Home Forums Jobs and careers Is anyone planning to make a career change in 2020?

Add comment

• Is anyone planning to make a career change in 2020?

Are you planning to make a career change in 2020? It would be great to hear what you’re currently doing or have done in the past and what kind of change you plan to make. Do you have any ideas as to how you’ll go about making the change?

Posted by Elise
Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Reply by Stephen

Hi There .

Yes i am  also in the throws of a change in circumstances ,as well ,leaving my employment after forty four years,with the same company ,because

the stress levels are intolerable, and i do not feel satisfied or as contented as i did .

• Reply by melayahm

It seems to me that an awful lot of people are going to be forced to make a career change this year, and not through choice. And obviously, at the older end of the age range, it will be harder for unskilled workers like myself than perhaps those who have useful, sought after skills. Anyone can be a shop worker, factory worker, cleaner. I’m waiting to see how things pan out with the independant bookshop I work in, once we can reopen. Retail is going to be very different, and not in a good way, like working from home could be. People who’ve never shopped online in their life will have had to try it and found that it’s not as bad as they imagined, I doubt huge numbers will go back to shops unless it’s for the social interaction. So, I’ve finally started putting some of my craftwork online, it will need constant working on, and still no guarantees, ( I love making things but hate all the peripheral stuff that is required like photographs, postage, paperwork etc)  but I feel I probably need to at least make a start and dip a toe in the water.

• Reply by katrina.symonds

Hi I am also about to try to do this with handmade quilts, but where do you start?

• Reply by Elena

Hi Katrina,

I have started doing embroidery just before the lock down, I find it relaxing. I am not sure if I will want to sell, but i became aware of a few platforms where you can present your work online, lots of tutorial on You-tube as well, good luck.

• Reply by nobbys.clarke

hi,

yes not through choice though unfortunately i was made redundant after 32 years service in the upholstery trade.

i am now looking to give it a go on my own so to speak.

wish me luck i think i’m gonna need it 🙂

• Reply by susiebeck60

Yep.   I’ve taken voluntary redundancy from my current role in IT Service Management and I’m going semi retired 😊.  I’ll be doing 16 hours a week as a re-enablement carer working for my local county council.    Can’t wait!!

• Reply by jo_ukl

I left a career as a community school health nurse in 2013 after 23 years due to mental health issues and general frustration with nhs hierarchy at that time. We sold our house, moved to the East Coast and bought a B&B…. last year we decided we needed our lives back, put it up for sale and were so lucky to complete on 3 March….and are now back much closer to our families. For the first time ever in my life at 58 years young, we have a little nest egg and the plan was/is for us to both get part time jobs and just enjoy our freedom and new lives…pottering around the garden with our little dog, and researching the local coffee establishments. Looking for something  maybe in retail, a garden centre, gift or craft shop, coffee shop/bakery. Am in Chesterfield area so close to the lovely Peak District… hoping there may be some opportunities as people start to open up again after lockdown xx

• Reply by lionness665

Hi I am Lillian and just joined this group I believe that age will affect many people of an age after this Corona Virus is controlled but it will take a long time for jobs, Education and life styles to get back to the way it was.

• Reply by Smeinnit

I’m early 50’s and employed in Purchasing. I have worked in Purchasing for over 25 years and I’m looking for change. Anything considered. Particularly interested in healthcare work.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Smeinnit.
    • Reply by pinkgekko

Im not sure if this qualifies for this section of the forum but many of the themes about work/life balance, being trapped into the type of role you’ve being doing for many years and the complete change of thinking about what work should/could be, really resonates with me.  Here we go…

In 2009 I took a redundancy package from a company Id happily worked at for 10 years. This was my chance to take a year out and give myself time to think about what I should do next. In reality, I lasted 6 weeks before the anxiety of not earning a regular salary set in and I was back in the same work Id so recently left.

My second chance was 5 years later when I decided to take another break. This time, I lasted 10 months before I allowed myself to be lured back into the fray.

In 2018, it was third time lucky and I really went for it. At 55, I resigned from my lovely full time role, sold the house we’d lived in for 20 years, moved to the other side of the country, set up a small holding and quietly started coach/mentoring.

Why the small holding ? Because when I was a kid I wanted to be a safari park ranger. Working with animals was going to be my career – somehow I got seriously distracted !

Why the coach/mentoring? Because working with people was by far the best bit of my 30+ years in Corporate life.

It’s been nearly 2 years since I made that ‘third time lucky’ change. Some days its hard, (motivation/finances)  but on the whole it’s been brilliant.   It took me 6 months to decompress from busy corporate life, have the space to think clearly and readjust in every possible way imaginable to a new way of living.

Its going to be different for everyone but the nub I think is getting down to the core of what you love and then following that thread.

• Reply by jim.burgess97

<p>Hello everyone</p><p>I recently left my last employer of over 28 years (December 19) to try to achieve a better work life balance</p><p>I am fully CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply) and Professional Diploma in Lean Manufacturing (manufacturing Institute) qualified</p><p>My last role for a B2B business with an annual turnover of 7.5m was as their Operations Manager responsible for all their supply chain activities and procurement (Direct and Indirect)</p><p>My plan was to look for a  role within procurement or the supply chain that can provide a better work / life balance but have found that companies either believe I would leave in search of a similar role to my last employment or are over qualified for the position I am applying.</p><p>To be honest I feel trapped into applying for similar roles as before which was not the PLAN</p><p>I am 55 years old (Live in Manchester) and my next job is not about how much money I earn but more about greater job satisfaction </p><p>I would consider a total career change for the right opportunity and if anyone knows of any opportunities or would like to see my CV please get in touch</p>

• Reply by aislinggray

Hi all, very interesting and inspiring to hear of your career change plans.  We have a career change section on our website which might be a useful resource for those of you who know you’d like to change career but haven’t quite decided what’s next: https://restless.co.uk/career-advice/career-change-advice/

• Reply by jan.clifton

This is great. Goid for you. I also had time off work due to an operation. I took my time recuperating thinking about my carer. I’d been in retail for 22 years, and for last 2-3 was not happy with all the changes. So I signed up on Open University. Chose Animal Care Level 3, and put in my retirement. I feel like a weight has been lifted and now feel quite excited for a new future. I wish you all the best for yours.

Jan. C.

• Reply by Luna15

I have been a business owner for the last 17 years in the Spa/beauty industry but had to reinvent myself due to health issues. Went back to university, achieved a bachelor in business management, followed by an MBA and now exploring new options. It is exciting but also can be scary because I am moving out of my comfort zone. I joined the domestic abuse charity and I became one of the ambassadors; also i have been mentoring university students. I love marketing and would like to pursue a career in Social Marketing to take advantage of my qualifications and my new skills.  Now, very open minded and just looking around 🙂

• Reply by mandyfacebook10

Hi Luna15 – I’m 52 and have worked in admin for over 30 years; the current job for 16 years. I’ve been toying with the idea of going into the beauty industry now for 5-6 years. It’s always been something that has interested me but when choosing a career at the tender age of 16 I was discouraged by my parents who thought secretarial college would be more beneficial. I’ve been furloughed now for 7 weeks but have done a lot of online free course in beauty treatments to show on my CV. I’m going on a 3 day introduction to Swedish body massage course in July and hopefully start evening classes at college in September! Do you have any advice for me?

• Reply by Luna15

I know our parents’ influence was so strong and we had no choice but to agree with them! I became a beauty/spa therapist back in 1993 and work from home whilst the children were little. That gave me the opportunity to raise my children, work around school terms, and children’s commitments. It was great because it was flexible… then I open my business and although it was stressful it was very rewarding. Unfortunately, my health was deteriorating rapidly, and I had to adjust my treatments accordingly. I used to love massages but then I stopped doing them and concentrated on antiageing treatments with very sophisticated equipment. It is a lovely and highly competitive industry.  The best advice that I can give you as an experienced therapist, and as an employer is to try to do your training properly. Invest your money in nationally recognised qualifications that will allow you to get the insurance and licenses for your practice, and one of the most important things it will give you the confidence to offer your services around. I hope this helps, and my best wishes in your new venture 🙂

• Reply by jan.clifton

I have taken early retirement from retail and I am studying Animal Care with Open University. I would like to start volunteering in an animal shelter, e.g Cats Protection.

• Reply by Tonyf

Yes, I hope to make a change this year. I worked in a school in Pakistan for 29 years but have not been able to settle with the teaching over here as the culture and attitude of students is so different. I am looking for a different or maybe related direction.

• Reply by Toddy

56 years old next week and 19 years in the same job, driving 80 mile round trip per day – the journey has really started to get to me now, plus I want to reduce my carbon footprint. So looking for something nearer home to help improve work/family life balance. Background in marketing and business management, currently working for a national membership organisation – would like to find a role that has a social purpose. Jobs closer to home pay a lot less so trying to find something that doesn’t undermine my self esteem in this respect is quite a challenge.

Viewing 21 reply threads