Home Forums Arts & Culture Letter writing

Rainbows Penpal Posted 2 years ago
Letter writing

Does anyone out there still write letters? Did you have a penpal as a youngster and are you still in touch with them today? Lockdown gives us all time to do something creative, different and ways to connect. Have you written more letters in Lockdown?

3 likes & 6 replies
    • Dermac 20th January 2021 at 7:54 pm

Hi there,about letter writing, yes I could write to my pen pals when I was a boy, 20 pages was no problem, honestly I could go on and on, as when your young, you’ve got so much happening in your life, and i wanted the world to know. I also had the pleasure sign writing old English style, really enjoyed it, at the time. But what I’d like to do, is write a book,as ive got a great story to tell, but need some guidance, and any tips, or is there a ghost writer out there? As i can promise,you won’t be disappointed. My fingers are crossed

• LawrieL 20th January 2021 at 9:03 pm

Dermac, have you seen the posts on writing a book? Genevieve had an idea in her mind for a book she’d like to write and asked for contributions from others. She’s had a a great response – lots of budding writers out there, so maybe worth checking out – at least you’d be amongst likeminded enthusiasts ☺️

• Maggie.L 21st January 2021 at 8:24 am

I started to drop small letters to a friend/ neighbour during the first lockdown as I remembered her saying “people don’t write letters anymore “, and I was struck by how hard I found it at first, because I hadn’t written properly for such a long time.
      I had almost forgotten HOW to write without having the use of emojis to convey a feeling or thought.Very strange.

• Marica 21st January 2021 at 3:04 pm

Yes, I started writing letters again when I discovered some lost relatives at xmas via my cousin. It was initially a chore as we are all so used to facebook and messages etc but I did enjoy it and found the information flowed once I started. I still need to write to one other relative and will do at some point though the day seems taken up with the internet. Years ago, I wrote a book of sirts about real life events but never got it published (not sure it is good enough) and also I remember writing diaries (aka Bridget Jones)

• Summerhouse 21 23rd January 2021 at 1:03 am

Hardly any these days. I realised that the email generation wouldn’t be able to recognise friends handwriting, like I can. On birthdays I can tell whose written the envelope before opening the card.

Add