Home Forums General I’m a new author and would like advice on how to get published please?

Add comment

• I’m a new author and would like advice on how to get published please?

It’s an amusing semi autobiographical book entitled “Lifting The Lid On The House Of Lords” dealing with my funny/serious moments during my 17 years as one of the staff officers in Black Rod’s Department.

Posted by joyceandmikec
Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Reply by Deborah Durbin

Hi Mike,

I’m a journalist and author of 14 books, so if you need any extra advice, feel free to message me at [email protected]

Your book sounds very interesting and I think it would attract a lot of interest from agents and publishers. First and foremost, write the book and a synopsis to send out to agents or publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts. Much like any industry at the moment, publishers are running very slow with backlogs of work, so if you want to get your book out quickly, you can always self-publish it for free with Amazon’s Direct Publishing and find a publisher at a later date. I’d advise any author never to pay to have their work published. Hope that helps.

• Reply by joyceandmikec

Hello Deborah,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to give me what sounds like very sensible advice – especially the bit about not paying!   I’m at 90K+ words at present and just working on an ending.   I’m satisfied with the beginning and most of the “meat” – just need to polish up the conclusion.

Once again, thanks for the encouragement!

Ever, Mike

• Reply by tsangjk

I would some advice on using copyright photographs for a non fiction book I am writing.  The working title is called ‘An illustrative  look at the Houses of Parliament”.  I completed the first draft and this include ‘cut and paste’ photographs of the interiors and exterior of the builidng.  These are ‘cut and paste’ from their site and from google images. These photos are temporary formats to give me an idea of what the book could look like.  The Parliament website I can use the downloaded photographs on the condition that “they will not be used for marketing or commerical use’.  I would like clarity on what is the definition of ‘commerical use?’  Also on Google images are similar photographs taken from photo agencie who request payment for each image used.  At this stage without a publisher, I can’t afford them.  I’m still waiting to hear from a traditonal publsher.  Self publishing organisations are a con asking for a fee!!  So I might consider self publishing myself.  But it is the issue of using copyright photos that I finding a problem. So if there is anyone out there who can give me some advice.  Thank you.

• Reply by Deborah Durbin

Hi tsangjk,

As with any work in print, everything is protected by copyright laws, whether that be a photo or text. People have often got caught out assuming that they can use an image from Google Images without permission, so always find out who the photographer is and ask their permission. Because your book would be classed as ‘for commercial use’, meaning that you wish to make money from it, you will need permission for each photo you use in the book. Alternatively, take the photos yourself. If a mainstream publisher is interested enough to publish your book, they will have access to and purchase any photos they think will compliment your book. If you decide to self-publish, then you will have to either purchase the photos you require or ask the original photographer for their permission and give them credit. I know many photographers who are more than happy to allow their photos to be used. Hope that helps.

• Reply by ritaadam1

I am a published writer (novelist) and a playwright. Several pieces performed. Just send stuff out. Rejection was frequent but keep going. I avoided A Mcauley. Small publisher who were very supportive. Very hard work but stimulating.

• Reply by joyceandmikec

thanks Rita!

ever,

Mike

• Reply by ritaadam1

I am a published writer (novelist) and a playwright. Several pieces performed. Just send stuff out. Rejection was frequent but keep going.

• Reply by davidriddell925

I’ve had a couple of books published but the process is long and tedious and the commission I received was only 10% of sales. I am now writing another book and am following the lead of a friend by self-publishing via Amazon KDP. You have complete control, even of the price of the book, and get 70% commission, paid monthly rather than yearly. I am promised that it is a relatively easy process, and KDP have lots of really clear videos to guide authors.

• Reply by joyceandmikec

Thank you very much young sir, I’ll think on what you say!

Ever,

Mike

• Reply by elainewheeler49

Under no circumstances go with Austin Mc Cauley publisher. I wrote a book called “Thank you Ma’am. It was published but they have done nothing to promote the book.

• Reply by joyceandmikec

Very many thanks for the prompt reply!   Personal question? – Feel free to ignore it.   Did book sales make any money or where you out of pocket?

I’ve really enjoyed writing the manuscript and a couple of friends said they “couldn’t put it down” but I’m dreading the slog through the publishing maze if I’m honest.   I bet you really enjoyed holding the finished product in your hands?

Ever,

Mike

The best advice is get a literary agent. I think they take 15% but that is nothing and they do all the hard work if getting publisher etc. I am £2300 out of pocket with many Cauley to advoid like the death. I have heard that Penguin are good. If your book is any good they will pay you up front. Let me know how you get on. My email is [email protected]

Regards and good luck Elaine

• Reply by joyceandmikec

Hi Elaine,

sound advice.   I’ll keep you in the loop.

Ever, Mike

When sending my book I wrote it as a love story but they put under the genre of erotic. People who have bought it, mainly friends, have all given me fantastic reviews. Just need the break. Do keep in touch and let me know how you get on you have my email. Best of luck. Regards Elaine

• Reply by karin

Hi, I found my publisher on Twitter. Last year I began to pitch to publishers without much luck. Then one day I began to look around on Twitter for requisition editors and found one who was looking for pitches. It just so happened that the publishers she works for publish the kind of books related to my topic. Four months later I signed the publishing deal and I am about to submit the first draft of the manuscript. It’s very exciting!

Mine is a non-fiction. With non-fiction books you only submit a synopsis of the book and a short paragraph synopsis of each chapter plus 10,000 words or so. Once it has been accepted, the hard work begins. I’m really pleased that I didn’t have to go down the road of self-publishing, I don’t think I would have managed the process on my own, now I have a whole team working on my behalf. How lucky I am!

You might find it will take a lot of tries with different agents and publishers, but don’t give up, carry on pitching and, something very few writers do, keep reviewing your book: changes will come up as you re-reading and re-write and mostly these will improve you chances. Someone out there will be wanting exactly what you are writing.

Good luck!

• Reply by joyceandmikec

Thank you very much indeed for the encouragement!   I’ve really enjoyed the writing bit – now for the hard bit – publishing.

I once saw this dung beetle in Africa rolling this big thing up a hill…………….

Ever,

Miked

• Reply by coralraven

Sounds really interesting, I would imagine a publisher would be interested in it!  The Writers and Artists Yearbook 2020 is useful, it lists publishers and agents in the UK, and is full of advice on publishing.  I am also looking for a publisher myself, having just completed the manuscript for a book.

• Reply by joyceandmikec

Thanks!   I’ll certainly give it a whirl.   Mike

• Reply by Stuart

Hi!    This sounds like a very interesting read and best of luck with it…..

We have a number of authors in the Rest Less community that I’m sure will be able to offer their opinions.

In the meantime, one of our writers got published herself and wrote a guide on how to go about getting published.   You can read it here – https://restless.co.uk/leisure-and-lifestyle/staying-productive/how-to-write-a-book-and-get-it-published/

I do hope it is of interest and it would be great to hear the experiences of others on the community too!

Stuart

• Reply by joyceandmikec

Very many thanks for your swift response.

I’ll get on it right away!

Yours ever,

Mike

Viewing 9 reply threads