Home Forums Arts & Culture It’s been a good few years since I picked up...

AllsGravy Posted 10 months ago
It’s been a good few years since I picked up a brush for myself. What do you do to get over the procrastination?

I’m not really a painter (trained scenographer), but I dabble when a cheque is waved at me. [100cm² oil on canvas]

41 likes & 44 replies
    • Working artist 23rd February 2021 at 11:12 am

Keep up the good work!

• Anne46 23rd February 2021 at 2:04 pm

Great stuff. Can’t help with the procrastination; I’m very good at that myself!

• BridgetWren 23rd February 2021 at 2:18 pm

So so good. Love the colours and expression. Must have taken some time to complete. Is your profile picture also a painting?!

• BridgetWren 23rd February 2021 at 3:07 pm

That’s good too. Can I ask which filter?

• Kriztina xxx 23rd February 2021 at 3:19 pm

Well done 👌🏼😊

• Marica 23rd February 2021 at 6:14 pm

You have captured a real expression on that face, very good

• Estrella515 23rd February 2021 at 6:33 pm

Great portrait, love the expression and the colour contrast…I have a big fight with procrastination every day, I am forcing myself to draw every day even if it is not a lot …

• Jad552 23rd February 2021 at 10:36 pm

Fantastic

• Susan C 24th February 2021 at 8:50 am

Wow! That’s a nice piece of work.

• Donia 24th February 2021 at 8:06 pm

Wel done! Good luck!

• Donia 24th February 2021 at 8:07 pm

It’s looks alive, really good

• Julieannewilson6 24th February 2021 at 10:27 pm

Stop procrastinating…. and dabble more!!! Otherwise your talent is wasted.

• AllsGravy 25th February 2021 at 9:23 pm

😣

• E-man 11th March 2021 at 4:56 pm

Just read your profile Julie . When my wife died in 2016 I did a Cruse course but decided not to take it up .A lot of people dropped out ,
        However……. It’s taken me 4.5 years to get my confidence back and really get my back into three areas I’m going to do this year ( including writing two stories and sorting out my art to hang around my house .). You can take on board that even me, as a strong ,positive character but whenever I met some really great , likely people it has taken until now to plan a path for myself for this year after lockdown has eased and wound down . and meet a kindred spirit.

• E-man 21st March 2021 at 11:49 am

That was a saying in the foyer of our kid’s school ” ” The love that is not given and the talent that is wasted “

• Deleted User 25th February 2021 at 2:47 pm

It’s great. Will you be watching Grayson’s Art Club from Friday. It was my favourite program in Lock Down One!

• CharlieD 28th February 2021 at 2:15 pm

Hi, I read a interesting article about creativity and it kind of said that we develop more when we are in a state of play, nothing is to serious and we aren’t afraid of making mistakes, procrastination could be linked to fear of failure, but in a state of play there’s nothing to fear which kind of made sense to me, what do you think of that?

• ArtistJanetMyers 21st March 2021 at 11:18 am

I used to volunteer at running Art groups in the community/hospital, and what you say is absolutely true! I would take a group outside and we would find ‘nature objects’.. this could be leaves, mud, sticks.. anything at all they found outside.. and the play began! people having the greatest of joy in smearing earth onto paper.. mixing it with water.. getting messy.. finger painting.. gluing leaves and twigs.. bark etc.. play.. is imagination also.. we are allowing our Self.. to be expressed.. no judgement x

• AllsGravy 28th February 2021 at 3:14 pm

Yes, makes absolute sense. It’s fine to paint hundreds of crap cherry blossoms if you are Damien Hirst [It is significant that this upcoming series of paintings, done throughout lockdown, are the only ones done by his hand as the spots are all done by assistants and the spin paintings are arguably done by machine. And he never does more than a sketch for his sculpture.] because you know they intrinsically have a value associated with your name and will sell, no matter how little quality control. “The gorilla never knows how untalented he is at painting like a human”. “Play” doesn’t always produce satisfactory results. Even to a creative, play can seem a frustrating detour to a determined outcome. Or, it can seem like a gorilla did it.

• E-man 11th March 2021 at 4:43 pm

Looks like we all “tarred with the same brush ” Having said that I have just finished writing up a story I have been booting around for many years . Lockdown will be winding down over April/May and the days will be getting longer. . Great portrait !

• ArtistJanetMyers 21st March 2021 at 11:10 am

One can set a time, date, goal.. and prepare, if it has been a long time. Prepare can be the build up, arranging the brushes that may be needed.. having the canvas in place, paints, even preparing a canvas.. Sometimes.. the act of preparing a canvas can actually be the catalyst to begin again.. one simply continues.. it is like they say.. you never forget.. It is part of our nature.. to be creative.. we are set free, when we do it.. so.. you inner Self, will get excited.. and bubble up.. and Booom! paint til the cows come home!… No matter what time of day/night, you feel inspired to do it.. you will simply have it all ready to do.. looking forward to seeing what you create x

• Deleted User 21st March 2021 at 1:39 pm

I just go for it 😊😊😊 love the painting by the way.

• BridgetWren 23rd March 2021 at 10:12 pm

Who is she?

• AllsGravy 23rd March 2021 at 11:18 pm

Dr Catriona Miller, academic and author. A quarter of a century later…

• BridgetWren 28th March 2021 at 11:46 pm

What a lovely looking lady. Very recognisable from your painting. You should paint her again now.
          Perhaps if your painting hadn’t been so good you wouldn’t have such a high standard to meet and hence you would procrastinate less… 🙂

• AllsGravy 29th March 2021 at 10:14 am

😄 perhaps when normality permits and before Scottish independence requires some passport we’ll get some sittings?

• goldfish63 17th September 2021 at 11:32 am

What is your connection with her may I ask? just curious as sounds interesting 🙂

• AllsGravy 18th September 2021 at 2:43 pm

Back in 90/91? we worked on a film together. I was costume designer and she was a production assistant. We were on location at some Lincolnshire RAF base (3 weeks) but being put up in an out of season Cleethorpes holiday camp chalet (November). Long story short, it was so cold, we could only buy one heater locally so shared the same chalet (and eventually bed for warmth ) to survive. We became good pals; I was her pied-a-terre in London and she mine in Glasgow. And she is my eldest’s godmother.

• goldfish63 18th September 2021 at 2:51 pm

Wow that is such an interesting story, thanks for sharing 🙂

• Deleted User 23rd March 2021 at 11:23 pm

I can draw a circle pretty well that’s about it so I always look on stuff like this a bit awestruck.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 16th September 2021 at 1:30 pm

Great work I like to do a bit of pyrography

• Moriarty 16th September 2021 at 4:25 pm

If you like watercolour painting, can I suggest Paul Clark’s YouTube tutorials and Facebook group?
      I too found it difficult to make a return to painting, but I found that the guided exercises helped me to find my feet again.

• Chalkie 17th September 2021 at 10:46 am

Join a Facebook sketching meetup group such as the Urban Sketching network of groups in many cities round the world.

• Linpap 17th September 2021 at 10:48 am

That looks great I’m not a painter but I am a procrastinator

• EricaLovesFlowers 25th September 2021 at 8:27 am

Five minutes a day. Pick up a pencil or brush and tell yourself you’re going to draw for 5 minutes. Set a timer, thé do it.
      Increase the amount of time by a minute a day until you just pick up a pencil without thinking. The key to overcoming procrastination is to break the task into small part.
      I want to paint and draw again is too big an idea, and probably brings a bit a fear and anxiety and what ifs?
      How do I know this? Because you said I used to be, which indicates that subconsciously you may believe that you are no one longer.
      Procrastination is a response to anxiety…
      How do you eat an elephant? A bite at a time.
      I hope this helps🌸

• Sand 9th October 2021 at 4:46 pm

I am going to join an art club, I used to go to one, I have not done any art for 2 years. I am hoping a friend will join me.

• loislane 9th October 2021 at 5:24 pm

I pick up my brush to keep my hair nice.

• Always 9th October 2021 at 5:38 pm

Wow that’s lovely x

• Monnie 22nd October 2021 at 10:16 am

Pinterest artists are encouraging.

Add