Home Forums Book Club I’m reading this…. Has anyone finished...

Deleted User Posted 10 months ago
I’m reading this…. Has anyone finished it? There’s mixed reviews.
9 likes & 52 replies
    • Daisyroots 13th February 2021 at 3:42 pm

It’ll be really interesting to hear what you thought of it 😊

• BridgetWren 13th February 2021 at 9:58 pm

I found it spellbinding. A truly remarkable book. I hope you enjoy it.

• Wendy B 21st February 2021 at 5:38 pm

I loved it – one of the best books I’ve read over the last “year of restrictions”. It’s very atmospheric and I actually found it quite believeable.
      There’s a great twist at the end.

• Deleted User 21st February 2021 at 6:08 pm

I finished it. I did enjoy it, very descriptive. It didn’t feel completely believable for me. I can see it as a film. Apparently Recce Witherspoon has bought the film rights!

• Wendy B 21st February 2021 at 9:20 pm

Oo that’s exciting. It will make a great film.

• DeniV 25th February 2021 at 2:27 pm

Loved it!

• LauraJ 25th February 2021 at 5:10 pm

Not quite finished it yet, and taking my time. It has such beautiful imagery and observations of nature which I really enjoy and it usually puts me in a very tranquil mood when I read it. Although I must agree that the situation of Kya is highly unusual and terribly sad.

My daughter’s partner had read it and apparently really enjoyed it so he decided to buy it for me for Christmas. He is a great nature lover, and is also crazy about life in the US, so its location being appealing made perfect sense. However I was still surprised on reading it, that he’d enjoyed it as much as he did, so this has made me aware of what a truly sensitive and deep person he is, and also that we probably have more in common than I would previously have imagined!

• SouthernSoftie 13th April 2021 at 5:39 pm

If you liked this I think you will like The Light Through the Leaves, just read it after Crawdads. Also about a young girl in the wilds.
        I like the fact its where I have visited in the States and about wildlife.
        Author Glendy Vande

• Deleted User 25th February 2021 at 5:21 pm

If you read up on the author and her background you can understand how she manages to describe the Marsh so beautifully. I’m glad I persevered with it. 😊

• Julieannewilson6 25th February 2021 at 8:43 pm

Loved the book and yes the ending wasn’t what I was expecting at all…..

• Fiona A B 2nd March 2021 at 4:59 pm

I loved this book and yes it did seem implausable but I didnt mind that. I also did not predict the ending!

• Lu Maxfield 8th March 2021 at 2:23 pm

Well-written, with a wonderful grasp of nature and well-rounded characters.. Won’t say too much, as you haven’t finished it, but a little far-fetched, never mind, it’s a book! Some red herrings too, but in essence the story of a collector.

• Deleted User 8th March 2021 at 2:51 pm

I’ve finished it now and agree. Beautifully described but questions about the reality. Liking forward to sine it in screen though!

• EIGNA 8th March 2021 at 5:10 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Description was beautiful and although the story line was far fetched, at the time of reading it, that didn’t seem to matter. Interesting at the end.

• steelekaren99 9th March 2021 at 10:20 pm

Yes finished it. I found it a bit repetitive and the beginning when she was left on her own a bit far fetched. And then it just tailed away. Hope I haven’t said too much. Karen

• loislane 13th April 2021 at 5:41 pm

Think of the times it’s set in, and to me it isn’t far fetched at all, even quite a lot of kids today live in total poverty all over the world, parents die, are imprisoned or just walk away, kids fend for themselves.

• Deleted User 13th April 2021 at 8:58 pm

I think it was how she appeared enigmatic and a mystery even as a child and the speed with which she learnt to read that seemed not as believable.

• Deleted User 10th March 2021 at 1:47 am

It’s definitely a book that splits opinion! 😊📖

• Crackers 24th March 2021 at 7:30 am

Loved it!

• Chris H 24th March 2021 at 8:00 am

I really enjoyed this book. Very descriptive of the marshes where the main story takes place Great atmosphere created. All the characters are believable and real.
      Thoroughly recommend this book

• Deleted User 24th March 2021 at 8:13 am

I loved the imagery but wasn’t convinced about the characters. Looking forward to the film!

• Jojo15 28th March 2021 at 1:22 pm

Loved this! I didn’t realise it was being made into a film. I hope they do it justice. A beautiful book. Enjoy!

• Deleted User 28th March 2021 at 4:52 pm

I finished it, did enjoy. I think the imagery will be great on film!

• Annette Rose 29th March 2021 at 8:52 pm

Loved the book. Quite a realistic view of a part of American “culture”.

• Deleted User 29th March 2021 at 8:57 pm

I wasn’t sure how realistic the characters were. 🤔

• Lesley100 5th April 2021 at 10:04 pm

I so enjoyed this book !

• Issiejane154 6th April 2021 at 9:04 am

We had it for our book club and loved it. Like others say it is beautifully descriptive, slightly unbelievable and the ending was a shock. Finish it!!

• Chrissie of the island 8th April 2021 at 5:04 pm

I loved this book, possibly my favourite read of the last few years.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th April 2021 at 10:43 pm

I loved it. Beautifully written, memorable characters, excellent descriptions of the marshes and wildlife all culminating in a breathtaking ending!

• SouthernSoftie 13th April 2021 at 5:12 pm

I loved it.

• MazzaD 19th April 2021 at 4:25 pm

I loved this book!! One of my faves, the descriptions of the marshes were wonderful and got totally drawn in. I hear it’s soon to be a film. Highly recommended.

• Wjwalt 20th April 2021 at 1:54 pm

I really enjoyed it. Started to read it from “behind the cushion” because I was expecting something really bad to happen.

• Davidjh 5th November 2021 at 9:37 am

It’s a lovely and also moving book about growing up , finding love and how life turns out in adversity , with a gripping ending , well written and fills the imagination of life where the story is told

• Gary K 5th November 2021 at 11:39 am

I reviewed it for the book club I run. Well paced, really well described characters, a story of the cruelty of the rejection of difference by the population of a small, insular community, together with an insightful thread of respect, the nurturing of talent, and what develops into an unlikely and loving relationship. Really good read.

Add