Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure I’ve just restarted cycling 🚴‍♀️ with a...

Yogi Posted 12 months ago
I’ve just restarted cycling 🚴‍♀️ with a hybrid (not electric). Slow start as I’ve been out of the saddle for a few years now. Any tips at all will be appreciated. Anything from where to buy kit to general cycling tips. 🙏
9 likes & 41 replies
    • NeilP 7th February 2021 at 9:29 am

Hi. I’m been cycling for a few years now. Best advice is get a pair of good quality padded cycling shorts., gloves and helmet Decathlon is good for clothing and kit at reasonable prices . It’s a great form of exercise . Enjoy

• Nickelus 7th February 2021 at 1:00 pm

Hiya -first of all, well done! Start small distances and try to go twice a week at least. Decent quality/inexpensive gear can be bought at Aldi/Lidl several times per year. Ideally find someone to go with-it’s more fun to share the experience. I’d also make sure you can sort out a puncture and also take a mobile phone. Enjoy!

• redman 7th February 2021 at 3:07 pm

what is a hybrid

• Cyclebunny 7th February 2021 at 3:23 pm

Hi a female specific saddle and padded shorts! Thermal clothing now, really good winter gloves and tights. Neck warmer, thermal hat for under your helmet.
      http://www.sportpursuit.com is a good website for cycle clothing, bike accessories etc at good prices.

• RachelR 7th February 2021 at 3:41 pm

Hi..great you are back cycling🙂. I would recommend Wiggle.co.uk for clothing and accessories…DHB is a good middle of the range brand for clothing. I invested in Castelli gel cycling pants which are more comfortable than padded shirts and well worth the money and dont forget to hydrate well . You have many happy hours of peddling ahead of you😁

• DebbieA 7th February 2021 at 9:00 pm

Wear bright colours so you can be seen. Lights also help. The old 5 mile lane is great for cycling. The A48 is a nice wide road to cycle on if you want to venture further. Stay safe.

• Yogi 9th February 2021 at 5:17 pm

Bright clothing! Noted!

• Sunshinedave 28th November 2021 at 8:26 pm

Hi, I’m in a similar situation I’ve just taken up cycling once again, the initial outlay for kit and clothing can be pricey, but once sorted is worth the investment. Which area are you in? I would like to find a cycling buddy for organised longer rides.

• Chris S 7th February 2021 at 10:32 pm

Buy some lights because although the days are getting longer it gets dark very quickly after 5pm. Cycle 2-3 times per week and gradually increase your distances. Cycling shorts are good but in this weather I wear trackie bottoms! Happy riding.

• Redmalt 8th February 2021 at 9:54 pm

Hello. Doing exactly the same. An avid cyclist until my 40s, then stopped. Have promised myself a tour of Scotland when I turn 60. I agree with NeilP. Decathlon is very good. Halfords is more common, but I always use the local bike shop; they need the trade. Global Cycle Network (GCN) produce excellent videos on fitness. Thomson Holidays offer good bike breaks, even now. I have recently got hooked on l’Eroica, an italian organisation dedicated to cycle tours on pre 1990s bikes. Enjoy your days on the bike, and remember, both you and your bike can get wet… no excuses!

• Yogi 9th February 2021 at 5:15 pm

Haha, thanks for the encouragement Redmalt. Wow, you are very ambitious. Good for you! I have been on my bike once since I got it last week. Then the weather became such that I haven’t managed since but I’m an eager beaver so, soooon. Rain and puddles don’t bother me.

• Somethingshort 11th February 2021 at 4:13 pm

Panniers. And mudguards……and a bell. Fat bum saddle too…..they are filled with gel and are sooooo comfy. Wouldn’t be without mine. Just make sure you are dressed for comfort and warmth and wear a bit of fluourescent….anything. Definitely gloves in this weather. Oh and lights…..just in case you are out late (well you never know).Oh and a good lock.

• lyndabrownbath 11th February 2021 at 6:16 pm

Just don’t do what I did and go over the handlebars landing on concrete and ending up in A & E. 😢

• Somethingshort 11th February 2021 at 9:05 pm

Aaaaargh. Ouch. I bet that hurt! Hope you weren’t too badly injured. There is a way to go……when you feel something happening or if you feel you are falling, just RELAX. I know it isn’t easy, especially when you know you are coming off your bike, but it really does help if you can do it. Just sort of go with it. (I must be the only person to do this because in the beginning I was always falling off my bike). It’s more of an art form now.

• lyndabrownbath 13th February 2021 at 7:43 pm

Hi Penny
          I still have the scar on my chin. Thanks for the advice. It was the first time I came off and I was not prepared. I came off a few more times after that but no serious injury. I am much more careful now. X

• Somethingshort 14th February 2021 at 1:11 pm

What you really need Lynda are cushions. Tied on. A cushion at each elbow, knee joints and definitely one underneath your chin……..preferably to match your covid mask.And of course, watch where you are putting your front tyre. Or………get a three wheeler!

• Yogi 21st February 2021 at 7:01 pm

Aaaaargh, no! I’ve fallen off in the past but not that bad! Do you cycle now? Are you ok?

• NeilP 11th February 2021 at 7:00 pm

Try and ride on cycle track if possible much safer

• oberdyer 11th February 2021 at 7:51 pm

Hi, I agree with all of the above advice. I do however recommend PlanetX.co.uk
      I have bought both equipment and clothing and have found them to be helpful, quality items that are at an affordable price and are based in Rotherham/Barnsley area. Be safe on the roads.

• Ohrealy 11th September 2021 at 6:14 pm

Get cameras front and back I’ve found road users don’t get nearly as close when they see cameras on my bike

• Frogboiler 17th September 2021 at 7:45 am

Good luck. I had my first Learn to Ride lesson this week ( at age 53). – never ridden before and was afraid i was too old to learn. After 2 hours of lesson i managed to pedal – but can only turn left. Looking forward to second lesson next week

• Kyoro 20th September 2021 at 7:58 pm

Oh, hybrid stuff is pretty cool nowadays. Hmm, few years is better than a decade, isn’t it? For the beginning, I would suggest getting back to your old pace step by step. When you are ready to get out in the real world, you need to check https://sundaysinsurance.com/ because that’s the only insurance company I trust today. I had some experience with the other ones, and I’m pretty disappointed. I was ready to forget about this shit, but they changed my mind.

• Wayne PPH2021 27th September 2021 at 3:01 pm

Sign up with https://www.letsride.co.uk and find out about local cycling groups, rides, routes, cycling buddies and to get loads of advice, links and details on places (including on route coffee shops) where you can get discounts …..

Just don’t be as bonkers as me on selecting your first group ride out 🙂

I know I had a charity challenge starting soon reason for doing this a mere 2 weeks after getting back in the saddle … but it was definitely, even with being an enjoyable experience, a totally bonkers thing to do 🙂

• Pennypitstop 28th October 2021 at 11:41 pm

I have got a lovely bike and occasionally go for a ride but only in areas where there is no traffic, along the sea wall path and parks that are nearby, I dare not ride on the roads. Its a faff getting the bike out of the garden too unlocking gates etc and it puts me off. Maybe I should do a cycling profiency test again ! 🙂

• LR 17th November 2021 at 7:59 am

Hi, I started cycling in may 2020, my husband has always cycled & I wanted to join him. We are more serious cyclists & ride around 100 miles a week so kit is very important to me, however it doesn’t matter how far you ride, you must be comfortable or you won’t keep doing it. Try Wiggle as they have a great selection of quality gear at various price ranges. Don’t buy cheap or you’ll have to buy again. I ride an electric assisted road bike & it’s the best thing I’ve bought. It has opened up more riding opportunities than I could ever do without it & although it’s assisted it gives me a hard ride so I’m really working out, but it allows me to not dread the hills.
      Wear bright reflective clothing & never assume a car driver has seen you. Hope you continue to enjoy cycling & good luck

• Mart492 21st November 2021 at 6:34 pm

Lights back and front whenever you ride – be it in daylight or darkness. It makes so much difference to being seen. Could save your life. Bright cycling clothes too. Don’t worry about what you look like just be glad you’ve been seen.

• Rob M 28th November 2021 at 7:41 pm

How goes it?, I see this post is now 10 months old, did you have a good Summer on your bike, where are you at now with it?……

• Helen B 19th January 2022 at 7:52 pm

Someone has suggested let’s ride website if you explore this further you will find Breeze. This is a women only cycling initiative from British cycling to encourage women into cycling. It’s good to ride with others as you are committed. Rides are lead by trained volunteers and they are available throughout the UK. Enjoy your cycling

Add