Home Forums General I was at a Coaching Workshop today and we were dis...

• I was at a Coaching Workshop today and we were discussing, the types of needs people have to hire one. Is there a demand for support from a Coach, to help people of a certain age work out what they want to achieve next in their life.

Coaching people, age related changes… what are they and could a Coach support them through it or help them to achieve that goal. What do you think?

Posted by Mel212
    • Reply by Mad Ralph

Hi Mel

It’s an interesting question.

I’d say yes the need is there but I’m not sure people would be willing to pay for it or even know they need coaching. I’ve a friend who struggles with anything to do with the internet but he doesn’t think using the internet is necessary. (He gets by without using it but doesn’t realise it can make his life so much easier. Internet banking for instance, he still travels to the bank to make all his transactions) My point is that unless people understand the benefits they won’t seek the information.

• Reply by Mel212

Hi Mad Ralph
        With every goal like learning online banking, first the individual has to want to learn to do it and understand the benefits. If its a matter of having the confidence, this is in tune with the work of a coach to help explore,with the individual their self- limiting beliefs through question based conversation. In this individuals can see that there a more things a 50-70 year old can achieve if they understand how self-limiting beliefs can limit their ability.

Mel212

• Reply by Reverend Nick

It’s by no means a bad idea – but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on avoiding a dependency culture between the coach and coachee. A good coach will assist you in taking stock of your situation from the point of view of someone standing back – but at the end of the day, whatever it is you want to do, a life coach can’t do it for you – it’s something you have to do for yourself.

• Reply by Mel212

Hi Reverend Nick

Some individuals have dependency personalities I agree, but Coaching, is not(Counselling or Mentoring)but an experience Coach, would understand about boundaries.
        The real work of a Coach helps plan goals explore self-limiting beliefs, empowering the individual to put in the work to make the desired changes that they want.

Mel212

• Reply by Salelly

Yes

• Reply by Mel212

Hello Salelly,
        Is this a ‘yes’ you know how a Coach works to empower individuals? Or ‘yes’ you agree with the Reverend that somethings creates a dependency culture.

Mel212

• Reply by Mel212

I love the subject of Fitness & Wellness as we come out of the pandemic especially post menopausal women. It’s so easy to put on unhelpful weigh gains in the past lockdowns and I wonder if this rings a bell with anyone and can you see a Coach keeping you on track to a healthy lifestyle again.

Mel212

Add