Home Forums Photography iPhone v DSLR

Gulfstream Granny Posted 8 months ago
iPhone v DSLR

Can you tell which of these two photos was taken with the iPhone and which was taken with a DSLR?
Photo no 1 is here
Photo no 2 is posted immediately afterwards
(I’ve not yet worked out how to add multiple images!)

9 likes & 15 replies
    • Gulfstream Granny 19th September 2021 at 6:23 pm

This is the 2nd image

• Chojo 20th September 2021 at 7:09 am

If I had to guess I’d say no.1 was the dslr.

• Sylvia 1957 20th September 2021 at 7:20 am

Photo No 1 iPhone
      Photo No 2 DLSR
      ??

• Gulfstream Granny 20th September 2021 at 8:32 am

When asked this question, most point to the 1st image as the DSLR because it has a greater saturation and appears more pleasing to the eye. iPhones tend to take photos in JPEG – the pixels being compressed – and with greater saturation (Although the newer phones now have RAW options in the cameras and one can always download a RAW app). Thus when one zooms into the iPhone image one can see the little squares/ pixels. This leaves little room for recovery and is not good if you want to print a large copy of the image. It’s ok for snaps. With the DSLR one can set the camera to take photos in RAW (best policy) giving a wider range and colour and provides a better recovery potential compared to JPEG. When one zooms in the pixels are hardly visible (depending, of course, on ones camera settings!).

• grumpybob 20th September 2021 at 10:16 pm

Interesting. I got it wrong – largely because there was more detail in the sky/clouds and I presumed an ND filter had been used. I’ve also noticed that my phone makes some sunsets more dramatic (although not necessarily accurately colour-wise), especially if I zoom slightly i.e. not full wide angle

• Mad Ralph 20th September 2021 at 10:12 am

Interesting.
      Well done Mikey and Sylvia 👏

• Kenton 20th September 2021 at 4:31 pm

Either way that is a stunning photo. It really is, I’m just an amateur photographer but sometimes I get a better picture on my IPhone than my DSLR. 🧑‍🏫

• grumpybob 20th September 2021 at 10:24 pm

Just depends on the conditions at the time, there is nearly always an element of luck involved. Phone cameras are improving all the time. But the acid test comes when you try to print the pictures on a large scale, as mentioned above. This has been a really interesting thread though – very thought-provoking

• Denny essex 23rd September 2021 at 8:36 am

Hi Gulfstream granny I think the first is phone second dslr,
      My reason is the first when blown up has a lot of pixelation and fuzziness.
      Kind regards Dennis Essex.

Add