strength, consequently the right of the working person have been eroded. People think because they own they’re own house, they are not working class, and vote to keep a conservative government in power. Going back to Brexit , the European laws did protect the rights of workers, that now is no longer the case.

• Pennypitstop 11th October 2021 at 2:15 pm

Yes you are right about working class….the clue is in the name WORKING CLASS 🙂 i do think the Torys got in this time because of brexit but it is a worry that they will get in again as there is no replacement. Labour seems to be a cross between Tory and Lib Dem now, and Lib Dem have gone ridculously Far Left. I think thats why the Torys are doing whatever they want now as there is no oppositon to put the breaks on. A coalition government like Germany have would be far better. I think Amazon or Google would run the country better…after all every country is a business and they have got it off to a tee. LOL Tories have been in more than out and they are not doing a good job…well they are doing a good job of looking after the rich elite !. gold star there!

• Daisychain 12th October 2021 at 3:44 pm

In my personal experience having worked with the unemployed for 15 years only 5% were busy defrauding everyone. All the others did not have the right skills or experience for the jobs on offer, let alone the confidence to do well in a job interview.

• Reverend Nick 11th October 2021 at 11:13 am

A month or so ago I attended an investments committee meeting where this question was raised. We have a city analyst who comes once a quarter to gives us his take on the global financial situation. Obviously he’s not infallible but I’ve found him to be right more often than not. Here’s what he had to say about the shortage of lorry drivers:

1: Many drivers are from overseas, easter Europe particularly. At the time of speaking they either couldn’t travel over here (covid measures) or didn’t want to.

2: What about training our own citizens up? It costs a lot of time and money to qualify for an HGV licence, which the driver has to pay for himself. There is a backlog at the at the test centres due to a shortage of qualified staff and covid measures as well.

3: Another key reason is, even supposing you put the training hours in, paid for the expensive HGV tests – the return on that investment is very poor because the employers simply don’t pay enough in wages – It’s not worth ll that outlay – remember this is from an experienced financial analyst, 30 years in the city- and predisposed to be supportive of Conservative economics.

4: Many potential drivers are simply bypassing the HGV route and opting instead to become white van men, which require much less in the way of driving qualifications. There is a scheme where you can partner up with Amazon, though this is not entirely risk free when it comes to terms and conditions.

• AndyW 11th October 2021 at 9:23 pm

A lot of the time and expense required to qualify as an HGV driver is down to the requirement to complete a Driver CPC qualification. This qualification – taken in 4 parts, is an EU directive and has not yet been repealed or changed post Brexit. We could simplify the training requirement to make it quicker and more cost effective by simply removing EU red tape. While not a quick fix, it would begin to solve alleviate the driver shortage.

• Gerard371 12th October 2021 at 1:02 am

But surely it’s not asking a lot to do do 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to keep your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) to drive a lorry, bus or coach.

• Gerard371 11th October 2021 at 11:19 am

The above makes sense, maybe the government needs to encourage more people to take up the HGV option, with an interest free load, payable over a set number of years once they are in work, much like what university students are having to do now.

• Mad Ralph 11th October 2021 at 11:39 am

I’m not sure this loan would be a good investment if we believe media reports of most delivery vehicles being driverless within the next few years. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Gerard371 11th October 2021 at 11:47 am

Vehicles like that rely heavily on sensors and the sortware management program.Tesla have had a few accidents with driverless cars, imagine the damage a heavy goods vehicle could do if there was a glitch.
          It’s the future, but I can’t see it happening for quite a few years.

• Mad Ralph 11th October 2021 at 11:50 am

Yes I agree, totally autonomous does seem some time away but drivers are already be phased out in some places.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41038220

• TmonT 11th October 2021 at 2:20 pm

Rubbish it’s a consequence of many thing, pandemic, greedy businesses who couldn’t care less about workers pay an conditions Now facing the reality, Fit people and I stress fit people who made benefits a way of life there is no staff shortage compare job vacancies with unemployment figures Media hype I’ve had no issues with food, fuel etc

• Gerard371 12th October 2021 at 10:09 am

Thought you might enjoy reading this snippet about what’s happening to others.
        Supply chain shortages, the HGV driver crisis and inflation has already prompted food shortages and raised the price of some goods. According to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), one in six adults in the UK haven’t been able to buy essential food items in the last fortnight. All the while, Britons are also having to cope with the energy crisis that is putting major suppliers out of business and threatening another rise in bills.

• Gerard371 11th October 2021 at 4:54 pm

Maybe if someone could mention specific positives from Brexit, it might alter my negative opinion of it. Not just generalisations, like “we taken back control” . But we now control this xxx, and the NHS is now 394 milion pounds better off each week, where is this extra funding going?

• Daisychain 12th October 2021 at 3:47 pm

Into the pockets of the already rich. How much money has been wasted in buying goods not fit for purpose during Covid. I never believed the poster on the bus!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 12th October 2021 at 6:52 am

At a very personal level, Brexit has cost me my business and has split my family. There are no upsides to this disaster.

• Gerard371 12th October 2021 at 7:14 am

Sorry to hear that muddyboots, hopefully your future will be brighter.

• Staying Alive 12th October 2021 at 7:34 am

This is a because of BREXIT
      They people of this country voted now you learning your lessons.

Yes it’s going get worse.
      Listen to the media react to it your choice think before you act

• AndyW 12th October 2021 at 11:00 am

Are the problems in numerous countries around the globe a result of Brexit too? Don’t let actual facts get in the way of your bias. https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/business/186937/empty-shelves-carrefour-belgium-confirms-supply-difficulties/

• Gerard371 12th October 2021 at 12:05 pm

I was hoping someone could point out what positives there are to Brexit, and also is the extra £300 million helping the NHS.

• AndyW 12th October 2021 at 4:03 pm

Maybe let’s start with a fairer immigration policy instead of one which prioritises predominantly white Europeans. Then we could move onto not having to pay huge sums into an organisation we have a trade deficit with to allow us to trade with them. Taxpayer money being spent in other countries, being run by unelected and unaccountable politicians, the European arrest warrant where UK citizens can be extradited and held in confinement with little evidence, fishing waters being plundered by super trawlers and not having to join a combined EU army. Personally, I wouldn’t plough any more money into the NHS until it is reformed from top to bottom. Far too much wastage and a black hole for any increase in government funding.

• Gerard371 12th October 2021 at 4:56 pm

I’ll have to research some of the points you raised, but what has happened so far, that’s a positive for leaving the EU. Unless what you say has already happened.

• goldfish63 12th October 2021 at 4:28 pm

Well I am glad we left the EU as seen the unfairness at close hand, I was in Spain when we were in the Union twice and went to shop at Lidl there, well the prices in Spain were half the prices of Lidl in the UK, more variety and they were even selling British products cheaper than here, not fair do you not think? supposed to be the same across the Union but it was not, cars are cheaper in Europe than the UK, our fishing standards were a joke and so the list goes on, we are better off outside and free to trade elsewhere!!!

• Gerard371 12th October 2021 at 4:53 pm

If prices come down in the UK, as a result of Brexit all well and good. COVID has clouded the issue. Let’s give it 12 months, and revisit this topic.

Add