Home Forums Pets & Animals I’ve been a home boarder for dogs for a long...

Summerhouse 21 Posted 1 year ago
I’ve been a home boarder for dogs for a long time, and have cared for many breeds. What is your favourite breed of dog, and why ?
5 likes & 47 replies
    • Blondie 23rd January 2021 at 5:16 pm

Have had several dogs including bearded collies cocker spaniels & loved them all but my favourite by far is the cairn terrier & my present dog a schnoodle, both full of fun, intelligent & loyal.

• Milly 23rd January 2021 at 5:28 pm

I’ve had many different breeds of dogs I’m the past but now am totally mad about Pomeranian’s. They are clever, funny, loyal and very independent and delightful dogs when well trained.

• Deleted User 23rd January 2021 at 6:24 pm

We have had various hounds as i grew up. Afghans, whippets and salukis. The salikis were lovely, but I think my favourite has been a beautiful azawakh. A most gentle and affectionate dog. I would like a little dog myself and am considering a chihuahua.

• DebbieS 23rd January 2021 at 7:18 pm

Always had,labs. Just love the temperament. Yellow, 2 blacks and now a fox red.

• Blauro 23rd January 2021 at 7:19 pm

For me it’s the Bull Terrier. I’ve been fortunate enough to have been involved in the breed for almost 30 years and have had a number of litters during that time. They are dogs of great character and loyalty and can also be very comical. They are great family pets and wonderful with children.

• Rolo 23rd January 2021 at 7:56 pm

I have also had many breeds in my life spaniel, staffie jack Russell spaniel, and lab all rescue dogs think they most loving

• Sue N 23rd January 2021 at 8:50 pm

Always had cocker spaniels in the past, had 3 altogether that was fun! Had 2 brothers who I lost just over a year ago they were 14 1/2 and sadly I lost them on the same day, I was devastated and heartbroken. A couple of months later and 2 weeks before lockdown I welcomed a little Maltipoo pup into my home as felt a smaller dog would fit better into my life now. She is just so adorable and loves life and everyone and everyone loves her. She enjoys good long walks and has kept me sane during the dreadful time we are in. Just love her to bits!

• Deleted User 23rd January 2021 at 8:53 pm

I have a lurcher, fantastic dogs

• Annie01 23rd January 2021 at 9:57 pm

I have a American Cocker Spaniel, she was a rescue that came my way. She is my world. I would love a Wolf Dog rescue if I had room. Such beautiful dogs, with a bad press.

• RubyMcGooby 24th January 2021 at 3:16 am

Weimaraner. Me and my girl had 12 blissful years together.

• Julie123 24th January 2021 at 11:42 am

I have a Shih Tzu and she is the perfect companion for me, she loves long walks in the sunshine but hates the rain and is less of a problem for my allergies than other breeds, love her to bits

• Deleted User 25th January 2021 at 8:50 am

I was brought up with Bulldogs, such lovely characters. My Mum always had them till she was older and then moved onto Pugs again lovely but very greedy. Now she is in her 80s she has had a rescue Chihuahua which was the last dog she/we ever thought she would have but it is lovely with a lot of character but even greedier than the Pugs.

My personal favourite is a Staffie I had a rescue one a few years ago and she was the most loving dog i have ever known.
      Below is Star the Chihuahua with Zebedee the Pug during his later years.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 25th January 2021 at 9:34 am

I love greyhounds and dachshunds and have one of each ,
      Greyhounds are generally quite lazy but do have bouts of acting like a prancing pony lol.
      Dachs are very loyal protective little hunting dogs , i like cats too but my dachs chases them out the garden and thinks its a game , both are layed next to me at any opportunity

• Sandyg 26th January 2021 at 6:13 am

The stranger the breed mix, the better, as far as I’m concerned !
      But I do particularly love anything with German Shepherd in..sadly can’t keep a dog as I’m on my own and work too long shifts to leave a dog..but I used to Foster Rescue dogs and have fostered from Chihuahua to Mastiff !!

• Sheltie 26th January 2021 at 7:37 pm

For me as you may guess from my icon its Shetland Sheepdogs just love how loyal they are shy yet fun loving
      Had 6 at one time loads of fun even had bit of fun showing them
      I was in love with Lassie on TV as a child & wanted a Rough Collie but then my friend at school had a Sheltie and I was in love from that moment on

• TraceyJ 27th January 2021 at 7:48 am

Hello. We have a Bedlington Terrier. Scamp! Which he is .
      He’s 15 now. Beautiful dogs , loyal and very comical. Need training though.

• E1NNA 28th January 2021 at 7:48 pm

Love all dogs. Previously had spaniels & a Weimaraner. At present we have a young red Labrador crossbred with a Vizsla. She’s a beauty, loyal, lots of energy and great fun. The best of both breeds. She looks like a leggy Labrador with the russet colour of the Vizsla. I love redheads so perfect for me.

• Bohinta 28th January 2021 at 8:01 pm

Weimaraner is by far my favourite breed, having had two, a male and female at the same time, one from 16 weeks old the other a rescue at 3 years and although they became partners in crime they both had immeasurable loyalty to me. Their high intelligence and energy takes some managing but life was never ever dull. I miss them both greatly.

• Carolanne 28th January 2021 at 8:02 pm

Has to be Pomeranians. Beautiful, cheeky, clever, loving, loyal little dogs.

• Shar16 28th January 2021 at 10:17 pm

Hi my favourite is Irish setter dog we have one always had them now for the last 20 years because they are friendly loving dogs 🐕

• pink.campion 29th January 2021 at 8:42 am

Adore Golden retrievers

• Lady K 29th January 2021 at 8:46 am

I love dogs in general and have had a few breeds in the past. My favourite has always been the German Shepherd which was my last dog who died some years ago. I would love to have a Giant Schnauzer some day 🙂

• Deleted User 29th January 2021 at 8:57 am

The Hounds Wolf hounds Greyhounds any of the Hound breed as there So Placid when there not Running & Foraging …

• Deleted User 29th January 2021 at 10:10 am

I haver been owned by a gorgeous heinz 57, a lurcher who stopped people in the street to be petted as he was so pretty, and now by two whippets. They are the ultimate dogs for us.

• LESSHER2 29th January 2021 at 6:56 pm

I always had cats and still love them, but could never now be without a dog. Had a beautiful and well behaved border collie, then these 2. If you want personality, the Patterdale has it all. Lazy, indolent occasionally violent and full of herself duvet dog. She can run like the wind, juggle balls (sort of) and has very selective hearing. She is loud and communicative if she wants something. The Sprocker is a normal and loving dog with great recall 🙂

• Summerhouse 21 29th January 2021 at 7:24 pm

My niece has just got a patterdale, and she is very vocal. I love the markings of your Sprocker.

• LESSHER2 29th January 2021 at 7:53 pm

Good luck to your niece. They are also extremely wilful and will play you, unless you make it very clear who is boss early on and keep enforcing for a few years. Sadly I have seen many failed by owners who don’t understand the breed. We were very lucky and had sound advice from an owner of 3. And yes Joe thinks he is really a Dalmatian.

• dana.amadio 30th January 2021 at 4:19 pm

I adore any breed of dogs or cross breed but my favourite is the wonderful dachshund I always had dachshund for the last 40 years they are a big dog in a small body they loving affectionate with a big personality and very adaptable to your life style if trained properly!😍

• The Animal Lady 3rd February 2021 at 2:56 am

I love all creatures, but I would love a Rottie.

• Jan b 4th February 2021 at 12:18 pm

I absolutely love Cocker Spaniels. During my adult years I have had companionship from 6. Each of them with such individual characters. What they all shared though was their love of food!! Many a tale of chicken joints going missing amongst other forbidden foods ! 🤣.
      What I love about them is there merry disposition, their gentleness and I love their faces and ears. My favourite colour has to be blue roan. I have one who is a grand old age of 15 called Bailey who bless him just sleeps now most of the day

• Summerhouse 21 4th February 2021 at 12:24 pm

I’m a big fan of spaniels as they come in all colour/pattern combinations. I have a black cocker coming to me for 3 weeks in Summer (if the holiday goes ahead). She’s a really sweet dog, but terrified of traffic, so she’s only walked well away from a road.

• Jan b 4th February 2021 at 12:29 pm

I think that must be a fab rewarding occupation.. bet it’s hard not to get attached to them all

• BA 4th February 2021 at 12:47 pm

Border collie
      My mum had one these and she was so obedient you would think she was human
      Sadly she passed away at the ripe old age of 17

Add