Home Forums Health I’m 60. I want to learn yoga. But I’m...

victoriaobrien32 Posted 1 year ago
I’m 60. I want to learn yoga. But I’m not sure where to start.

I think it would help give me some peace of mind. As well, as calm me down. I have trouble sleeping, thinking about the situation, many of us find ourselves in. I want learn self meditation and improve my mindset.

21 likes & 51 replies
    • loislane 6th January 2021 at 2:39 pm

You tube, prime have all sorts of fitness programmes including stretching, dance and yoga, maybe Netflix, a lot are free so try that first.

• Jananne 28th January 2021 at 7:18 pm

Hi, I’ve been doing yoga with Adriene for nearly a year now, and it’s free – bonus! I’m 67. I find her so ‘normal’ and she explains things really well. Check it out if you have you tube. You just do it in your own time. My best time is when I first get up, gives me something to get up for then I’m ready to face the day. She also does some meditation. Good luck if you try it out. I know there are a lot of different sites to try, but this one appeals to me. 🙏

• Su Gate 1st April 2021 at 11:10 am

you must start its great way of relaxing overall body n mind

• paulinevaughan2015 1st April 2021 at 11:28 am

I woul recommend Yoga4All with WEA, via Zoom
      I’ve completed a term and the classes are so gentle. Most of the exercises can be done sat down if you have mobility problems.
      The teacher is very understanding and experienced. With it being through WEA the fees are affordable and in some cases free.
      The students are older so it’s a comfortable and supportive atmosphere.

• Angie66 3rd April 2021 at 11:46 am

There is some great beginners courses on YouTube 👍

• Keith D 29th July 2021 at 7:15 pm

Can I recommend that you contact your local health centres, as they may run yoga in different forms and levels.
      I have been doing Hatha yoga for over 15years, I’m now 72
      I am doing it on zoom with the same tea her, who makes every class fun. Its compulsory to smile lol

Yoga like learning music, or singing in choirs or many other things can be loved or loathed?
      , that’s why I suggest you try a class or 2 then decide If its what you want? Good luck

• Taylor68 29th July 2021 at 7:26 pm

I started yoga at 51 and love it. All ages, genders and abilities go. It’s calming and makes your body feel great. It doesn’t matter what you can and can’t do. It’s what feels good for you. Find a local class to join. There’s also plenty on YouTube too. Go for it!!

• Willingdon 29th July 2021 at 7:29 pm

I’d like to join a local group but they tend to be in the daytime. I work full time so it would have to be evenings or weekends. I can’t do it at home so need a class.

• Chalkie 29th July 2021 at 7:30 pm

Local Leisure centres often run yoga classes.

• Jananne 29th July 2021 at 8:33 pm

As some others have added, try Yoga with Adriene on you tube it’s very good and free!!! Good luck 😉

• Lucy Richmond 29th July 2021 at 9:00 pm

Hello Victoria. I’ve been practicing yoga for over 20 years and really can recommend it as a way of calming down. As you are having trouble sleeping would suggest trying Yoga Nidra which is a type of meditation. Suggest finding a good teacher. Unlike others I would recommend paying and giving Triyoga a go as they have some of the best teachers going and a wonderful selection of different classes available both online and in person at various London locations. They have several starter deals. In terms of actual yoga classes it’s a matter of finding a style of yoga you enjoy. Yin yoga is a very relaxing style of yoga where you hold the posses of a long time. Good luck.

• Wills 29th July 2021 at 9:41 pm

I’d second the comments above about yoga and the benefits, just a small suggestion to add – to help calm your mind down and aid sleeping if you have an ipad/tablet I would recommend a free jigsaw puzzle app – I’ve found that 15 minutes of that before going to sleep has helped improve my sleeping and helped me to switch my mind off from work.

• alanski 1st August 2021 at 4:50 pm

I’m going to try the jigsaw idea. ‘ll try anything to improve my sleeping pattern. I’m fed up with waking at 3:30/4:00am!

• redman 31st July 2021 at 12:18 pm

i have just done yoga at leisure centre as i cant do on line as i live in a bungalow, no space, missed nearly two years of it,i started with a book, richard hittleman at 28 and am now 74. even getting in is hard as had to book on line, but have rung up twice.its not easy with technics

• redman 31st July 2021 at 12:20 pm

how do you put on profile

• Rob1000 1st August 2021 at 5:08 pm

Have a look at the Yoga Studio app. It’s a monthly subscription but I’ve been using it for years. Would also recommend the app ‘Calm’ – I’ve found that really helpful in calming my over-thinking!

• Yellow 15th August 2021 at 9:26 am

I did yoga and Pilates for a long time until.l broke my ankle and then l.moved house and Covid happened. I found it very good mentally and physically. I’m not very good at doing things on line. In the complex where l live we had now lockdown has eased a little a lovely seated yoga class every 2 weeks there were 2 sessions and then they stopped something to do with funding! I find seated yoga classes very hard to find as they are either a day and especially a time unsuitable. Also l have to travel by bus they never seem to be local that l can get to easily.

• Rob M 16th August 2021 at 8:45 am

Try YouTube?, loads of free to watch vids to get you started?. Rob

• redman 17th August 2021 at 2:30 pm

go to a easy class, i go to class at leisure centre, you do as much or as less as you are able, i cant do zoom as i live in bungalow, no space

• pamc 23rd August 2021 at 11:15 am

Hi, I started practising Yoga some time ago, and I am 68 years old. Have a look at Yin Yoga, it’s quite a gentle form to start with, but can be adjusted by your teacher to your capabilities.
      I was lucky to find a great teacher, who knows of my problems with arthritis, and keeps an eye on me!

Good luck, it’s worth looking around.
      Pam x

• David67 5th September 2021 at 10:11 am

Hi
      I started yoga through work and my yoga teacher after lockdown happened see started on live. She has an amazing app. Always there to answer your questions, if you are not sure how to start message on Instagram or Facebook, Felicity Woods Yoga, I couldn’t recommend enough

• brereton59 7th September 2021 at 9:48 am

I’m 62 and tried yoga 5 years ago when it was on offer at my workplace. However I found that I couldn’t do the stretches and didn’t like the buddhist meditations (partly because I follow a different faith) and found Pilates easier to get on with. Perhaps I should persevere more with yoga. Any suggestions.

• SouthernSoftie 7th September 2021 at 10:01 am

I went on a Yoga retreat in Italy about 8 years ago , they cater for all levels. We had such a fantastic time I wanted to continue on my return. Think its best to start with classes, try a few to find a teacher and style you like. I went to some halls that were so cold you could not enjoy the class.
      I have now been doing yoga at home for the last 2 years every day. Yoga with Adrienne .. I think it has made a difference to my bode and keeps the weight off. I am late 60’s ..

• IndiraSiri 9th September 2021 at 2:35 pm

I teach yoga in the community to all ages and abilities, including adults with learning disability. Just inform the teacher if you are beginner and if you have any medical condition. Just start with an open mind, listen to your body and do what you can, to slowly develop confidence and stamina. Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help. [email protected]

• MichelleN 16th September 2021 at 8:09 am

Hi I have a large yoga online yoga studio. There are 20 online yoga and Pilates classes weekly. We have many different kinds of yoga. You can talk to the teacher before and after class if you like. You can keep your camera on or off. It’s been very popular since lockdown started. FIRST CLASS FREE then £29 pcm for unlimited classes or £5 pay as you go. Happy to chat to you or http://www.sandstoneyoga.co.uk best wishes and good luck. Yoga is a lifesaver x

• Kaycee17 16th September 2021 at 9:55 pm

I started doing Yoga with Kassandra on YouTube during the first lockdown and still doing it every day now. You can choose between a quick 10 minute morning session or anything up to an hour and a half. I definitely feel calmer and sleep much better now.

• Monnie 22nd October 2021 at 10:21 am

Try You Tube yoga first. I am 78 so do armchair Tai Chi. Really works muscles. 10 minutes is enough to get the benefit and the instructors are excellent.

• Dr Yvonne 28th October 2021 at 11:03 am

I started yoga years ago and the teacher had meditation at the end which was the first time I had tried it. I got a bit agitated sitting doing nothing but after I felt so relaxed. I am still doing it every day!

• Suzt 14th November 2021 at 9:20 am

Just find a local group and join up. Best thing I ever did, it’s led me to have a great friendship group which has proved invaluable since taking early retirement

• Packers 15th November 2021 at 10:43 am

Go for it. You won’t be disappointed.
      I had a total knee replacement about 10 years ago and about 7 years ago my other knee was reaching the pain threshold where I was about to have that knee replaced too.
      I stared doing yoga at my local leisure club. I was the only man there… and I still am! Since practising 3 times a week over the years my knee pain has reduced so much that it gives me very little pain.
      Perhaps start at your local U3A group? It’s likely to be gentle practice until you decide that you might want to take up more strenuous exercises. Good luck.
      Pete

• Fanie 17th November 2021 at 7:29 pm

I was a yoga teacher before lockdown and used to have a very small friendly gentle class.
      I think if you haven’t tried before it’s best to start with gentle Hatha yoga class.
      Lots of teachers teach online, but it’s probably best to join a live class.
      Good luck

Add