Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure I’ve just joined a Yoga Group which I love b...

Marymead Posted 3 months ago
I’ve just joined a Yoga Group which I love but the other members aren’t very friendly! What can i do to break the ice?
3 likes & 22 replies
    • Always 30th March 2022 at 6:22 pm

Take cake! Everyone loves cake x

• Ems 30th March 2022 at 7:25 pm

Tricky one. I have also found exercise classes quite, clicky, slightly bitchy and stand off ish. I I had the same problem in my pilates class. The teacher was awesome, not so the other attendees. In the end I wasn’t going to be forced out the class. So I just stood at the front and concentrated on the teacher and my exercises. I found it was difficult to chat and do downward dog at the same time.

You might try the cake thing.

Good luck

• Will998 30th March 2022 at 8:05 pm

Hi Mary

I joined a gym a few years ago and found it to be exactly the same. Part of the reason I joined was the social aspect.
      I couldn’t decide if it was me that was unapproachable, or me not trying hard enough or just ageism as I was 55 at the time.

I left after 12 months and had made no new friends.

Never been in a gym since because, if I’m going to sit on a bike for an hour and not chat to anyone before or after the class, might as well be doing it in the fresh air and sunshine 🤣

Lol.. this is so funny. An advert for Bannatynes just popped up at the top of my screen 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Will998 30th March 2022 at 8:39 pm

I should have taken cakes as Always has suggested 🤣

• Janicemarieh 31st March 2022 at 10:49 am

So sad that your fellow yogis are not friendly.. Kind of goes against all that yoga stands for but hope you persevere and they open up to you. Cake gets my vote and sharing a lovely mat spray might also work!xx

• Kit17 31st March 2022 at 12:16 pm

I find this too with groups especially if friends go together or they have all been attending for a long time. Being new is always hard. Don’t really have any advice. It is hard when everyone else is chatting and you fell like a wall flower. Guess that’s why l found it hard to go and just gave up in the end. You never know maybe it will change for you- fingers crossed.

• Effervescent 31st March 2022 at 7:15 pm

Smile and talk to everyone

• Patrington1a 31st March 2022 at 9:54 pm

Leave….find one that’s friendly.

• Selsdon 31st March 2022 at 10:31 pm

Can’t help thinking your yoga teacher should be doing more to make you feel comfortable in the group. How long have you been going?

• Marymead 1st April 2022 at 7:25 am

Just 5 weeks.

• Ross 9th April 2022 at 12:29 pm

Hi Marymead, Sorry to hear of your experience. I teach Yoga in Surrey and online to a friendly bunch of people and everyone is always welcome!

• Morning Sun 14th April 2022 at 8:47 am

Roughly what area are you in Mary?
      I found a nice yoga class a couple of years ago. The people seemed nice enough, but tended to jus say see you next week type thing.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 23rd April 2022 at 6:26 pm

I found this too. People would just arrive and leave and didn’t speak to anybody.
      I wanted to get fit and meet new friends. It put me off going back after a few weeks when nobody spoke

• Helsbelles 23rd April 2022 at 10:23 pm

Do you have a local community Facebook page, or notice board or something for your area? How about putting up a notice saying “hey, fancy joining a yoga class but don’t have anyone to go with? Feel put off because you don’t know anyone? Fancy making a bit more of a social event out of it (ie post-exercise coffee and cake)? Me too! Get in touch and we can go together”
      Has to be worth a try…

Add