Home Forums General Is there a time you should stop dying hair? Or is...

Shirlann Posted 1 year ago
Is there a time you should stop dying hair? Or is it ok to keep doing it 🤔😁
4 likes & 75 replies
    • Deleted User 3rd May 2021 at 7:40 pm

Personally I love my grey 😊😊😊😊

• Deleted User 3rd May 2021 at 7:40 pm

Grey Brunette stunning combo 😊😊😊

• paulinevaughan2015 3rd May 2021 at 8:22 pm

After years of being a ‘natural’ bottle blonde I went to a Lindisfarne concert.

I looked round the theatre and realised every woman except one was also a natural blonde, we were all of a certain age of course.

I decided there and then it was time for a change so I went naturally pink, then it evolved to purple.

• Deleted User 3rd May 2021 at 9:23 pm

I think your purple hair is fab! Why not go for something different, Don’t think I’d ever be brave enough !

• LeighS 3rd May 2021 at 9:56 pm

Having been all shades of blonde over the years, a couple of years ago I decided to stop colouring my hair and see just how much grey I do have. Not as much as I had hoped as it turns out.

I now understand how my mum felt when she said she wished her hair had gone as grey as her mum’s who went grey in her early 50’s. My mum ended up having grey highlights, did so well into her early 70’s. I don’t think I will follow her, just let nature take it’s course and see how much grey does finally appear 🙂

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 7:46 am

I will have my highlights for as long as I can, it makes my otherwise colour have a bit of life to it. There is tinsel starting to come through but my hairdresser will eventually blend it. I don’t wear a lot of makeup but do love having my hair done. Have considered going pink one day too

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 4th May 2021 at 8:03 am

I used to highlight mine because of the rather dull
        Colour. However after lock down last year I decided to just let the grey blend. It’s still has a ‘highlighted’ look to it (although I can only see the front) but it’s definitely grey highlights now! 😂

That said I sometimes wonder whether to do it again because my hair is so fine and easier to manage with highlights!

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 7:57 am

Do it Kitty, I think it will suit you! Xx

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 4th May 2021 at 8:01 am

Whatever you prefer Shirlann. Although sometimes keep dying it a dark colour as your skin tone changes can make it too stark a contrast for some people. However if it makes you feel good about yourself, then keep doing it!

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 8:26 am

A few years ago I decided to get a number 2 and take it all off as thinning on top, never looked back and keep it at number 1/2. What hair I have though is still dark and people ask how come I’m not grey.

I know a few guys who dye their hair and it doesn’t look good.

Couple have had hair jobs, not for me. Some have ventured as far as turkey for transplants. Personally I think it could be a goats rear stuck on looking at some of them.

Each to their own though and whatever makes a person happy.

• Josie123 4th May 2021 at 8:50 am

Having started to go grey in my 20s, I’m afraid natural for me is reaching for the L’Oreal on a regular basis. I can’t see that changing until I can’t see what I’m doing! And I wear specs… Do what makes you happy! If you’re 90 odd and love pink/purple/blonde/ flame red hair, I say go for it for as long as you wish!

• Lel 4th May 2021 at 11:04 am

Its a personal thing…. I was a vivid plum/purple colour up to around 6 months ago……. It took so much maintenance to cover the grey….. Then the killer point came when my sister (who is never one to mince her words!) said, “You should consider a colour change, that plum is very ageing on you now!”….. I took offence at first, but I thought, “Maybe a change WOULD be good!”….. I consulted my brilliant hairdresser who suggested stripping out the colour and going a silvery grey….. I went for it, and I’m so glad I did….. It suits my paler skin tone better, and it is far less maintenance………its not” old lady grey, I hasten to add!)… Just a light, low maintenance colour which suits me better! Like I say though, its personal choice…. Look at Zandra Rhodes!!

• Buds mum 4th May 2021 at 3:37 pm

Your hair will tell you. It will stop taking dye. I’m 62 and always wanted to go pink, but was always worried what others would think. Now im at a lovely relaxing age where I don’t care what others think, so I’m going for it!

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 5:18 pm

I love to see different colours on hair, I don’t think I’d be brave enough to go pink though, probably end up looking like a plucked chicken!

• Andie 4th May 2021 at 6:11 pm

Loving the freedom of ‘natural’! I would never have imagined saying that maybe 2 years ago. At least I have one thing to thank lockdown for 😂

• Deleted User 4th May 2021 at 9:40 pm

Gorgeous xx

• Andie 6th May 2021 at 5:02 pm

Thank you! xx…..Although, I have my father to thank really. He had an amazing head of silver hair at 40! Looked kinda like Kenny Rogers 🙃

• GillSS 6th May 2021 at 2:34 pm

Do whatever suits you. I stopped dying mine about 6 years ago when I had it cut short which made the transition easier. Occasionally I consider re-colouring but then am deterred by the prospect of having to grow it out/cut it off again. There is no ‘should’ but we greys are few and far between, although we might be more after lockdown??

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 6th May 2021 at 11:50 pm

I think if you’re not ready to try the 50 shades of grey then carry on dying. There will be a time when you say F it, I’m not going to bother but until that time comes carry on. I’m 53 and still dye my roots and will carry on until I buy the tweed skirt. 😊

• Angellizbeth 7th May 2021 at 3:13 pm

Hi Shirlann, I am with you… so long as my face can handle keeping my colour I will. I just can’t get use to having a different (even if naturally different) colour. Been strawberry blonde all my life and find the grey siver white not cheerful at all. Miss my golden coppery hair. So I don’t use the harsh chemical colourants any more, cos they are bad for your health but Indian heana is good or just Hair Crayons by Revlon help to keep some colour going… Stay colurful I say!

• Kaballund 18th May 2022 at 8:08 pm

Hair coloring negatively affects the structure of your hair, which can lead to accelerated hair loss. You can dye your hair all you want, but it is important to nourish your hair with healthy shampoos.

• backofbeyond 18th May 2022 at 9:43 pm

Men are not so much concerned with dying hair as hair dying ☹️

• SBraveheart 18th May 2022 at 10:11 pm

Well no matter what I am going to add the grey this brunette keeps trying to come through.

• Pennypitstop 18th May 2022 at 10:49 pm

My sister has lovely long grey hair it is silvery and looks nice, she is 66.
      I am 62 and hate the dull grey colour of my hair and I am still doing highlights, I think it is entirely a personal choice and whatever you like for yourself. Having hair that you are happy with is a massive confidence booster so go for what you want Shirlann ! :).

• Pops McCarthy 19th May 2022 at 8:58 am

I “dyed” my hair grey about ten years ago. Love it despite my ex wife’s protests. Lol. Don’t think I’d go pink or purple. But I see a guy who has the brightest yellow hair in my locale.
      Do what makes you feel good.

• Sledge70 19th May 2022 at 9:31 am

I really must put my glasses on, I read that as drying hair and thought Duh, when it’s dry 🤣🤣

• Forestbather 19th May 2022 at 9:32 am

This is a zombie thread!!!!

• Lonelysole 19th May 2022 at 4:10 pm

Personal choice upto the individual. I was allergic to the dye and it burnt my scalp and made my skin itch so stopped had to put up with the badger streak for a bit til it all grew out. But now stay au natural grey lol xx x

• Kaballund 21st May 2022 at 1:41 pm

Hair coloring negatively affects the structure of your hair, which can lead to accelerated hair loss. You can dye your hair all you want, but it is important to nourish your hair with healthy shampoos https://utiee.com/Treatments/328-olaplex-no0-and-no3-duo-olaplex.html . In addition, the condition of your hair depends on the number of vitamins you get. Many people do not eat well and therefore do not get the right amount of nutrients. Sometimes it is worth taking a course of vitamins to maintain overall health.

• ShirleyB 21st May 2022 at 1:49 pm

Kaballund is right – the only problem is the damage to your hair – Last time I had highlights about three years ago – I noticed each time I brushed it my brush was loaded with hair. When they highlight they go all the way down re bleaching already potentially damaged hair.
      I decided that I liked it long and went to see a hairdresser to see if she could tone down my hair to match my natural colour – the quote came back at a starting price of £700!!!!! plus and at least 8 hours in the chair – so plait for me for now until natural to a reasonable length to get it cut –

• SH 21st May 2022 at 3:59 pm

We have one life to live, do whatever makes you feel good, I have had my hair coloured since I was 16, various different colours, just love it. Cant imagine Ill stop colouring my hair. Just make sure you keep your hair and scalp healthy as well.

• Junio 22nd May 2022 at 12:14 am

I’ll keep dying mine, I was natural brunette and my hair has only grey streaks. So I dye it mahogany red it goes far better with my fair.skin and blue green eyes than being dark ever did. Grey would just make me feel old and I don’t

Add