Home Forums Learning Learning the Piano

Arnold 3 weeks ago Learning
Learning the Piano

I would love to learn the Piano. I have no experience. there is a teacher near me, but sadly, because we are limited for funds can’t afford lessons with them. has anyone had good results from on line courses or can they recommend a self teaching programme. What i would really love is a teacher as I believe the piano is a tactile and intimate instrument. I feel I need instant feedback as I learn my strengths and weaknesses.
I would love to hear from you.
Les x

3 likes & 9 replies Share
    • moonlady 23rd September 2021 at 7:23 pm

I think you would really need a teacher to make any progress. Why not ask on that Next Door app if anybody knows anyone nearby whod might offer you a cheaper rate?

• Village Girl 23rd September 2021 at 7:32 pm

Hi Les

As a piano teacher myself, I would always advise people to get a teacher. Online courses are all well and good, but they can’t correct any bad habits, or demonstrate what any one person needs.

I taught online during lockdowns, and it really is not the same as having 1:1 lessons. Have you tried to find a teacher other than the one who lives near you? It might be worth shopping around or signing up to one lesson a month perhaps.

On the flip side, learning to play a musical instrument is an amazing thing to do.

I hope you find a way of making it happen.

Best wishes

VG 🎹🎶🎵🎹

• Mivvy 23rd September 2021 at 7:45 pm

https://pianoforall.com/
      Learning online may not be perfect, but I would recommend ‘pianoforall’ done by my friend Robin Hall – he’s very good.

• livingspiritphotography 23rd September 2021 at 7:57 pm

I use the Skoove Piano app, I got a years access to the lessons and music for around £50 and I’ve found it really good. I’ve been on it for 6 months and can read basic music and play a variety of tunes…although my 2 hand coordination has still got a way to go!!

• Caroline Pugh 23rd September 2021 at 8:45 pm

Would you consider keyboard classes? I had a planned to start teaching small group lessons last year, but Covid struck and it hasn’t happened. I had 6 keyboards which people could use for the lesson, + headphones, so people could go at their own pace and sometimes learn a piece together. Maybe there is somewhere near you that might offer something like that. I’m in Dorset.

• Jenny O 23rd September 2021 at 8:46 pm

Hello Les, if you can find a local teacher, that really is the best way to learn.If you have a music store nearby they should be able to recommend a good tutor, and hopefully you might be able to arrange fortnightly lessons if you can’t go every week. There is a very good piano tutor book which is aimed at adults called ‘It’s Never Too Late to Play Piano’ by Pam Wedgwood published by Faber. It comes with a CD and you could always have a try with that to see how you get on.All the best! Being able to play an instrument is great fun and well worth the effort.

• Lynnee 23rd September 2021 at 8:57 pm

Try http://www.playgroundsessions.com great if you have an electric piano

• Arnold 23rd September 2021 at 10:23 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. i will look into this more. i do feel that 1-1 lessons would work better for me. I will look at my options.

Add