Home Forums Local Groups England Kent Is there a Kent based book club? If there isn̵...

bessiebuncounter Posted 1 year ago
Is there a Kent based book club? If there isn’t is anyone interested?
3 likes & 7 replies
    • Colin in Kent 23rd February 2021 at 10:36 pm

Given the number of people who commented on the other book club thread, some of them must be from Kent! I might be, though I’m really struggling to find time to read at the moment.

• bessiebuncounter 24th February 2021 at 3:49 pm

Likewise. I’ve spent the last 4 weeks reading Hons and Rebels by Decca Mitford, so tired every I only get through a few pages. I don’t think I’m book vclub material just yet.

• Colin in Kent 24th February 2021 at 3:56 pm

Ever since school I’ve struggled to read books that aren’t really ‘my thing’, and whilst I realise one of the points of a book club is to read things you wouldn’t normally pick up, it’s really difficult. When you couple that with – as you say – being too tired to get through more than a few pages, it can be a little frustrating. I’m trying to set aside half an hour a day to put away the phone and computer and actually read, but it’s very hard to switch other parts of the brain off. And I hate leaving books unfinished, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Are you not enjoying the book, or simply too tired to get through it?

• bessiebuncounter 24th February 2021 at 4:06 pm

Oh I love anything about the Mitfords, they make my own family seem positively bland. Of course Boud was a Nazi enthusiast, so not so keen on her. But back to your question, I used to read avidly, but too much to do everyday plus I am a terrible sleeper, so ultimately as soon as I sit still…. That’s it zzzzzzzzz. But remaining focused is tricky. A spot of mindfulness or good ol’meditation helps with focus. I got into that when studying as my thoughts raced around my head like a furlong at 3.30!

• Colin in Kent 24th February 2021 at 4:23 pm

Yes, perhaps I should try that. I do still seem to have periods of focus but it seems to take a while to settle into. I’ve taken to reading short stories, which I never used to do, simply becaise they don’t seem to require the same commitment. I did used to loved biographies thought.

• MummzieH 10th March 2021 at 5:52 am

I am interested. Love reading. I too tend to stick to what I know, a book club is a great way to explore wider literature.

• JAT48T 1st April 2021 at 8:12 am

I have got four books ‘on the go ‘ at the moment. I am retired now but somehow, even with lockdown find less time to read! My neighbour recommended Air Babylon to me so I ordered it on Amazon- easy rubbish reading so that is at the top of my pile at the moment! The other three will have to wait – not to mention the two further books I picked up from the local book exchange stall in the next village yesterday!

Add