Home Forums Book Club Is listening to audio books rather than reading ch...

TomF456 Posted 12 months ago
Is listening to audio books rather than reading cheating

Would be fascinated to know others opinions in this area.

Is listening to a story rather than physical turning a page … cheating? I’m asking as over the past 10 years or so I have become addicted to audio books and can say that during this time I have only actually read 1 book, but absorbed over 400 books audibly.

5 likes & 26 replies
    • OhSusannah 11th February 2021 at 8:38 pm

I like the feel of a real book. Turning over the page of a good book is just part of it.
      But it’s each to their own – if you’re enjoying audio books that’s not cheating as far as I’m concerned.
      Some people prefer reading books on kindle.
      Each to their own I say📚

• Scotlad 11th February 2021 at 8:42 pm

I’ve never tried it but you obviously enjoy it which is great.
      I tend to fall asleep when I’m reading does that happen to you when your just listening?

• Colin in Kent 11th February 2021 at 10:53 pm

It depends on the context. Cheating in what way? I know a lot of audios are abridged, which would reduce the experience. But otherwise, why not. There was one person in our book club (which was suspended when everything went remote), who never read the books just listened to them and I did feel that was cheating as the rest of us had to find time to make the commitment, but if it’s just for your pleasure, definitely not.

• loislane 12th February 2021 at 12:55 am

Obviously that is cheating, book club is bookclub… definitely can talk about bookclub…he should have been dismissed from book club…

• Colin in Kent 12th February 2021 at 9:59 am

It was a she! Massage and aromatherapist, said she would listen to them while she worked, and she didn’t even listen to the unabridged ones. I thought it was a waste of time her coming as she never had anything to say about them either.

• loislane 12th February 2021 at 11:12 am

Ah sorry thought it was a he for some reason. Yes, complete waste of time, why bother!?

• Colin in Kent 12th February 2021 at 11:40 am

I’d got a bit fed up with the book club even before lockdown and had said I was quitting, but it was still irritating.

• loislane 12th February 2021 at 11:57 am

Was that because of choice of books, no one reading them through, general lack of committment?

• Colin in Kent 12th February 2021 at 1:26 pm

Probably a combination. They kept choosing 500-600 page books, which I struggle to find time for, and would then have to push back the dates of the meetings. Then quite a few people didn’t bother reading the books that we choose even though we always read other people’s and came prepared to read them. So, in the end, after yet another 550 page tome was selected, I said ‘I’m sorry, I don’t have time for this and will have to drop out’. Then lockdown happened anyway.

• loislane 12th February 2021 at 2:41 pm

Shame really that people can’t see their destructive habits

• Colin in Kent 12th February 2021 at 7:00 pm

Ah well. In all honesty it was difficult to fit in around work, particularly as they held it on Wed evenings and I had to get up early to commute.

• loislane 12th February 2021 at 7:40 pm

Fair enough, I read for pleasure, to learn, to laugh and cry at sad bits.,to keep anxiety levels low, keep out the world and fight boredom off, not that I’m bored easily, never have been. I’m always excited to read a new novel and have been in awe at the world’s authors have created for us to enjoy. Some authors are better than others, but for me, those who research and write because they have to, want to helps me live a thousand lives whilst just existing in one.

• Colin in Kent 12th February 2021 at 11:19 pm

Ah, don’t get me wrong. I read a great deal (and write stories myself), but the majority of my reading is non fiction, huge numbers of articles and books on all manner of subjects. So these days I find it difficult to find the tine for novels and tend to read short stories. Right now I’m reading ‘Antique Dust: Ghost Stories by Robert Westell’ but tomorrow I’ve got to dig into half a dozen different books on the druids!

• loislane 12th February 2021 at 11:32 pm

Heavy yet interesting

• loislane 12th February 2021 at 12:54 am

Well I love my books but also my kindle, I have access to more authors but only because my bookcases are full so now can only buy certain books like classics.
      Now as I’m getting older, sometimes my eyesight blurs,, so if thats the case for others then if audio works for you then do it. Obviously it’s not quite the same but it’s a good way of relaxing if not able to concentrate. I read 470 books last year, so 400 audio is good going.

• Astra 12th February 2021 at 3:35 pm

I love audio books, as a fan of radio drama for a while now, audio books relax me more… (as a child books enchanted me, the feel! the smell of new paper) but since its easy to carry a large library electronically..audio books are my thing. 🤓.

• TomF456 12th February 2021 at 7:21 pm

Thank you to everyone taking the time to reply – much appreciated.

Personally i took to going the audio book route because of the time I spent travelling UK wide for work as it was a great way to eat up the miles, I only listen to the unabridged versions and find in most cases and if well read these books can be totally absorbing.

• loislane 12th February 2021 at 7:43 pm

I’m not a fan of audio, but I can see it’s value and that’s brilliant because you don’t miss out.
        It was a valued contribution, so thanks.

• coachlynneuk 14th February 2021 at 12:37 pm

I love a proper book. But I’m also really busy and in the car a lot. So audiobooks in the car are a great way to stay relaxed while driving. (I love music too, but as a rock, metal, industrial, and classical fan, that’s not good for avoiding the heavy right foot).My only concern with them is that if you’re listening passively rather than actively I don’t think you take as much in with and audiobook as you do with a physical book in your hands.

For the record, I cannot read on a Kindle. I have to have a print copy if I’m reading a book.

• RoCr4 14th February 2021 at 1:07 pm

Whatever works for you is my view. I tried it when I was working and got too engrossed in the story while I was driving. Not tried it at home yet

• Martini 14th February 2021 at 1:30 pm

I like real books nothing like the feel of the pages and going into a second hand book shop

• OhSusannah 14th February 2021 at 4:26 pm

I love second hand book shops.
      One of my favourites is the old railway station bookshop in Alnwick.
      Real fires, bookcases full of old books, big comfy armchairs where you can sit reading a book and the miniature railway line overhead in the first section. Just perfect.

• juleswalker 14th February 2021 at 6:17 pm

No, I don’t think it’s cheating. As you say, you are absorbing each book – experiencing them. I like to have a book in my hand, turning the page, smelling the paper etc! It’s very much a tactile experience for me. But I don’t think you’re cheating.

• Grenouille 16th February 2021 at 2:11 pm

When I was on the road for work, audiobooks were a great way to stop boredom. At home, they are fab when there is nothing interesting on the radio and my hands are busy with DIY or cooking, or when my eyes are tired at the end of a long workday on the computer. I love the feel of books but have no room to store them so I love my kindle too. I don’t think there is a ‘right’ way to read, what is important is to enjoy it. Sometimes, when I listen to a great book, I actually buy the physical copy or download it on my kindle because it is so beautifully written that I need to see the words, if that makes sense. I did this with The Book Thief (oh my, what a piece!) and with the non-fiction Solitude: In Pursuit of a Singular Life in a Crowded World which I annotated all the way through!

• archiewoosung 21st February 2021 at 10:43 am

Novels are written to be read; plays are written to be seen and some stories are written to be heard: Dylan Thomas’s “Under Milk Wood”; Douglas Adams’ “The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” come to mind…and one of my favourites, though I don’t now if it’s been translated into English “Fahrerflucht” (“Hit and run”) by Alfred Andersch. But actually, I like to see stage & film adaptations of my favourite works…in the hope of seeing somebody’s interpretation (not just a straight telling of the story, so I found “Gone With the Wind” dull)…and a talented actor reading out loud shouldn’t be reserved for poetry.

• Chrissie of the island 8th April 2021 at 5:15 pm

I joined audible when I was ill a couple of years ago. At the time I found holding a book and reading quite challenging. However fortunately I recovered but stayed with audible. I still read proper books but I found during the pandemic and being at home so much, it was great to be able to listen to a book and do something else at the same time, cooking, ironing, cleaning but mainly knitting. I took up knitting again about a year ago and I enjoy listening to a book and knitting at the same time, very therapeutic. You do have to be sure who is doing the narrating, some are awful. My favourite “voice” has been the late Alan Rickman reading The Return of the Native. I could have listened to him all day, even if he had been reading the telephone directory.

Add