Home Forums Travel Is anyone interested in a weekend meet up at a hol...

Merton Posted 1 year ago
Is anyone interested in a weekend meet up at a holiday camp mid June? We can all book our own accommodation and then meet up Covid depending of course Just a suggestion Was thinking Great Yarmouth maybe 3 nights from 11 th June?

Any singletons could perhaps share a cabin or caravan. So will need to make a friend or two on here before booking 👍🤣🆗🆒💪🏼✅✅💕💕🙋🏼‍♀️🙋🏼‍♀️

8 likes & 40 replies
    • Polly1929 20th January 2021 at 12:41 am

Think you need to add age group 😂 you may be a lovely young man and end up in a group of grannies 😘🤪

• Coffeebean61 20th January 2021 at 4:52 am

I’m already booked with all of my family at a holiday camp in Great Yarmouth, for two weeks before that. Love great Yarmouth and surrounding areas.

• Merton 20th January 2021 at 5:37 am

Any age is fine. Its just a trip away to meet new friends. Im female age 50. From Kent

• Sonny 20th January 2021 at 7:52 am

I think it’s a great idea. I did a brilliant soul weekend in Bognor (Butlins) it was far more upmarket than I remembered from the old days at Butlins. Group of girls aged between 48 and 67.

• Caroline0359 20th January 2021 at 10:04 am

I think it’s a fab idea . Unfortunately Great Yarmouth a bit too far from Devon for 3 night break.

• Christopher Leslie 22nd January 2021 at 12:57 am

True and its a sod of a drive from Devon takes many hours. And that’s not including the time on the big London car park. Sorry meant the M25

• Caroline0359 22nd January 2021 at 10:20 am

Very true . I have family in Essex but no longer drive there mainly due to the M25 car park.
          I have a brother who lives in Lowestoft but wont drive there as you say too far. Its 3 trains and 6 plus hours but… flybe used to fly to Norwich which was an hr flight which was great. But no flybe now.

• steelekaren99 20th January 2021 at 2:54 pm

I love your positive outlook. Who really believes it will all be over by then or were you thinking 2022!!

• vaughanpauline 20th January 2021 at 3:05 pm

Nice Idea but Gt Yarmouth not good for us Northerners. I can get to Spain quicker and easier

• Sue47 20th January 2021 at 4:32 pm

Sounds good I’d like that when this is over as I’m sure many will. I think it will be some time yet but no harm in being positive.

• Merton 20th January 2021 at 5:17 pm

Yep exactly. It worth a try!

• Merton 20th January 2021 at 5:20 pm

Hoseasons has been
      Mentioned

• Merton 20th January 2021 at 11:25 pm

CALIFORNIA CLIFFS

• Kazzy62 21st January 2021 at 3:52 am

I would love to , just got to see how far the money stretches .

• Lizziebeth1 21st January 2021 at 11:26 am

Hi Merton This is a lovely idea, I’m at a stage of life where I’m up for new adventures, life’s too short you’ve got to take the bull by the horns and try new things, some may work some may not but if you don’t try! I recently put a post on here about travelling solo I got lots of lovely responses which gave me so much encouragement I’ve just booked my first solo holiday! Like you I’ve been optimistic and gone for June, just need something to look forward to and if it’s cancelled I’ll just reschedule and keep rescheduling until we’re permitted to travel. So, unfortunately I couldn’t make June but would be up for another month.

• Christopher Leslie 22nd January 2021 at 1:03 am

I’ve not ventured on a solo holiday yet. There’s a stigma around blokes holidaying on their own. They are looked on as rather sleezy. Ladies on their own are far more acceptable. It’s also difficult going to the cinama to watch a family rated film. You get some very strange looks and comments

• Caroline0359 22nd January 2021 at 10:22 am

It may appear acceptable but it is still hard. Especially dining alone, I hate that but needs must sometimes.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 31st January 2021 at 1:28 pm

I have worked away … and so always take a book to the restaurant with me, or magazine. That way I don’t have to sit there staring at the walls.

The first time I had to do this, I just told myself to just think that I am used to doing this and did it with confidence and as if it were absolutely normal. That evening, another woman in the restaurant on her own walked up to mean as she was leaving and said ‘that is such a good idea, I am going to do that next time!’ meaning she would bring her book down to the restaurant too.

I do find that eating out at lunch time is easier than eating out in the evening when the couples all come out of the woodwork. That way I can go for a walk in the evening, or chill in my room with a good book, and still enjoy a lovely meal.

I went to Madeira before lockdown in February .. worked a treat. Also Madeira attracts the over 40s and there are plenty of singles and locals on their own dotted around. Plus even the couples are sociable, and actually quite enjoy the opportunity to chat someone outside their couple for a change of conversation.

• Lizziebeth1 31st January 2021 at 9:39 am

Ha ha its funny how we view things differently, I feel the stigma is more on females travelling alone or going out, for example its so acceptable for a man to to go to a pub on his own I don’t think anyone butts an eyelid but if a women did this people would definitely make assumptions. It took a lot of guts for me to book this first solo holiday and only then in a organised group. Maybe you should try this way first

• Christopher Leslie 31st January 2021 at 10:19 am

I’ve never had an organised holiday. In the past I arrive hire a car and travel round seeing the area with no time commitments. I enjoy the freedom of spending as much time as a I wish at a place. Home Holidays have always been in a car. Still it’s all theory at the moment. None of us are going anywhere. and the first thing to do when this is over is to get a job, as I was laid off just before it started and have been shielding ever since

• Lizziebeth1 31st January 2021 at 11:58 am

Maybe one day I’ll be strong enough and confident enough to do it alone, but for a first attempt a group suits me. Sorry to hear about your work situation hope that works out for you soon, the situation we are in is causing untold damage.

• Christopher Leslie 31st January 2021 at 3:00 pm

It is what it is. At least I’m safe staying at home and it’s been good to have time to expand my cooking skills. As for holidays I think you have to be a certain type of person to go on holiday on your own, and whilst I’m not a fan of organised group holidays I have never gone on holiday without a companion.

• John, South Wales 1st February 2021 at 9:30 pm

Yes, men on their own can be seen as sleazy and any attempt to make conversation must mean that you have an ulterior motive! Being on your own in a cinema can be an uncomfortable experience. Women alone on holiday or in restaurants face their own challenges.
          But if you are on your own, what people think should not stop you from living your life. Better not to be too concerned about how other people see you.

• Christopher Leslie 1st February 2021 at 9:39 pm

Whilst I agree with you there are morons out there who will assume and take action against the lone male at a family film. Have to say the last time I went to see a Disney film at the cinama I arranged to take a friend’s kids with me to avoid any confrontation.

• John, South Wales 1st February 2021 at 10:52 pm

That’s terrible. Sorry to hear that.

• Christopher Leslie 1st February 2021 at 11:34 pm

it’s the way people think nowadays tank God for dvds

• Deleted User 21st January 2021 at 12:06 pm

I would be interested to join in. At the moment I already have plans for a holiday late may, so cant commit at moment. But definitely sometime in the future

• Dermac 21st January 2021 at 1:56 pm

Merton, great idea, fingers crossed ,Iam definitely up for it👍

• Philly 21st January 2021 at 2:47 pm

Im so tempted to book a flight to Spain (cheap at the moment) thought maybe June but might be a bit early, so now thinking October lovely month, starting to cool down. Have so missed going last year. weekend in Yarmouth sounds lovely great idea but will have to wait and see.

• Christopher Leslie 22nd January 2021 at 12:53 am

Nice idea but are we going to be able to travel that far ie lockdown till March then back to the tier system. Not sure it will be ended by June. In my area they started vaccinating NHS staff only last week and there’s no vaccine yet at the local care home. The joys of living In a rural community

• Christopher Leslie 22nd January 2021 at 12:33 pm

Ipplepen

• Shirlann 24th January 2021 at 1:11 pm

Not sure if it’s going to be all over by then ☹️

• Puffin007 31st January 2021 at 12:02 pm

I’m picturing Carry On Camping! All asses must be shown…sorry Passes

• Merton 1st February 2021 at 1:02 am

Hoseasons have repaired the sign now l belive

• Deleted User 1st February 2021 at 9:40 pm

Think that could be great fun

• Merton 25th May 2021 at 1:09 am

Hope to see some of you at Hoseasons. Scratby. June 11 th for 3 nights 👍👍👍✅✅✅👌🏻👆🏼👆🏼👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

• Merton 25th May 2021 at 1:13 am

See you there. Let me know if you have booked. We can arrange a time to meet up for a drink/coffee.

Add