Home Forums General “LIKE”

Pops McCarthy Posted 3 months ago
“LIKE”

On a table close to where I’m sitting in a coffee shop are two young couples. You know the type. Over qualified n under educated relatively well spoken and want everyone to know it. Conversation goes:
“So, like I was 17, like and like this guy who was like in his like thirties like started like hitting on me”. The response was: ” oh my god, like how mad is that like he was like old enough to like be your like dad”
Is “like” the new “you know”?
I have no qualifications, but I swear I have a better (like!!!!!!) command of the English language.
Anyone else noticed this?

9 likes & 74 replies
    • Mick20 28th May 2022 at 11:01 am

Yes, bloody annoying, very American, it’s in the same bracket as the word SO !

“Are you going on holiday this year ? ” Answer, “SO we will be going to Spain”

can’t stand hearing it, winds me up, improper use of the word.

• Pops McCarthy 28th May 2022 at 11:05 am

Ah yes.
        “Like, going to like Spain and like I’m so going to like get so like tanned. 🤣🤣

• Mick20 28th May 2022 at 11:14 am

That’s it very “ok yar” 🤣🤣

• Mick20 31st May 2022 at 8:52 pm

Pops, don’t know if your aware that, about 4 posts have been deleted from here where I’ve posted this one, 2 of mine & 2 of Linpap’s have been took off! I’ve spoke to Lin & she agrees they have been took off! Why we can’t understand because certainly nothing offensive in the content. Looks like the phantom Post deleter is back!!

• Pops McCarthy 31st May 2022 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for telling me. I didn’t know. Very strange. Whoever it is has to know their way around the Rest Less site, methinks.
          All is not what it seems on RL.
          Thanks again, Mick

• Lonelysole 28th May 2022 at 11:19 am

Right is another word that is annoying after every sentence as well right!

Xx

• Moondaisy 28th May 2022 at 11:44 am

There are two people where I work who say ok? after every sentence. Drives me nuts! One was taking assembly the other day…. went something like…. On Friday, ok? We’re going to celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee, ok? We will be having our dinner outside, ok? You can wear what you like to school, ok? and so on…. 😠 drove me crackers….

• Pops McCarthy 28th May 2022 at 11:56 am

Drives me nuts too. (OK!!)
      But it does prove what a teacher told me in 2005. It’s more important to learn communication than the language itself. I have a serious problem with that and now look. Our over qualified youth unable to use the language well enough to be confident and articulate when communicating.(OK!!!!)

• Reverend Nick 28th May 2022 at 11:56 am

A few years ago I overheard (since they were speaking very loudly) verbatim from a couple of older school kids:

“ . . . So he was like, where are we going with this relationship? And I was like, Josh, we’re soooo not in a relationship . . .”

• Forestbather 28th May 2022 at 12:16 pm

Language evolves.

Every generation has its words and phrases.

• Moondaisy 29th May 2022 at 9:29 am

I think it’s the constant saying of the word not the actual word.

Meanings change over the years, like when I bought my son a coca cola fridge from a car boot… he said it was ‘sick’…. I was like (pardon the pun) What’s wrong with it? Not realising it meant ‘wicked’

• Linde 29th May 2022 at 7:40 pm

Hello, moondaisy, another one of those repetitive words was/is “ awesome” . Translated into German it sounds straight out of a church vocabulary.
          Then there was “ cool” , meaning something quite different. In our neighbourhood the general “ greeting “ at the moment is ‘f.o.” It is applied freely to greetings of good morning, general comment, any conversation in fact. My own interpretation is “ why did Shakespeare even bother? “ I
          Then we are told English is the richest language in the world. I doubt it, with only 10 words being used on a regular basis!

• Staying Alive 28th May 2022 at 2:30 pm

Now ant it right it’s like ya I was say ya listen up na bec me na rep up again it’s cool man it’s the language in me yard and da me homies speaken ya na cool, man ya na cool. 😂🤣

• Catwoman 28th May 2022 at 3:03 pm

I mean it’s so like annoyin innit? 🤣🤣

• Colin in Kent 28th May 2022 at 3:08 pm

You’ll probably find this article of inestimable value in your dismissal of language evolution. It charts the development of ‘like’ from the Saxon ‘lic’ meaning ‘body’ to its current development among young people (although, in fact, this usage first began in the 1950s), where it is used as a modal marker that delineates thought processes and, in fact, represents three different linguistic usages – an acknowledgement of counterexpectation; a comparison of one thing to mean many; and a preannouncement of hesitation in a thought process.

I once had a friend who did a PhD in conversation analysis, and you’d be surprised quite how sophisticated what we assume to be ‘under educated’ can be.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/11/the-evolution-of-like/507614/

• Pops McCarthy 28th May 2022 at 3:50 pm

So it is ok to use the word “like” in a way that has no relevance or of no grammatical use to a sentence? I ask as a simple, uneducated person who just looked up the definition of the word “like” and its use.

• backofbeyond 29th May 2022 at 10:13 am

Personally it grates on me but that’s because things have moved on since I was at the cutting edge of linguistic modification. Some of the slang that came into common usage back in the 60’s – the “turn on, tune in, and drop out” generation – must have sounded like the end of days to the ‘establishment’ back then. Things come, have their time in the sun, and are thrown out as old fashioned in a few years. Words change their meaning and it was ever thus.

At least English doesn’t have the Academy Francaise to pickle it all in aspic. If ‘like’ or the like niggles you now have some patience. It’ll either fall out of use or we’ll all be using it as part of normal English in a few years. Cool, yeah! Meanwhile something else will take its place. 😀

• Dreamyboy 28th May 2022 at 5:18 pm

“Literally” – drives me mad😡 “I literally told him what I thought” as an example – just a waste of a word, I don’t understand it, I hear it all the time and it upsets me…….. literally(😪)

• Cheers on toast 29th May 2022 at 9:49 am

I work with someone who start a lot of sentences with.. What it is yeah… He also uses the word brung instead of brought.

• Tambos58 29th May 2022 at 10:07 am

And when did the word ‘super’ start being used in everyday life, super happy, super proud, super.

Drives me mad

• Forestbather 29th May 2022 at 12:09 pm

Can I shout out for Miss, Mrs, Mr, Mx etc to all be removed from existence?

Makes me cringe.

You are an individual with a name, not an item determined by its marital status or sexual orientation. Let’s get rid of this fuckwittery.

• Franny 29th May 2022 at 12:20 pm

More recent ones that irritate me are “going forward” instead of “in the future” and “yeah?” at the end of a question being asked. Why do some people find it necessary to ask you a question and either suggest or state the anticipated answer themselves? Sooooo annoying!

• notahasbeen 29th May 2022 at 1:05 pm

(So like) I watched about 10 minutes of the show with Mo Gilligan and I honestly didn’t know what they were talking about…..cos like man kept saying this and man kept doing that etc. I felt so confused and thought that must be a bit like when you have got dementia.
      People don’t talk like that where I live so I am at a disadvantage.

• backofbeyond 29th May 2022 at 1:10 pm

“I honestly didn’t know what they were talking about”

I know what you mean; I’ve just spent a few days in Northumberland … 🤣

We’re as guilty of this here as anyone in their younger days though. Put on your pedant’s hat and read through some the other discussion replies.

• Cheers on toast 29th May 2022 at 5:36 pm

Regional variations, I remember a very strange exchange with a Welsh man I worked with when there was some confusion about whether he was talking about a friend or a princess.
      He just kept repeating ‘I said Dai not Di’ and his response to my baffled look was to repeat it louder.

• Wenic 29th May 2022 at 7:14 pm

Another one that’s always being used totally unnecessarily is “Basically”….both that and “Like” drive me round the bend. Just say a simple plain English sentence…….please

• Cheers on toast 29th May 2022 at 7:58 pm

Don’t start me on their /there/they’re. Then there is to / too
      Learn / teach
      Typing U instead you, what have you got planned for that millisecond you saved?

• backofbeyond 29th May 2022 at 9:19 pm

to / too / two M8 🤣

• Linpap 31st May 2022 at 4:23 pm

Did you know Cheers that our friend Shakespeare uses learn/learnt where we would now use teach, think it’s something to do with old English verb lernen (or something like that!) and in the past there weren’t many schools and teachers so people learnt stuff from others and until the 19th century it was quite correct to say ‘he learnt me how to read’ etc just a useless bit of info but I find stuff like that quite interesting!

• Pops McCarthy 29th May 2022 at 9:53 pm

So, there we are. If you are someone who is ok with genders and being called Mr. Mrs. or Miss you are a “fuckwittering” fuckwitterer.
      I am male and happy with that. It’s a biological fact anyway.
      Using the terms Mr Mrs or Miss is being respectful and something I insist on and use until told otherwise. It’s respect. Deep deep into adulthood I called my aunties and uncles “aunty and uncle”. It’s respect. It’s how I was brought up.
      You are entitled to your opinions, Forestbather, but using foul-mouthed derogatory terminology in reply or response to my posts is 100% unacceptable. I do not share your opinion on the subject you raised, but that does not make me a fuckwitterer. Therefore do not share your opinions or respond to ANY posts that I share in future. Anything you do want to say you will call me Mr McCarthy. It’s respect.
      I apologize to all of you who read this and/or contributed to the conversation, but, though I am far from a pompous prude, this disrespectful foul-mouthed derogatory response could not go by unnoticed or without comment.
      Peace

• VFP 29th May 2022 at 11:27 pm

FB’s comment has clearly offended you but I don’t think for a second that she meant to. I found your unleashed rage difficult to read and although I know you are entitled to your opinion you could have been gentler with it.

• Pops McCarthy 30th May 2022 at 12:06 am

“Unleashed rage”? Interesting.
          “Be gentler” with someone who uses a foulmouthed derogatory term for people who do not share the same views and opinions? Interesting.

• Moondaisy 30th May 2022 at 4:39 am

I thought she was funny…. and I agree with both of you. I work in a school and have to be called Miss Davis, but when filling in forms and stuff, why do they need to know your gender, or if you are married, your religion, your ethnic background? I think that’s what Forest was referring to. I also think her use of language has upset you more than her opinion.

Please don’t shoot me down in flames, just trying to calm the waters of this wonderful site. xxxhugxxx

• Forestbather 30th May 2022 at 8:44 am

This is so funny!!!!! Lols for the day ahead. I needed that!!

• Mad Ralph 31st May 2022 at 10:04 am

I agree with FB, if we are to become a truly unbiased and inclusive country these titles shouldn’t be needed. They give you the opportunity to be judgemental before you even meet the person.
      What if you were titled with some other achievement you’d accomplished in life?
      I’d be forever referred too as “Rapist Ralph” 😉

• Linpap 31st May 2022 at 4:33 pm

My pet hate you can’t hear only see in writing ….it’s people thinking that the short form of ‘have’ is actually ‘of’ so for example he should’ve gone to Specsavers a lot of people write as he should of gone…crops up with all those would should could might words I always bang on about it in English classes but seems to be something that most people forget (or maybe never understood in the first place)

• Robert K 31st May 2022 at 4:59 pm

Putting of where it should be have is irritating – it shouldn’t be, but it is.

The big one – and if you’re guilty stop it now forever! It is not heart wrenching – it is heart rending. If you feel you have to say gut wrenching that is allowed, but not heart wrenching.

The fact most people get it wrong is no excuse.

• Linpap 31st May 2022 at 5:03 pm

Agreed! And I did have to point out to one of my very good friends on here that star crossed lovers aren’t perhaps quite the same as star struck ones 😂😂

• Linpap 31st May 2022 at 5:29 pm

I don’t get annoyed by people making mistakes on here but in official letters etc I do think it’s ‘just not good enough’ (sound like my mum!) and I do notice and am secretly impressed by people who really know their language and can speak and write ‘proper!’ 🤣

• backofbeyond 1st June 2022 at 9:02 am

I’ve always assumed that using ‘of’ instead of ‘ve’ is because people are writing phonetically. Should’ve sounds like ‘should of’ when you say it so that’s what they write. Either that or autocorrect is making the same error.

I suspect that there are a lot of people with fairly low levels of grammar competency who are writing out of necessity these days. If you need to access anything on line you have to write and if you don’t know that ‘should of’ doesn’t actually make sense (because it sounds right) you won’t know to correct it. Of such errors are new linguistic norms made. We’ll all be doing it soon.

Regarding malapropisms, I suspect we’re all guilty at some point. My wife is absolutely terrible (or fantastic, depending on your perspective) at getting stock phrases wrong. English is such a wide ranging language that at some point we all half remember stuff.

• Moondaisy 2nd June 2022 at 9:52 am

The difference between, feeling your nuts and feeling you’re nuts 🥜 😂

Add